Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-13-2021, 08:13 PM   #1
Kilohertz

Default Let's start a junkyard fuel injection discussion

Hi all,

I want to get a discussion going about building a fuel injection system for the flathead using mainly parts you can get at the wreckers. It's easy to spend $1-2K on a new off the shelf system but I want to build something using existing technology, something that is readily available and cheap, and something that will work with our little flatty's.

I have been reading and learning about various injection systems used over the years, both GM and Ford have some good relatively simple systems from the 80's and 90's, I'm sure there are others and certainly imports but I want something we can get readily from our local junk yards.

For the ECM, possibly use something stock, but most likely would need the tunabilty of a Megasquirt or similar controller, something you can adjust and tune on your laptop.

Also would need to figure out what manifold would work, throttle body, adapter plates etc. I would like to incorporate ignition as a possible option, having the timing controlled by the ECM, but that could come later. I think multi-port would be too complex and would require some serious machine work to install all the injectors, fuel rails etc.

I am currently leaning toward a GM system from say a 3.8L or even a 2.8L. Just starting to research what vehicles/engines might be good donors.

So, let's hear what you have to say, have you already built something, thinking about it but not done anything yet like me.....I think between all the smart people on this board, we should be able to come up with a decent system.

Cheers

Last edited by Kilohertz; 02-13-2021 at 11:19 PM.
Kilohertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 09:07 PM   #2
cmbrucew

Default Re: Let's start a junkyard fuel injection discussion

You could find a Holley PRO-Jection at a swap meet. Needs a 15# fuel pump and a return line to the tank. Also 12 volt. Use a GM throttle body 2V from an S10.
Bruce
Old 02-14-2021, 05:07 AM   #3
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilohertz View Post
Hi all,

So, let's hear what you have to say, have you already built something, thinking about it but not done anything yet like me.....I think between all the smart people on this board, we should be able to come up with a decent system.

Cheers
OK, for the sake of discussion, what do you expect to achieve by installing such a system?
Old 02-14-2021, 07:33 AM   #4
tubman

Didn't there used to e a guy that poseted on here that turned some terrific quarter mile ET's (I think I remember 12's) in a 32' 3-window with a fuel-injected 265 ci flathead? Name was "32 something" or "something 32". Anyone else remember this?
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 08:56 AM   #5
Elmo Rodge

Tubman, you're thinking of "Flat32". We modified one of his setups to run without butterflies for my Bonneville Lakester. I think I have attached a picture.
Wayno
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fuel Injection 131.jpg (68.6 KB, 267 views)
Old 02-14-2021, 09:12 AM   #6
Gene1949

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT View Post
OK, for the sake of discussion, what do you expect to achieve by installing such a system?
I can't speak for the op but I've often considered it myself. Just think, no more fuel issues and an updated ignition system

I like to drive my car without the hassles of the ignition issues you read here constantly or the fuel problems. Fuel injection isn't for the purist or someone who like to futz with fuel or ignition issues alongside the road. Again, you read it here every day.
That's why I went to an electric fuel pump updated fuel hoses and a very simple 4GC carb.
A GM type distributer with a magnetic pickup, HEI brain and a late model "E" coil driving platinum plugs. Very compact setting between the passenger water pump and distributor base
Gene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 09:43 AM   #7
tubman

Thanks "Wayno", that's him. I made a few mistakes in my post. First, it wasn't here; it was on the H.A.M.B. Here's a link : https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...d-tune.942729/. Second, it wasn't the twelves, it was the thirteens; still pretty impressive with a full-fendered steel car. This was from 2014; I believe he did dip into the 12's later. And third, it was not 265 ci, it was 268 ci.

Does that answer your question "51 MERC-CT"?

It's probably not really relevant here, though.
Old 02-14-2021, 09:50 AM   #8
Ol' Ron

Back in the late 90's I was replacing the engine in my daughter in laws Doge van. Which had a Jap 4 banger in it. It had a one barrel EFI unit on it. I took it home and installed it on a stock 239 flathead. I also took the fuel tank . I had this GE dyno and the engine ran very well, producing more torque than the 94 carb. unfortunately. It wouldn't run over 3000 RPM It was the simplest fuel injection system on the market. Since then I've mage a dozen or so EFI units and never got any running. I blame stupidly and not enough time to devote to it. At present I have a Megasquirt unit which cost less than 400 bucks and has the ignition system it it as well. Put a late 80's GM TB on a merc intake and your in business. When I get the time I'll work on it. But, first. Gota get my 200hp 258 engine running .
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 10:02 AM   #9
Ken Henry

I have Megaquirt EFI on the 8BA in my 51 Tudor, works great! I used a dual carb intake and customized adapters to mount throttle bodies from a Ducati motorcycle. The ignition advance is also controlled by Megaquirt. I’m using the Ford EDIS8 system with a trigger wheel brazed to the crankshaft pulley. Will try to add some photos to this thread later today. It was not easy or inexpensive to put together and the gains in MPG and power were modest on my stock engine. After a performance rebuild though with increased displacement and CR though...
Ken Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 10:14 AM   #10
tubman

Seems to be lotsa mentions of "MegaSquirt" by the guys who have done this successfully.

Ron, I'm just putting the finishing touches on my own fresh 258" with a MAX-1, re-worked Edmunds heads, 2 94's on a Navarro "Universal" manifold and a Mallory dual point among others. Where can I find that extra 60 or 70 HP? Supercharger?
Old 02-14-2021, 10:17 AM   #11
mfirth

I had an 84 Thunderbird V 8 that had what looked like a two throat carb, but was in fact fuel injection. The base looked like the Ford 2 barrel of that era and i actually ran that style carb on an 8Ba for a while on a Merc manifold with adapter. That F I unit had a return line to the tank. Might be worth looking into. ??? .02 cents or nonsense
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 10:18 AM   #12
mfirth

Denny, what will the 258 go into ???
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 10:40 AM   #13
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Thanks "Wayno", that's him. I made a few mistakes in my post. First, it wasn't here; it was on the H.A.M.B. Here's a link : https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...d-tune.942729/. Second, it wasn't the twelves, it was the thirteens; still pretty impressive with a full-fendered steel car. This was from 2014; I believe he did dip into the 12's later. And third, it was not 265 ci, it was 268 ci.

Does that answer your question "51 MERC-CT"?

It's probably not really relevant here, though.
My question was posted for the OP.
Are you speaking for the OP?
Old 02-14-2021, 10:45 AM   #14
Elmo Rodge

On my car I'm running AEM electronics. Incredible tunability for each cylinder. I've run 172 mph so far with an otherwise fairly mild motor. 284 inches 1.6 intake 1.5 exhaust.
Wayno
Old 02-14-2021, 10:45 AM   #15
tubman

"T" tub "Hot Rod". It used to be a bucket, but somebody stole the body (!) while it was in winter storage eons ago. I am resurrecting it as a "Tub" (still a two-seater) to get some decent interior room. Because of my current back, heart, and Corvette problems, it is officially now a "stalled project".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TubFrame.jpg (43.6 KB, 159 views)
Old 02-14-2021, 11:41 AM   #16
Kilohertz

Good morning guys,

Wow! Lots of overnight activity, great.

Well 51-Merc to answer your question first, there are multiple reasons for venturing down the FI path. For one, I am tired of trying to find 60 year old carbs to fit manifolds they weren't designed for, then make them work, fix worn throttle shafts etc. As much as I enjoy tinkering on carbs, points and weights, I've been doing it for 40 some odd years and want to learn and tinker with something newer and combine my electronics knowledge with my mechanical ability. I really like the flathead engine, and this truck build is my first exposure to flatheads, and it's grown on me. It's also my first ground up build, this truck basically has an engine and trans and rear end, all other systems need to be built and installed, so I can pick the fuel tank and pump to work with FI, return lines etc.. I still have the LS engine sitting in the garage, and a couple of good 302s in trucks which would drop right in, but I want this to be a cool old hot rod, with a little bit of a modern twist.

Yes, Megasquirt appeals to me as it comes as a PCB kit and it's something I could assemble in my sleep, although I may find a used one already built. I have a '95 truck with a 350 sitting at the back of the property, under 3' of snow which will have to wait until spring before I can start robbing parts from it, if they are suitable. I think the TB will be too large, but the distributor would be useful if I decide to use GM parts, also the sensors and ECM may be usable.

Some good ideas presented so far as well. I really like the dual motorbike TB idea as they are small and could be a good match for the dual intakes. I have an Offy 4 bbl intake, as well I am in the process of acquiring a Merc 2 bbl manifold which may be what I start with.

I have read about the EDIS system but still need to do more research. O'l Ron I recall seeing a post from you on another forum a few years ago basically asking the same thing, I didn't see much of a reply from that group.

And you boys that have built a system already, yes please, post some pictures for us.

More later.

Cheers

PS here are a few links that I found quite informative.

https://www.fuelinjectedford.com/page1.html

https://www.binderplanet.com/forums/...rt-here.47254/

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=69362

Last edited by Kilohertz; 02-14-2021 at 12:05 PM.
Kilohertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 12:47 PM   #17
demiller

I must say that I am quite surprised at the response, most flathead guys are traditionalists and ignore anything "modern", hell most of them scream at the mention of a T5. I my opinion a tb system is a waste of time, get a 4bl manifold, drill it and weld nozzle bungs in it.The ms system would be a steep learning curve, its not like say an ls where there are loads of tuning maps available all three of the domestic auto makers have adaptable systems up until they went can bus. I think an EEC4 system from a 5.0 Mustang would fill the bill successfully. If you go that route an A9L ecm would be the one to get, plus a tweeker so you can pull some timing and fuel out, then you could even hang a hairdryer on it to really get them looking at you in disgust
demiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 04:18 PM   #18
Ken Henry

Here are a few pictures of my setup. The throttle bodies are Ducati S4R and have one injector each that squirts in below the throttle plate. I swapped the green top Ducati injectors for yellow Subaru injectors that flow ~50% more fuel, as I found the duty cycle was close to maxing out on the originals. Megasquirt is a little tricky to get the hang of and uses TunerStudio running on a laptop for tuning. I bought the 'full' version for a few dollars and it has an autotune function that helps get the fuel map dialed in. There is no way I could got it working without that feature! Other hassles:
running a fuel return line, installing a high pressure electric fuel pump (I put mine in the stock tank), and fitting the trigger wheel to the 8ba crankshaft pulley. I originally tried to run the ignition with Petronix in the distributor and Megasquirt as the coil driver, but couldn't get it to work well. The Ford EDIS system is a little older now but very robust and works great. This was my first conversion. I've since done the same on my Corvair and it was much easier thanks to lessons learned! Each conversion has to be at least $1500, though I don't dare try to add up receipts for any of this. I'm on the younger side for the flathead crowd at 42, which might explain part of the draw to fuel injection; tired of fuel drying up in the bowls or percolating on a hot day and flooding the engine! The driveability is about the same otherwise. Power is up slightly but that's more attributable to going from the stock single to dual intake manifold I think... Ken

DEB4B753-9179-4C19-A7A7-0254C2A6C133 by kenhenry_06268, on Flickr

34197E50-A571-49B3-AAF6-8E28AC49C26C by kenhenry_06268, on Flickr

0A123251-307B-42A6-BCB7-1AFA70AF1D46 by kenhenry_06268, on Flickr
Old 02-14-2021, 04:39 PM   #19
Ken Henry

Here's another shot with the air cleaner on. You can also see the PCV valve (blue) at the front and fuel pressure regulator on the firewall. The doodad marked SiemensVDO is an idle air control valve and works in feedback loop to regulate the idle speed. Next up will be some EAB heads with a tight squish area and eventually a Mercury crank!!

7EEF1CBF-000C-450E-ACE2-6B30A94A98D5 by kenhenry_06268, on Flickr
Old 02-14-2021, 04:46 PM   #20
Ken Henry

One limitation to keep in mind if you go with throttle body injection is that if your manifold is single plane (mine is effectively single plain due to the one barrel adapters to the throttle bodies) each injector will need to squirt 8 times per engine revolution for good fuel distribution. If you have a dual plane manifold and each injector squirts into a different plane like with the original GM TBI, it should work fine with four squirts per engine cycle and will generally easier to set up. 8 squirts is a lot to fit in even when the max RPM is 4000 RPM!