Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-23-2012, 01:52 PM   #1
bogiediver

Thumbs up Head Light Reflectors made from Ford Print

I got an interesting email today from Bratton's...

I had questioned them on the aluminized headlight reflectors they sell - if they were the correct parabolic shape as the originals...

They wrote back:

"Not correct now, but we have approved samples of ones we are having made from Ford print. Due here summer 2012. Check back in about 3 months for the best reflectors."

I found this interesting and thought others might as well.

I have a follow up email in to them about:

1) The finish the new ones will have:
-- aluminized (which, based on their description of the currently available ones, sounds like the Uvira process, or similar)
-or-
-- silver plate
-or-
buyers' choice

2) An estimate of expected price

If I heard back, I'll update the thread.

Sounds interesting...
Old 02-23-2012, 04:11 PM   #2
John Duden

Default Re: Head Light Reflectors made from Ford Print

Sounds like a great deal! I compared the difference from my original ones to the new ones and I could not believe the difference, for the price of the new ones, one could almost get his originals resilvered,
John
John Duden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:18 AM   #3
bogiediver

OK - I admit, I'm very surprised by the lack of response, or even views, to this thread with all the talk of 'if they can make cheap reproduction reflectors to the wrong specs, why can't they make them correctly as Ford designed."

Here is someone saying they're in the process of doing just that and only 1 response and - more surprisingly, only 175 views (as of 2/27).

Brattons has not responded to my follow up as of yet. I will be trying to contact them again...

Very

------------------------------
(edit-)

Called Bratton's - they expect the new reflectors to be available about June 1.

The first set of samples had the socket slot directly in the center of the reflector. They sent it back to get it properly offset by the 1/16" per the prints...

They also indicated the gasket channel will be stamped with "top" so that the single bulb reflectors will be oriented correctly for the offset.

Further - they verified that original and repro socket assemblies worked correctly in the socket slots.

(I think that shows dedication to the spirit of 'making it right')

The reflectors will be offered in 2 versions, each with 2 finish options.
- Versions will be single bulb and dual bulb
- Finishes will be:
---- chrome with a clear coat
---- aluminized with a clear coat (they said it would be the same type of process as Uvira, but not done by Uvira)

They expect pricing on the aluminized version to be not more than their current offering, and possibly a little less. (I didn't ask, but I expect the chrome will be the same situation).

I have no association with Brattons - I just think they are doing a good thing here.

FWIW

Last edited by bogiediver; 02-27-2012 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Bratton's Response
bogiediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:21 AM   #4
real550A

Just waiting for news!
Old 02-27-2012, 12:05 PM   #5
BRENT in 10-uh-C

In a conversation with Walt Bratton the other day, he discussed these with me. The details are that this one is being manufactured exactly to the print including the offset hole for the bulb, and stamped with 'TOP' for correct orientation. They will be offered in chrome and with the Uvira film for reflection. Expect to see them on the shelves in 3-4 months.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:15 PM   #6
700rpm

It seems I have read that chrome does not reflect light in the same way that silver does, that it spreads it at different angles and therefore reduces the degree of light coming out. I can't remember where I read that. But I'm surprised that Bratton's is going to all the trouble of engineering these correctly but not offering a silver option, or at least an unplated version so a guy could silver them on his own.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:22 PM   #7
bogiediver

They are offering the chrome version as a less expensive alternative (I'm guessing for those who don't drive at night and only need the correct look behind the lens) to the aluminized version. In their catalog (for the current choices) they do indicate that chrome is only about 70% reflective...

You may want to contact them to suggest offering them as 'raw' so folks can do what's necessary to silver plate them. Or maybe they contract with a plater to silver them when ordered...

Just a couple of random thoughts...
Old 02-27-2012, 12:40 PM   #8
darrylkmc

I am wondering if these are going to be manufactured in the USA

Darryl in Fairbanks
darrylkmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:46 PM   #9
Steve Wastler

Silver oxidizes rather quickly, prompting one to polish, in turn scratching and wearing off of the silver. Cleared would last longer, but would still oxidize and wouldn't be able to polish out. I think the aluminized would be pretty good....
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:27 PM   #10
BRENT in 10-uh-C

An additional thought or two is there are still quite a few good original reflector that can silver plated to fill that need. For all others, the two types of reflectors Walt will be offering should meet the needs of 90%-95% of everyone else.

While we can all hope these reflectors are made in the US, ...I would pose the question of would we rather have reflectors made according to the original print that are manufactured off-shore, --or not have any because there wasn't any U.S. manufacturer willing to manufacture them at a cost that we as consumers could/would pay. Not sure what the correct answer should be here but when you look at the infrastructure of having something like this made, it is a real eye-opener!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:49 PM   #11
bogiediver

FWIW...

Another quick call and they (not Walt personally this time) said they are hoping to have them US made - "always our first choice"...

Suggested they may want to consider offering a silvered version by special order too - they took it under advisement

But, I agree with Brent - the two types they are planning will satisfy most needs...
Old 02-27-2012, 02:53 PM   #12
Greg Jones

I certainly agree with the sentiment that we should take note of a supplier trying to do the right thing. I have put my money where my mouth is and paid big bucks for some high quality reproduction items. Dont regret it either.
Greg Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:58 PM   #13
Dave in Boise

Just waiting to hear that they are available so I can order a set. I have the halogen aftermarket kit with reflectors and they are no where as good as my other car with original reflectors and high cp bulbs.. The new reflectors focus so poorly, I might as well have installed jelly jar porch lights on my headlight bar.. They put out a ton of light, but in every direction but the needed one

- Dave
Dave in Boise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:05 PM   #14
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by real550A View Post
Just waiting for news!
Me too!!
Old 02-27-2012, 05:27 PM   #15
just plain bill

Well, I guess I'll wait a bit then. I spoke to the gentleman that does the aluminum plating and he quoted me $75 pr. but they had to be polished and flash nickel plated first. As to resilver, One place quoted $150 per reflector another $130 each then a shop in Upland quoted $150 minimum. All of this running around at $4.30 a gal gas as of yesterday, I believe I'll wait for Brattons!
just plain bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:53 PM   #16
bogiediver

Yeah - the Uvira folks require your reflectors, nickle plated & polished - then $75 (per pair) to do their process.

Brattons is talking like it'll be about $125 for new reflectors with the Uvira-like process already done.

Hopefully they'll be able to hold the line on price as they are thinking now...
Old 02-28-2012, 05:04 PM   #17
jak

Let me make some clarification on all of this. Walt and I have been working on this project for almost 2 years. When we began with this project we set out to try to make this as close to original as we could. I have noticed lots of questions about finish and country of origin. To get this made we did end up going to an overseas company. The company that we found is ISO 9000 company that is currently stamping reflectors for Honda, and other car companies. We also looked at having the reflectors silver-plated. The problem we had with this is we had to buy such a large quantity that the silver would have tarnished way before we sold the entire run. The advantages of these new reflectors are they will be the correct depth, and the headlight socket will be off center so they will focus like the original Ford reflectors. We also had the word top stamped into the outer edge. I hope this has helped to clear up some of the questions that have been lingering.
jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:30 PM   #18
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wastler View Post
Silver oxidizes rather quickly, prompting one to polish, in turn scratching and wearing off of the silver. Cleared would last longer, but would still oxidize and wouldn't be able to polish out. I think the aluminized would be pretty good....
Silver does fine as long as the reflectors are handled properly (no finger prints/skin oils) and the cork seal is properly installed. Mine still show no signs of tarnishing and were silvered 16 years ago. I must say our summers aren't very humid, the garage probably never gets below 45-50 degrees in the winter, and the car has only been parked outside overnight a couple times. More adverse conditions may indeed make a difference but I can't imagine it would be that much if everything is right.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:59 PM   #19
Bill Goddard

On an earlier post I made the point that Bratton's will ask a vendor to make parts to the ford print or they'll find someone who will. This proves my point. Bill G
Bill Goddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:12 PM   #20
30Tudor

Just got my original reflectors back from Brinkman's in St. Paul MN. They did a fantastic job with the re-Silvering and removing a couple of scratches and minor dents. Best price I was able to find. I am really pleased. Contact is Vern at 1-877-798-8577

Thanks Tom W for referring them to me!
30Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote