Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-03-2016, 06:49 PM   #21
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Default Re: Fabled mystery oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
This is all I get with that link:

Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

Seems MMO doesn't want to come out into the open!
Dang
https://fordbarn.com/forum/search.php?searchid=6540765
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:52 PM   #22
jm29henry

I have great success with MMO,at work we purchased a 1963 ford econoline van it was sitting in a barn since the early 80'S it was locked up we took the plug out and poured a couple of ounces of MMO down the cylinders and she turning over perfectly !!
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 11:31 PM   #23
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
Still no scientific test evidence that MMO has any value for internal combustion engines.
For many, lack of scientific test evidence may be a reason not to use it, for remainder of us we continue to use it because we see significant benefits to using it in our A's. Any product that has been on the market over 80 years can't be all bad ! To differ is not tp be wrong. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:47 AM   #24
Royce P

And there never will be. It is something sold to the uninformed by the unscrupulous. For centuries humans have fallen for scams perpetrated by scam artists. Even though it is an easily spotted scam, it is one that is passed down through generations.

At this point, for some of these guys to quit using it would amount to an admission that their ancestors were foolish too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
Still no scientific test evidence that MMO has any value for internal combustion engines.
1917 Torpedo Runabout
Royce P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:11 AM   #25
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce P View Post
And there never will be. It is something sold to the uninformed by the unscrupulous. For centuries humans have fallen for scams perpetrated by scam artists. Even though it is an easily spotted scam, it is one that is passed down through generations.

At this point, for some of these guys to quit using it would amount to an admission that their ancestors were foolish too.
What would constitute scientific proof for you? There are some that will never believe, and there are others that have used it and find it works. I've only been using it for just under two years, and it works for me.

Have you ever used the crap gas and had a valve stick? If so, what did you use to free it?

I've mentioned this before, but I'll repeat for those non believers of Sea Foam. I bought a very clean one owner loaded Olds Cutlass real cheap because it sounded like it had a rod bearing out. I checked all the rod bearings, and they were good, but I installed new ones as long as they were out. I then removed the valve covers and checked all the rockers. I replaced 5 broken plastic buttons for the arms, but that also didn't stop the noise. I drove 5 miles to buy a can of Sea Foam, installed it at the auto store, and before I got home the engine was quiet as could be. That bad noise was a stuck hydraulic lifter, and Sea Foam freed it up.

I'll agree there are many canned goodies that are a waste of money, but there are some thing that actually do work. BTW, I added it to the oil, but it can also be added to the gas for fuel related problems.

Last edited by Tom Wesenberg; 03-04-2016 at 10:16 AM.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:00 AM   #26
QGolden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I went to Fleet Farm and Aldi the other day. When I left Aldi the throttle stuck wide open on my 1999 Olds 88, ...... The next morning I removed the spring, and now the throttle works perfectly again. Time will tell if MMO helped, but I sure hope it fixed the sticking throttle.s.
Tom
I have owned a couple of big old Olds and Impallas, Throttle sticking under hard acceleration is a phenomenon I am well familiar with. In every case I have found it to be caused by weak motor mounts (presuming it is a V8). the throttle linkage binds when the motor mounts allow the motor to twist from the torque and the throttle rod binds until the torque is released, problem is that the torque releases about 70!

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:06 PM   #27
Tom Wesenberg

I've repaired lots of bad motor mounts on older GM cars, and also had to install the cables on many GM cars under the recall program for engines lifting under acceleration. My Olds is much newer and has cable throttle on a 3.8, so that eliminates any linkage problem.

I've seen cars with worn throttle cables bind though, and also cars with a missing ground strap to the engine. Then the engine found ground through the throttle cable, and it got so hot it melted the plastic covering.

I've seen frost on the carb throttle area on my Allis Chalmers WD, but the 3.8 has the throttle body right over the exhaust pipe, so all the heat goes straight up to it when parked. It's still a mystery how the binding came on so quickly, then went completely away overnight. Time to stop driving modern cars and stick with the reliable Model A.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 04:00 PM   #28
marc hildebrant

Quote:

In the same way, there will always be a group of "experts" that pontificate from the chairs about subjects they have no real knowledge of.

I have used Marvel Mystery Oil and it does help to keep the varnish down with today's gas and it does help to keep the valves "happy".

Do you have any direct experience with MMO that prove your claims ?

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 04:36 PM   #29
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

[QUOTE=marc hildebrant;1252879]In the same way, there will always be a group of "experts" that pontificate from the chairs about subjects they have no real knowledge of.

I have used Marvel Mystery Oil and it does help to keep the varnish down with today's gas and it does help to keep the valves "happy".

Do you have any direct experience with MMO that prove your claims ?

Marc

I totally agree with you. We should be leery of self professed experts. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:24 AM   #30
Terry, NJ

Royce, If that were true, the company would have never lasted since 1923! Many, Many companies have started sold junk for a few years and then withered away to memoryville. MMO just hangs in there, It must be the combination of simple components. Before I got into Mod A s, I restored a 1952 8N and got into "Yesterday's Tractors" online. There was one older man who had been an engineer for Boeing, who had seen it all. The only additives he would use were MMO and STP. (The STP because it can't be removed with solvents) It was after reading his positions on it that I began using it and found it to be worthwhile. It shouldn't be used in place of proper maintenance,("Technician in a can") but if a previous owner has neglected your machine MMO will help you to restore it. As Tow W points out with his Oldsmobile. At times it is "Miracle juice".
Terry

Quote:

Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 12:23 PM   #31
H. L. Chauvin

FWIW:

The MMO Company's success is comparable to the Bayer Aspirin Company's success .................. in that those few who know what it is for ............... and ............... those who how and when to use it .............. continue to buy it in quantity for the purpose for which it was intended.

The Bayer Aspirin Company's success is also comparable to MMO Company's success ................ in that those who do not know what it is for ............... and those who do not know how and when to use it ........... they buy it, but only once ......... solely for shrinking their hemorrhoids, and/or reducing there bad gas smell after eating too many beans, and/or curing their enlarged prostate gland ........... then when it fails to perform ......... they just quit buying it and start bitching.

Just one (1) humble opinion about typical customers spending money in Wal-Mart.

What's in your medicine cabinet?
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:11 AM   #32
Pete / MA

In my case using MMO is one of those unquestioned nuggets of advise passed on from father to son.
Like "never whistle on a boat or you might 'whistle up a wind'"......... Pete

The fact is, MMO works and I've passed that on to my son.

Last edited by Pete / MA; 03-10-2016 at 09:21 AM.
Pete / MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 02:09 PM   #33
ursus

Might be a West Coast thing, but it is bad luck to have even one banana on a boat. I do not permit bananas on board my Model A. No need to temp fate running a 90 year old rig on the highway.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 01:37 AM   #34
Capt Quahog

Location: Barren windswept mountain somewhere in bleak Northeastern Pennsylvania

With this warm weather, I finally got around to working on the 31' Tudor acquired late last fall. The car's previous owner passed away about six years ago and hadn't used the car for sometime before then. Managed to swap out the troublesome Zenith One for a slick rebuilt Marvel Schebler carburetor. Pulled out the spark plugs to find those fouled with black soot and still stinking wet with gasoline. After cleaning the plugs, I remembered something showed to me by old time Model A Ford guys long ago. Before re-installing the spark plugs, I poured a splash of Marvel Mystery oil down each hole into the cylinders. Also added in some MM oil to fresh fuel in the tank and some more down the tube into the oil. With the better carburetor, that car idled really smooth and slow. The Marvel Mystery oil seems to have much reduced engine clatter too.
Capt Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 02:41 PM   #35
BILL WILLIAMSON

I "think" MMO's success is due to its' TRICKY NAME! Everyone LOVES a MYSTERY---LOL---- It's all geared for that everlovin' BUCK!
Bill Poor
Old 03-11-2016, 03:29 PM   #36
HoarseWhisperer

I'm reluctant to upset the delicate balance of my lubrication and it's ingredients are no mystery.

HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 04:11 PM   #37
J Franklin

Sometimes it is all in the labeling but I find MMO works in all my cars.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00638.jpg (109.5 KB, 23 views)
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 05:08 PM   #38
FrankWest

I love it. Something about it seems right! It seems logical that an oil like this with a very low viscosity would seep into every crevice and bearing, making surfaces slick. I also like the idea of Naphtha based ingredients would clean surfaces too, as naphtha has done for watches and clocks for the past 120 years.
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote