Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-07-2018, 05:43 PM   #1
Graeme / New Zealand

Default mounting back up light 42 - 48

I brought 1 CM Hall (Hallamp)back up light (off e-pay) for my 48. I know this brand was the official Ford accessory for these type of light although this one does not have "Ford" on the rim. I still need to find one more as I have a plan to turn them into turn signals. I already have have some amber 6v bulbs to go in them. The question: Can any owners who have one of these installed please tell the exact position these things should be mounted on the splash pan and should they be in line with the tail lights?

thanks
GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:32 PM   #2
Drbrown

Default Re: mounting back up light 42 - 48

The photo here is of the back side of my '47 coupe taken before I mounted one vintage backup light .... thanks go to Old Henry who found it on eBay for me along with an OE wiring kit, proper switch and switch bracket for mounting on the shift linkage. Due to its age/make/design I could not match the one light I had with another unit. Regardless, with a 12 volt standard light bulb the one light adequate.

I first tested for the best location, for functionality and appearance. Because of the vertical chrome bumper-etts, I installed it just outside the driver's side bumper-ette but not directly under the tail light. It has an adjustable base installed thru the bumper pan and wiring is into and thru the trunk. The switch on the shift linkage works fine and I wired it into the parking light circuit.

For turn signaling, two-pole light sockets were installed inside the stock tail lights.

Before you decide on turn signalling, check this product out on the internet .... "Brakelighter" by J & L Enterprises, Ellington CT 06029 (860) 916-3582 It functions as both a directional and brake light unit. Inexpensive, very inconspicuous (can't see it from outside the car), easy to install and wire, and can be removed any time .... and gets your intentions regard turning and braking right up where drivers behind you can quickly see them. Its a good solution to (1) minimize intrusion upon the visual appearance of our cars and more importantly (2) to provide added safety for both driver's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rear (2).jpg (78.4 KB, 70 views)

Last edited by Drbrown; 01-07-2018 at 11:11 PM.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 12:24 AM   #3
Graeme / New Zealand

Hi Dr I have seen the Brakelighter solution you mention. I 've gone for the converted backup lights as something of a novel solution. I thought of using the tail lights but have decided against it because the norm here in NZ as in the UK and Europe is amber turn signals. Probably if I went for tailights people will not take much notice of the small red units ( like hand signals these days...most people just don't know what they are.)

I have aready converted the front by buying a twin filament socket and wire kit from G&G that just plugs into the park lights. I appreciate your reply as to where to position the back up light.

GB

Old 01-08-2018, 04:41 AM   #4
47Merc

Hi GB

This is where the back up lights were on my Mercury when I bought it. I'm not sure if they are original or not but it had the original switch on the shift lever.

They are not on it any more as I left them off in the rebuild but it seems they were positioned just outside the line of where the boot lid swings up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3977.jpg (73.2 KB, 68 views)
47Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:45 AM   #5
Graeme / New Zealand

Thanks for that 47. Very nice Merc you have there. Good point on the swing of the boot lid, the other thing I need to bear in mind is where the bumper irons are underneath.

GB