Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-21-2015, 05:28 PM   #1
indyhac

Default Manual to Power Steering Conversion

I am in the process of a project to convert my manual steering system to a modern style (No Slave Cylinder) power steering. First of all, I need to say that it's a Mercury (54) not a Ford and therein lies my problem. The problem is with the manual column shift levers. I'm using what's known as a Borgeson conversion kit. This set-up requires that the column shift levers be relocated onto the replacement steering housing after the original steering column sleeve is shortened to allow for the longer length of the new power steering housing. This kit is designed for a Ford column shift, which has the rod that operates the shift levers on the outside of the column. A 54 Mercury has a tube on the inside of the steering column which operates the shift levers. It will be difficult at best, maybe impossible to re-design and fabricate the Mercury steering column and make it work.
The best solution as I see it will be to either find a '52-'54 Ford steering column with the external shift mechanism or find a floor shift conversion kit. Thus far, I have not been able to locate either of these. I've only located a Ford truck steering column which I don't believe is the same as the car. So, If anybody knows where I can find a '52-'54 Ford car steering column with manual shift or a floor shift conversion please contact me!
Thanks, Scott
[email protected]
(317) 432-9190
indyhac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 06:42 PM   #2
butchbov

Default Re: Manual to Power Steering Conversion

I just had a Borgeson box put in a 59 Edsel & it turned out pretty well. I'm using the 2 speed auto trans & stock y-block pump. We didn't think the stock column would work, but it did with some creative work by my buddy Keith.

Also, I have a Hurst Indy 3 speed shifter that will probably work for you if you need it.

You're welcome to come down & look over what we have. I'm in Bloomfield & my cell is 812-381-4671.

In a world filled with stress it is better to give than to receive.
butchbov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 07:07 PM   #3
indyhac

Butch, I'll give you a call tomorrow(Tuesday), I'd like to see your Edsel and I'm definitely interested in the floor shifter. Thanks for your reply.
Scott
Old 12-24-2015, 12:39 PM   #4
5851a

Any way you could use some parts from the later Ford pick ups? Like from the mid sixty's with the shifter inside the tube. Nothing like a Hurst but they did get the job done on millions of Truck. Mercury's had such pretty steering columns without the separate shifter rod.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 11:28 PM   #5
indyhac

Thanks for your offer; I visited butchboy (see above) and got some parts from him. I'll let you know if I need anything else. Right now, it appears that the supplier sent me the wrong gearbox so I have to resolve that before continuing this project!
Scott