Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-22-2018, 11:02 PM   #1
Graeme / New Zealand

Default turn signals

I've just fitted turn signals to my car. The days have gone where people understand what hand signals are so I have relented and fitted them in the interest of safety. I've used a dual filament in the front park lights and wanted to use orange signals at the rear because that's what we use down here in NZ. I could have used the tails lights but I'm afraid the small red lights flashing will not be noticed by some. I wanted to avoid ugly motorcycle type units.

Here's my solution. I've adapted 2 back up lights by using orange 6v VW Beetle bulbs in them. To give the orange light a good glow I cut up a clear orange "spray and wipe" kitchen cleaner bottle and put that behind the bulb. It flashes a treat, nice and bright. I've used a VSM 900 (same as Signal Stat 900) switch.

I've had a problem with the light for the switch staying on in the hazard flasher even when the switch is in the neutral position. I know everything is wired correctly. I have ascertained through the net that this is a problem if the cheap Asian 535 6v flasher unit is used and thats what came with mine......Well the flasher can has already crapped out and I have 2 US made Tridon LL535 ones on the way from the States ( got one for a spare as they are nigh on impossible to get 6 v ones here with a + earth).

Here are some photos. The unit on the left is a UK "Desmo" brand that I had lying around, commonly used on UK minis, TRs' etc. The one on the right is proper CM Hall unit as was the Official Ford accessory for my car. When I find a matching CM Hall unit I will replace the Desmo unit. I've put an add in the swaps.

GB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P2060332.jpg (46.0 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg P2060331.jpg (45.1 KB, 95 views)

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 07:17 AM   #2
corvette8n

Default Re: turn signals

Nice, looks like that will do the job.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:11 AM   #3
Pat/Ohio

In the interest of safety...very tastefully done!
Pat/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 10:58 AM   #4
RKS.PA

Graeme, I just did exactly the same thing on my '47. The wiring into the tail lights never worked right....done before I got the car....so I replaced the wiring harness from the front to back, including the new brake light terminals. Not sure if what I used are the "motor cycle types" but they are the Universal amber lens lights from Speedway Motors (Part # 316-0176) and added double filament 6 volt bulbs for brightness.

I've always felt separate wiring to individual directional lights is easier to wire and trouble shoot if you don't mind the extra lights on the rear.....and I agree, these lights can't be too bright for safety!!! (Actually, I was afraid to drive the car until I finished this project!!)

Love your car!!!.........Dick.
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:14 AM   #5
Graeme / New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKS.PA View Post
Graeme, I just did exactly the same thing on my '47. The wiring into the tail lights never worked right....done before I got the car....so I replaced the wiring harness from the front to back, including the new brake light terminals. Not sure if what I used are the "motor cycle types" but they are the Universal amber lens lights from Speedway Motors (Part # 316-0176) and added double filament 6 volt bulbs for brightness.

I've always felt separate wiring to individual directional lights is easier to wire and trouble shoot if you don't mind the extra lights on the rear.....and I agree, these lights can't be too bright for safety!!! (Actually, I was afraid to drive the car until I finished this project!!)

Love your car!!!.........Dick.
Thanks Dick. I love your ragtop. Being a fan of 46 to 48 "fatties" converts are a rare sight here in NZ. I made my own seperate wire loom up out of colour coded wires wrapping them in black tape. Being Right hand drive I ran them from under the dash, down behind the right kick panel, out through the speedo/ handbrake cable grommet( hidden by the carpet), through the chassis rail to the front and back and across the left side front and rear. I tied the loom to the existing wiring with small cable ties.

GB

Old 03-23-2018, 11:50 AM   #6
TJ

In some states turn signals are mandatory. Hand signals are rarely recognized by the vast majority of the driving public. They're too busy on their phones!
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 04:12 PM   #7
Anteek29

Most drivers think you are giving them the finger if you do a hand signal.
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:19 PM   #8
fortyonerag

I just fitted turn signals to the 41 as hand signals after dark are another matter entirely!

I went with flashing brake lights and so far no problems, but I do note they are a bit hard to see at night if the car behind is close and has really bright headlights. My 6V bulbs do seem a lot dimmer than modern cars with their arrays of 12V LED taillights.

I too had trouble with a cheapo flasher can and opted for the tridon unit. Works a treat and like you, I bought a spare. Living down under and paying $10 shipping for a $5 item kinda colours your thinking after a while...

Last edited by fortyonerag; 03-23-2018 at 08:24 PM.
fortyonerag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 02:31 PM   #9
Graeme / New Zealand

I paid $14 bucks or so each with $6 shipping (US dollars). from Rockauto they are on their way now. Looked at some on Epay at about $20 each but shipping was calculated at $30!

GB

Old 03-25-2018, 08:03 AM   #10
DD931

I have always hated the addition of extra external lights for turn signals. On my '48 F-1 I have integrated the turn signals with the regular lights. I wired the regular brake lights for turn signals just the way the flasher diagram suggests. For the front lights I replaced the parking light sockets with dual contacts to use dual filament bulbs. These are available from the usual suspects. I got mine from C&G. Use a regular 7 wire turn signal switch. Run an extra wire for a ground so you don't have to scrape the paint off the steering column.
DD931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 11:01 PM   #11
Graeme / New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD931 View Post
I have always hated the addition of extra external lights for turn signals. On my '48 F-1 I have integrated the turn signals with the regular lights. I wired the regular brake lights for turn signals just the way the flasher diagram suggests. For the front lights I replaced the parking light sockets with dual contacts to use dual filament bulbs. These are available from the usual suspects. I got mine from C&G. Use a regular 7 wire turn signal switch. Run an extra wire for a ground so you don't have to scrape the paint off the steering column.
I don't particularly like added ones either but here in NZ the rear ones have been orange since "Adam was a cowboy". No one would take much notice of red flashers in those tiny tail lights. The way I chose to it was a "compromise" at least back up lights were an accessory and when flashing they stick out like "dogs bollocks". I did the same as you for the front though. Kyle at C&G is a great guy to deal with.

GB

Old 03-28-2018, 07:49 AM   #12
DD931

Ahhh!! Didn't know about the orange thing. I assumed - and we all know what the outcome there is!! And, yes, Kyle and C&G are great.
DD931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:29 AM   #13
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme / New Zealand View Post
I paid $14 bucks or so each with $6 shipping (US dollars). from Rockauto they are on their way now. Looked at some on Epay at about $20 each but shipping was calculated at $30!

GB
The ones I searched out were close to the $50 mark by the time shipping was included. I have not committed to anything yet, still window shopping. But I'd really like to have signals on the 52 Merc. My drivers window won't open so hand signals are difficult if not impossible. My 53 parts car has the factory signal light controls but I doubt I can disassemble and switch it to the 52 without breaking something.
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 11:48 AM   #14
TomT/Williamsburg

Nicely done!
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:19 AM   #15
Graeme / New Zealand

The problem re the switch lights remaining on all the time is now solved. I received 2 USA made 6v LL535 Novita ( new name for Tridon)flasher cans in the mail today. Got a spare one as they can't be got here in 6v positive. Popped one in and everything works as it should. The flasher "tick" is stronger than the cheapo Asian job I replaced.
For anyone outside USA looking for one of these I'd highly recommend "Rockauto.com". The service was fast the units were only $14.54 each which is very competative with same product elsewhere on line. Best of all shipping was only$6.99 which is very low for overseas. I could have fitted 48 of these units in the packaging box it came in ( most of it was full of "airbags" to protect the purchase).

GB