Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-27-2013, 03:39 PM   #1
Art Bjornestad

Default insulated floorboards ?

I am installing dyna max in my "31 s/w and wonder if sheeting the underside of the floorboards with some sort of thin metal would be goo thing to do heat wise? I am installing the plastic firewall and hope all this will help this summer.
Art Bjornestad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:51 PM   #2
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron
Default Re: insulated floorboards ?

if you install on the passenger side it will help to insulate the muffler from the floor
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:52 PM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Bjornestad View Post
I am installing dyna max in my "31 s/w and wonder if sheeting the underside of the floorboards with some sort of thin metal would be goo thing to do heat wise? I am installing the plastic firewall and hope all this will help this summer.

Not sure if you are saying dyna max or DynaMat, but in reality, DynaMat is a better noise dampener than a heat insulator. The wood is already a somewhat decent insulator and it is thick enough that vibrations are not an issue. Consider looking for ways to seal the floorboards to the subrails tightly, and consider using the bubbled foil insulation to lower the amount of heat transfer.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:38 PM   #4
Jordan

I am a little biased, because I insulate EVERYWHERE. When you live somewhere as hot as Texas, your learn what works best and what doesn't. The foil insulation works really well. You can buy a huge role at home depot for $40. Here's how I insulated my floor boards. I used an old piece of house carpet to cover just the floor boards. It's cut nicely and doesn't stick out, but it's thick so it'll help insulate. Then I put two layers of that bubble insulation, both of which go all the way up the firewall past the gas tank. Then the regular model a carpet on top of this. But what really makes the difference is covering up all the little holes. Like, take a piece and poke a hole in it, and slide if over the gas pedal so that it blocks the hot air coming up through the hole in the floor board. Same with the choke hole, speedo hole, foot pedals, etc. This really blocks the heat from coming in. I also insulate in the kick panels, door panels & in the roof.

When you go for a drive with the windows up, you can feel where all your air leaks are.I have weather stripping on all the doors & foam in the dash rail of the front window. My car has no air coming in, and no cold AC air going out
Old 03-27-2013, 09:37 PM   #5
BILL WILLIAMSON

Dog here,
Ponder this: Lots of car heat is from sun shining in & on the windows, so, I figger that if you insulate the whole kaboodle, how's any heat IN the car gonna' get out!! It's like you just "created" some new type of OVEN!! Ole' Bill stunk up the whole house, cookin off old car parts & a cast iron grill in the self cleanin' OVEN!! PEW!! Ol' Bill sez Vermin has "flow -thru ventilation"??? I'll find out soon, "they" say now that it will run SATURDAY, but I've heard that BEFORE!! Buster T.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:08 AM   #6
john in illinois

I have dyna max on floorboards,a firewall insulator-the molded kind with insulation, and a muffler shield. We have driven in some 100 degree days and if you keep moving the heat is not bad, so it seems to help. It did make the car quieter too. I think you will like it . I don't know if metal underneath would help.

John
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:55 AM   #7
Jim Boehmke

on my '31 coupe, I mounted a piece of sheet metal to the floorboard, over the muffler. I designed it so that there is a 1/4" air gap between the sheet metal and the floorboard.
Jim Boehmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:16 AM   #8
Ron Lowe

I think a heat shield over the muffler is really worth the money. Make sure you buy a good quality one as the cheap ones will not last long before breaking from vibration.
Ron Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:31 AM   #9
BobbyG

I screwed some stainless steel sheeting onto the underside of my floorboards - reflects the heat nice and sure does look pretty !

Bob
BobbyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:08 PM   #10
Rock Hornbuckle

Gentlemen ! I spent an entire career as an Energy Engineer. I have dealt with all forms of heat transfer and insulation to slow heat flow. This is how I designed and installed the insulation in my vehicles.

1. Stop radiant energy...this is best accomplished with reflective material, such as shiny foil, polished stainless steel.

2. Stop conductive heat flow....this is done with material that slows down heat flow. This material is rated with "R" values. The material I used was 1/2" thick rubbatex. It has a high "R" value for its' thickness, and also has sound deadening properties.

Conclusion, place the shiny material towards the source of heat (engine, sunlight,.etc), and then place the 1/2" rubbatex over it, for a two layer effect. This two layer effect is what you get with the foil faced bubble material, but the dead air space in the bubbles don't have a much "R" value compaired to the rubbatex.You''ll want to insulate the sheetmetal body panel areas, the floor and the roof. And NO, this will not create an oven in your car. If any of you have the need, I will be happy to engineer your cars' thermal exterior for you, for free.
'14 100th Anniversary Challenger Limited Edition.

Semper Fidelis

Last edited by Rock Hornbuckle; 03-28-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Rock Hornbuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:36 PM   #11
V4F

i use heat wrap . seems to help alot .
Old 03-28-2013, 10:03 PM   #12
Milton

I found some stuff supposedly used in trucks. It is about an eighth inch thick and is a layer of rubber between two layers of aluminum all bonded together. I used that with half inch plywood for my floorboards in the woody. Great for noise attenuation, good for heat.
Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:15 PM   #13
400A-64

I installed 1/8 in thick sheet asbestos on the passernger side with screws and then painted it flat black.... works great!!
Bruce Davis
400A-64 is offline   Reply With Quote