Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-20-2012, 09:35 AM   #1
jack orchard

Default Steering Sector Rebuild F1

I am considering a complete rebuild of the front suspension and steering on my F1. Rebuilt sectors are around $425. If i rebuild it myself, the price of all of the parts can easily exceed $300. Can youse guys that have been down that road before give me an idea of what normally needs to be replaced and what i might expect. The worm gear is about $60. What is the quality of the replacement parts? Any opinions you have are appreciated. Thanks,jack
Old 09-20-2012, 10:13 AM   #2
pineapple

Default Re: Steering Sector Rebuild F1

Jack, I've rebuilt a couple f1 boxes. I feel that, as long as there is still room to adjust the sector shaft before rebuild and that there is no galling on the worm or sector, you should not have to replace those parts.Check the worm shaft bearings for pitting or galling in the races, replace if needed. I replace the sector shaft bushings, the preload gaskets for the worm bearings and the felt bushing on the mast jacket connection.Dennis Carpenter has all the parts, pretty cheap as well.If I need to replace worm or sector, I use old swap meet boxes to find good used parts, but I believe Dennis has these too.More expensive from him.I always do sector shaft bushings, you sometimes cant feel the slop in them on the bench, only after it's back on the truck.
pineapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:16 AM   #3
NealinCA

I second what pineapple said. Use original parts if possible. 37-48 Ford car boxes use the same internals as 48-52 F1, so I look for those to junk out for parts. I have used the replacement worms and sector rollers with no complaints, but prefer original parts when available. I buy all of my parts from Joblot in NY...James always has what I need and knows his stuff.

BTW, I picked up an old Sunnen bushing hone to hone the sector shaft bushings. That has been a real help.

Neal
NealinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:12 PM   #4
Ken Crans

James @Joblot is the guy to see. Ken
Ken Crans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:19 PM   #5
rotorwrench

The most difficult part to replace is the worm since it has to be removed from the steering shaft then the new part pressed on. I believe you can get these shafts on a rebuilt exchange basis for the F1s specifically but am not sure. The gasket kits have all the normal gaskets (shim gaskets) to get it back together. They are really pretty simple in design and aren't too hard to rebuild as long as you have a decent repair manual that covers the Gemmer II boxes with some FoMoCo F1 specifics.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:11 AM   #6
miss victoria

I have 53-56 ford boxes and parts also model A STEERING CONVERSIONS.
miss victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:52 PM   #7
Karl Wolf

I think that I would take the box apart before buying a bunch of parts... That being said- buy two gasket kits... The end clearance is set by the gasket thickness and the last one I did the gasket kit was not enough to do one box.

I found it easy to replace the worm on the steering shaft, I took a piece of 1/4" aluminum plate, on cement floor, lined up the keyway, and drove the shaft down into the worm by hitting the worm on the plate... The soft aluminum saves the worm from damage and offers a firm surface as an anvil... Clear? I hope...
Karl
Karl Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote