Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-01-2017, 05:56 PM   #1
OLD AS I

Default Unable to view some pictures

For sometime now some threads the pictures are blocked, ie "1936 Truck restoration" all the pictures are blocked with this message .... "Please update your account to enable 3rd party hosting for important info, please go to www.photobucket.com/P500" Has anyone else experienced this, what's it all about, it doesn't happen on all threads just some. I Google "3rd party hosting" and got the following info,
https://petapixel.com/2017/07/01/pho...-embedded-web/
haven't gone to the site as notice tells me to as concerned about what can happen.
Have seen threads mentioning a monitor by the name of Ryan or someone, who should I report this to.
If I'm having to pay to be able to view pictures I'd rather be paying the BARN
OLD AS I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 06:35 PM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: Unable to view some pictures

The message is not asking you to pay but rather the person that did the posting. It is a new policy from Photobucket and in my opinion it might bankrupt them. Talk about bad press. They want to charge the person that wants to post from Photobucket $400 a year where it used to be free. Needless to say they probably won't have too many takers. Search for Photobucket in the archives.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 06:45 PM   #3
OLD AS I

Charlie, why is it only on some threads and some pictures, just looked at a thread and first group of pictures were blocked and next ones were view able ?
Ive posted pictures and they are view able and Ive not paid any fees to anyone ?
Old 09-01-2017, 07:08 PM   #4
Bob C

It's only pictures that are on Photo Bucket.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 07:35 PM   #5
OLD AS I

Bob, so these pictures have been stored on Photo Bucket then the picture owner posts on here and now must pay a fee to have them appear ?
If thats the case lets hope they stop using this site
Old 09-01-2017, 07:56 PM   #6
VeryTangled

Hi Everyone, OLD AS I, the issue has happened to me on some of the photos I used years ago.

Here's the short story. PhotoBucket said you could store x number of photos for free, then pay for more storage. So years ago I put a bunch of shots up there without buying their extra storage. There are some differences between linking a photo from that place versus uploading one from my drive. The ones I linked, are now unavailable (some I found even I couldn't see when I went back to that rat-hole). Now the old threads that those photos are posted in are forever messed up! They lied, or changed the rules, same thing! Not something related to FordBarn, your operating system, or browser. It's happening on message boards all over the webs.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?

Last edited by VeryTangled; 09-01-2017 at 09:12 PM.
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:00 PM   #7
redmodelt

This has been going on for a few months. Google "fordbarn.com; photobucket" There have been several stings talking about this on several of the different forums here.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:36 PM   #8
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Just me, but I would never trust a third party like this. They (any of them) can change their rules at anytime and leave you you out in the cold.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 09:07 PM   #9
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Just me, but I would never trust a third party like this. They (any of them) can change their rules at anytime and leave you you out in the cold.
So you don't keep your personal financial information on a cloud? Just kidding... ya no thanks.

1) Most likely this problem is due to your browser. Depending on your operating system and age of computer things will slowly unravel. But a new operating system has bugs... just like new cars, we are the lab rat.

Computers are neat as they evolve they don't back support old hardware, macs have been fairly decent but new/better software doesn't always jive with old hardware. So you can buy a new computer!

2) Photobucket however may also be experiencing other forces, like our browser/company isn't going to allow you. I have issues with the old standard flash pluggin. In my case it's a windows vs mac issue. And who owns what.

Every time I have to software upgrade I know some hardware issue is going to happen.

Long of the short, what type of computer are you running and whats your system software?
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 09:42 PM   #10
drolston

Photobucket if the tip of a Titanic class iceberg.

Good luck to all of you have given your digital lives over to Google and/or Apple. It is just a matter of time until they start holding your stuff for tiny little bits of ransom. Yep, I pay Yahoo $15 per year so I do not have to look at ads with my e-mail.

The good news is that when NOKO hackers figure out how to shut down all of our modern cars, we flathead drivers will still be able to get to the grocery store. I carry a points distributor in the trunk, just in case Pertronix is vulnerable.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 10:24 PM   #11
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by drolston View Post
Photobucket if the tip of a Titanic class iceberg.

Good luck to all of you have given your digital lives over to Google and/or Apple. It is just a matter of time until they start holding your stuff for tiny little bits of ransom. Yep, I pay Yahoo $15 per year so I do not have to look at ads with my e-mail.

The good news is that when NOKO hackers figure out how to shut down all of our modern cars, we flathead drivers will still be able to get to the grocery store. I carry a points distributor in the trunk, just in case Pertronix is vulnerable.
Apple is one of the most secure systems available. More viruses has been written for microsoft then any operating system ever (why software updates are important). Clouding is a whole new animal. But who cares about pictures of your/someones cat or flathead.

There are only 5 scenarios where your modern car or electric ignition would shut off. 1) a nuke or dirty nuke. 2) a sun flare or massive electrical interference. 3) Hackers, probable but fairly unlikely on a mass level, at least till there are autonomous vehicles everywhere. 4) most probable, manufacturing software issues. 5) faulty circuit board, see 4.

New cars will or might come with a tin hat too. But my belief is all cars should be manufactured with a mechanical backup. Hence the new f150s with electronic tailgates and no manual over ride. Or when Toyota had accelerator issues due to electronic accelerators. I'll not mention digital steering set ups. (I drove a grooming cats for ski resorts in the 90s with digital steering, German made and amazing, worked great. But a very specific vehicle developed for one thing. Not a mass produced item.) But I would be apprehensive.

Just upload your photos here and keep a copy for yourself. done deal.

Last edited by Tinker; 09-01-2017 at 11:07 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 11:04 PM   #12
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD AS I View Post
Bob, so these pictures have been stored on Photo Bucket then the picture owner posts on here and now must pay a fee to have them appear ?
If thats the case lets hope they stop using this site
If you store your photos on Photobucket and make a link from Photobucket to fordbarn you have a problem. A lot of people did this since you can have very large files on Photobucket. I believe you can post them on fordbarn from Photobucket directly if that is where they are stored without a link and you shouldn't have a problem (this is an assumption since, fortunately, I have never used Photobucket). I have always posted directly from my computer to fordbarn so my photos will hopefully be available as long as fordbarn is active.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 06:19 AM   #13
OLD AS I

Thanks for all the comments here, got a better understanding now. I sure wont use any of these sites, will be storing my pictures of gig sticks seems the simplest way then put them in a fire proof box, thanks again, ............ cheers
Old 09-02-2017, 07:27 AM   #14
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
If you store your photos on Photobucket and make a link from Photobucket to fordbarn you have a problem. A lot of people did this since you can have very large files on Photobucket. I believe you can post them on fordbarn from Photobucket directly if that is where they are stored without a link and you shouldn't have a problem (this is an assumption since, fortunately, I have never used Photobucket). I have always posted directly from my computer to fordbarn so my photos will hopefully be available as long as fordbarn is active.

Charlie Stephens
Quote:
Thanks for all the comments here, got a better understanding now. I sure wont use any of these sites, will be storing my pictures of gig sticks seems the simplest way then put them in a fire proof box, thanks again, ............ cheers
Photobucket used to provide a free 'third party hosting service' which now will cost annually $399.00 to use.
The only advantge that Photobucket provides as it relates to Fordbarn is that it allowed full size pictures to be posted directly from Photobucket and is not primarily a necessary 'storage space'
The only reason some can still post pic's here from Photobucket is most likely that they paid an annual fee to eliminate advertising. When that term expires, so will their ability to post from Photobucket.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:27 AM   #15
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
I backup all my photos onto a cloud server, BUT it is just a backup. I also have everything backed up on external hard drives and sticks! And, I do not link anything to my cloud files, I use it strictly for storage. I'm a little hipper on all of this because I have thousands of family photos which can not be replaced and took years of travel to obtain. And I also have a lot of car photos and data files!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 08:36 AM   #16
VeryTangled

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
I backup all my photos onto a cloud server... I also have everything backed up on external hard drives and sticks!...
So now we've veered onto backups, but I have to advise that JSeery has it right. Three copies, is the minimum to keep your data secured. Also multiple geographical locations is a good idea.

As goofy as it sounds right now, consider that one day in the future those USB Flash drives and external hard drives will be useless as floppy disks and VHS tapes are today because nobody will have reader hardware.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 01:07 PM   #17
JM 35 Sedan

One thing that really hurts with this Photobucket situation is the loss of pictures on some of the technical files that were posted here on Fordbarn, and on other internet forums. Some of these files are a total waste now without the ability to see those pictures.
I stopped downloading pictures into Photobucket years ago, and just posted thumbnail size pictures directly from my Tablet, smart phone, or PC. Thumbnails can be enlarged for viewing, or opened in a new window, and enlarged even more.
Some of the pictures that have been posted on threads on this forum, from photo hosting websites, were so large they had to be moved around on the screen to see the complete picture. Way too big to view the whole picture at one time on most any screen.

As Bob Dylan said...."the times they are a changin"..... and we need to be ready to change with them

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 02:25 PM   #18
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
As Bob Dylan said...."the times they are a changin"..... and we need to be ready to change with them
And I really did like most of Dylan's stuff, but I've still gotta ask.........What the hell was wrong with Mayberry? DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 02:45 PM   #19
Marvin/TN

Send a message via AIM to Marvin/TN

None of the links work for me anymore even the one you posted.
Marvin/TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 02:51 PM   #20
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
Some of the pictures that have been posted on threads on this forum, from photo hosting websites, were so large they had to be moved around on the screen to see the complete picture. Way too big to view the whole picture at one time on most any screen.

That is not the fault of the hosting sites, it's that the poster does not know how to size the pictures that they upload to the hosting site.