Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-25-2014, 10:16 AM   #1
ralphie9n

Default Model A wheel powder coat

Has anyone used the company that sells the correct color powder coat for model a rims? I ordered apple green powder coat over a month and half ago and still haven't received it yet. I was told I would have it 2 weeks ago. I called the contact number today and its been disconnected. I am just wondering if anyone had any dealings with this company.
ralphie9n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:30 PM   #2
green30coupe

Default Re: Model A wheel powder coat

Are you referring to : http://modelawheelcolors.com/ ? I have ordered powder from them twice with excellent service. But, the last time was April of this year.
YOUR NOSE WILL ITCH AND YOU'LL HAVE TO PEE

green30coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:12 PM   #3
ralphie9n

Yes Ed that's who I ordered the powder from. I am hoping it's just a mix up. They don't answer messages when you send them through their website and when I called today the number was disconnected. Time will tell I guess.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:13 PM   #4
tbirdtbird
BANNED

Beware powder coating. It is actually plastic, and can be degraded by solvents. It also cannot be media blasted off, the media just bounces off it.

Right now we have a customer who wants to change his rim colors, and we are trying to figure out how to get the powder coating off so we can get back to bare metal and paint them in the conventional manner.

Anyone have any ideas???
Old 07-25-2014, 07:26 PM   #5
Mitch//pa
BANNED

powder coating is your friend
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:30 PM   #6
tbirdtbird
BANNED

Mitch, how do you get it off or change colors??????
Old 07-25-2014, 07:41 PM   #7
green30coupe

From the FAQ section of MODELAWHEELCOLORS.COM :

Can I have powder coated wheels re-powder coated?
This depends on if the wheels have been properly blasted before they were coated the first time. Assuming so, you can do a light brush blast to roughen the surface of the existing powder, wash, preheat and re-coat. However, there can be some “bleeding” from color to color and it is recommended to top coat with similar colors such as beige over beige, green over green or any color over black. It is always best to sandblast clean and start from scratch. If you need to re-coat a different color over the existing coating, it is suggested that you do a test sample first.
Can I liquid paint over my powder coated wheels?
Yes. Most enamel and water based paint systems will work over powder coating. No lacquer.
YOUR NOSE WILL ITCH AND YOU'LL HAVE TO PEE

green30coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:46 PM   #8
Mitch//pa
BANNED

use this rustoleum aircraft remover or gasket remover..then after most is off bead blast it...
needs to be done chemically
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (36.9 KB, 72 views)

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 07-25-2014 at 08:10 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:29 PM   #9
Brother Hesekiel

"Correct" and "powder coat" in one sentence seems wrong . . .

Brother Hesekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:48 PM   #10
Tom Wesenberg

I worked on a generator that was powdercoated. I finally had to scrape it off with a sharp kitchen knife. Hot antifreeze removed the powdercoating from the inside of my lower water pipe in a few hours of run time.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:30 AM   #11
ralphie9n

Just wanted to update. I still have not received my powder coat. The phone number is still disconnected and my emails have gone unanswered. Model A Wheel colors website is still up and powder can still be ordered so just be advised that you probably won't get your order and will be out money. I just wanted to warn anyone that was thinking of ordering powder coat from them to do so at your own risk.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:43 AM   #12
Franchise_24

You need to call your credit card so they can reverse the charge so you are not out any money.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:38 AM   #13
31 RPU

What is their shipping address?
Is this the same company that is/was called
Northwest Powdercoatings in Washington?
31 RPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 11:58 AM   #14
JohnLaVoy

I have spoken with the company in the past about getting together for an interview. Apparently they live part time in Hawaii and travel back and forth. Perhaps that is the reason they are not answering the phone etc.
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 02:18 PM   #15
ralphie9n

The charges came up as northwest powder coatings. I did speak to a women a month ago and she said that I would have it in a week. Never received it and when I called back the number was disconnected.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:04 PM   #16
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphie9n View Post
Just wanted to update. I still have not received my powder coat. The phone number is still disconnected and my emails have gone unanswered. Model A Wheel colors website is still up and powder can still be ordered so just be advised that you probably won't get your order and will be out money. I just wanted to warn anyone that was thinking of ordering powder coat from them to do so at your own risk.
I really did not want to initially weigh in when you first posted but my experiences with them many years ago was not pleasant either. Like someone else suggested, call your Credit Card company and have the charges reversed, ...then move on.

BTW, I realize this can be confusing but powder-applied paint is indeed plastic however a good quality sprayed urethane paint is too. My method of removing powder paint from a wheel is to re-bake it in the oven for 30 minutes at 400 degrees. This over-cures the paint and makes it brittle. Next we put it in our hot caustic tank overnight. The next day we use a steam cleaner to pressure was what is left remaining.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 05:17 PM   #17
Roadster62

Is painting wheels really that hard? I painted my first set when I was 16 years old. How do the "Fine Point" fellows view powder coating? Bob
Old 08-03-2014, 07:14 AM   #18
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster62 View Post
Is painting wheels really that hard? I painted my first set when I was 16 years old. How do the "Fine Point" fellows view powder coating? Bob
The "fine point" judges accept powder coating on wheels, ...they just count off for 'Over-restoration' and 'Workmanship'. Powder coating generally leaves a thicker, textured finish, -which is not what the Judge prefers to see. The judge is looking for a slick, smooth finish with very little mil thickness.

Bob, your point about painting them is valid but face it, most restorers today are lazy, ...and as such they are looking for the easy way out. Powder coating is easier. Some argue it is more durable, but in reality it is the same as urethane paint.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:02 AM   #19
George D

Just wondering, what would be a good material for filling small rust pits before powder coating, that won't weeken with heat?
George D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:31 AM   #20
Roadster62

That just sounds crazy to me, you need a fan belt and wiring harness that left the Ford Factory 1928-31 but plastic crap on your wheels is OK? I'd rather see the fine weld spatter at the spoke ends that the plastic baked on stuff hides. Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
The "fine point" judges accept powder coating on wheels, ...they just count off for 'Over-restoration' and 'Workmanship'. Powder coating generally leaves a thicker, textured finish, -which is not what the Judge prefers to see. The judge is looking for a slick, smooth finish with very little mil thickness.

Bob, your point about painting them is valid but face it, most restorers today are lazy, ...and as such they are looking for the easy way out. Powder coating is easier. Some argue it is more durable, but in reality it is the same as urethane paint.