Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-19-2013, 06:20 PM   #1
H. L. Chauvin

Default Speedometer Again

Just a repeat in case somebody really "needs" this type of fast speedometer service for a quick speedometer repair.

I did not need it this quick, but just passing this on in case it helps somebody in a bind for time.

1. Had late 1930 speedometer on my Town Sedan that was registering from 0 to 35 & bouncing when the car was driven -- had no idea what speed I was going -- background on numbers was yellow in lieu of white -- parts of some numbers bubbled off.

2. Removed only the black, back cover & with no further disassembly, only removed "visible" black, caked hard grease with wood toothpick, & then re-lubricated the visible gears with white lithium grease.

3. After re-assembly, it quit bouncing; however, with a GPS, & my son following at 40 mph, the speedometer was registering 45 mph. Also at rest, speedometer registered about 2 mph.

4. Have new 3:27 ring & pinion gear, new 3:27 driveshaft adapter gear device from Bert's, & new lubricated speedometer cable.

5. After speedometer working & off 5 mph, checked odometer which appeared accurate with a 12 mile drive; hence, the speedometer gear ratios appeared to be OK because of accurate odometer reading.

6. First notified Mr. Nichols of all previous & present problems & this past Wednesday, August 14, 2013, I mailed him my speedometer via First Class Standards 3 day mail to:

Mr. Leonard Nichols, 126 Beckwith St, Gouverneur, N,Y, 13642. [email protected]

7. He notified me that he received it & placed it in the mail the same day. Received restored speedometer from him this morning, Monday, August 19, 2013.

8. Looks great & like new. He said he also found it was 5 mph off so he calibrated it. He said he also thoroughly cleaned up everything inside & outside, painted outside, provided new face plate & installed all new numbers with odometer set at 00000 as requested, & thoroughly lubricated it.

9. Will try it soon.

H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:42 PM   #2
ba49

Default Re: Speedometer Again

He does great work and has a really quick turn around time. He recalibrated 2 of mine and they are now right on when compared with the gps.
ba49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:49 PM   #3
Willie Krash

Default Re: Speedometer Again

He communicates too. He follows up. I agree.
Willie Krash is offline   Reply With Quote