Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-18-2020, 06:08 PM   #1
rbone

Default Master cylinder fill cap

I'm trying to make an adapter for my master cylinder (M1050) so that I can use my pressure brake bleeder on it. I am having a heck of a time finding the thread type on the fill plug. I also see that some of the new master cylinders on the internet have what appears to be a removable plug inside the fill cap. Does anyone know the thread type for the fill plug? The information I had was 1 1/4 MNPT, but that is not correct. It is smaller than that and has much finer threads.

Two questions - 1. what is the correct thread type for the regular fill plug? and 2. does anyone have one with the removable plug in the filler? If so, is it a regular 1/4" NPT pipe fitting?

Here is a link to the cylinder on which you can see the fill plug and cap.
https://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts...CABEgLyZfD_BwE

Thanks,
Ron

Last edited by rbone; 08-18-2020 at 06:13 PM.
rbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 10:48 PM   #2
fordor41

Default Re: Master cylinder fill cap

if it like everything else, the co. can put just about any thread they want. could take the cap to a machine shop and have them check the thread and fab one for you.
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 04:36 AM   #3
Mart

I've pressure bled the ford cylinders by making a flat plate that I clamp over the opening. The plate has an 1/8 npt thread in it and a common barbed fitting in it. I use a piece of inner tube rubber between the plate and the reservoir. I have also used a plate on dual master cylinders with the large opening.

I can warn, though.. "Prepare for spillage".

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 05:05 AM   #4
big job

Marts way is the simple fast way. I remember those sold in auto part stores It had a
chain that went around the cylinder with a rubber gasket.
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 06:37 PM   #5
Don

I took cap from old MC or even new one and drilled a tap for 1/4 pipe,then used a compression fitting to apply air and fluid,,when done ,just removed the comp fitting and put a 1/4 pipe plug in BE SURE TO DRILL A SMALL VENT HOLE IN PIPE PLUG!!
I think I used another gasket on cap and really tightened it so no leaked,, couldn’t get it loose ,that why I left it there and used pipe plug,
Like Mart said be prepared forleakes,,,after you get itplumed up ,just put about 15# air to see if it holds pressure before putting fluid in container,,
I made my own bottle with a gauge and valve and reg,,worked great,best brakes I ever had on 35
Old 08-19-2020, 06:52 PM   #6
russcc

Another off topic option is to vacuum bleed the brakes. You can get the vacuum hand pump on loan form Auto Zone in my area. But you have to buy the reservoir, $10. including shipping from Discount Tool. These are all Mityvac products. As you bleed each wheel you can see the air bubbles in the fluid which ends up in the reservoir which you can then re-use. No mess, spilled fluid, the only out off pocket expense is $10., and then you can use the vac pump for vacuum, fuel, EGR and other system testing.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote