Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-11-2017, 04:14 PM   #1
danliveshere

Default Bob drakes

I was recently in Grants Pass Oregon and called in at Bob Drakes. The team were really friendly and Trent showed me around even with his busy schedule. It was good to meet the team. Learned a lot even in such a short visit. I'd just like to say thanks to the team at Drakes and I expect to have plenty of calls ordering parts for the current and future projects.
danliveshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:44 PM   #2
Talkwrench

Default Re: Bob drakes

How you been Danny ?
Old 01-11-2017, 07:42 PM   #3
DavidG

Pluses and minuses. I recently received an order from them sent to the wrong address and instead of two starter switch to starter cable grommets, they sent two pairs of '32 headlamp wire stainless steel conduits. Ironically, the date when they could be returned is long past because of the address screwup and while it is a little hard to understand how two 1 1/2" black grommets could be confused with foot long shiny conduits (pretty but worthless as they are 3" too long), you can't run a successful business by sending out $20 parts for the price of $2 parts.
DavidG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:17 PM   #4
J Franklin

Sh-t happens even to the best.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:23 PM   #5
uncle buck

Trent is a very humble and great guy. Regardless of his busy schedule he is almost always willing give a quick tour and answer questions. DavidG , I completely understand your comment . It is frustrating for both you and them I'm sure. I deal with it daily both receiving and delivering parts. That human factor seems to bite me.
uncle buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 04:37 PM   #6
supereal

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Aside from the usual long backorders, Drake usually comes thru. If you get the wrong part, they will often tell you that no one else has complained. I once ordered a full set of nuts for the head studs and they sent chrome nut covers instead. When I called them, they said just keep them, as it wasn't worth the cost to ship them back. When I ordered trunk lid hinges, they weren't close to being right. They told me I "must have an odd car". I do admire Bob Drake's devotion to the hobby, but his order dept doesn't seem to share it.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:07 PM   #7
Lawrie

You get some bearings while you were there Danny.
We will be away from the end of next week till mid march.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:10 PM   #8
Rustedjunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by supereal View Post
Aside from the usual long backorders, Drake usually comes thru. If you get the wrong part, they will often tell you that no one else has complained. I once ordered a full set of nuts for the head studs and they sent chrome nut covers instead. When I called them, they said just keep them, as it wasn't worth the cost to ship them back. When I ordered trunk lid hinges, they weren't close to being right. They told me I "must have an odd car". I do admire Bob Drake's devotion to the hobby, but his order dept doesn't seem to share it.
I wish he would devote some of his time to selling American made fuel tanks that fit correctly instead of the china crap the doesn't. Other than that Drake is pretty good. I'm glad they're there.
Rustedjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:39 AM   #9
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Pluses and minuses. foot long shiny conduits (pretty but worthless as they are 3" too long)
This is the stuff that drives me mad - when you buy a part and it is obviously nothing like the original (and they don't mention it in the catalog).

I bought a set of those - complete junk. Went back to finding another of the 'missing originals' - but only original stuff . . . fits perfectly every time and is the correct length.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:59 AM   #10
DavidG

My first reaction to the conduits was that they were longer to accommodate dropped head lamp bars, but on a little bit of reflection, they should be shorter than original for that purpose, not longer. Who knows what they were thinking?

I very much appreciate what Bob, Dennis, and other suppliers have done and continue to do to help us sustain our hobby, but it's the exceptions that end up in the trash that leave me wondering what a little more supervision and more thorough prototype procedures could do for their businesses and our hobby.

Last edited by DavidG; 01-13-2017 at 09:05 AM.
DavidG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 05:19 PM   #11
lfson

Agree, Dave.
Imagine the frustration when that junk is being shipped to us in Europé, in some cases at the double cost due to expensive freight and import duties. You open the package and immediately discover the wrong parts or bad fit. Who's paying for the procedure of returning something? The customer!
We have always said here in Sweden that the vendors know the problems and costs involved in returning parts and that's the reason they ship the worst parts on the shelf over here. That's not always true but easy to think when you're disappointed.
Not many can go to the vendor's site and see the parts live. If you can, be sure that "your part" will be on back order at the moment, so call first - hoping that your assistant isn't "busy with another customer".

Good luck from a pessimist that learned it the hard and very expensive way.
lfson is offline   Reply With Quote