Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-12-2012, 06:33 PM   #1
40fordpu

Default wire loom

Have seen the wire looms for the 59a (1946-48)... Does anyone know if they are interchangeable for the 8ba? Are there an 8ba set? Thanks
40fordpu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
Walt Dupont--Me.

Default Re: wire loom

The 8BA 49-53 didn't have wire looms. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:22 PM   #3
Vic Piano

The 8BA, 8RT, 8CM, etc. all used two brackets that mounted to both sides of the intake manifold just behind the generator. The plug wires and temperature sending unit wire were run through the two brackets (individual holes in a circle) to keep the wires up off of the heads and intake. Sorry, I don't have a photo available. There are also a ton of after market wire looms available for the 8BA, etc
Old 06-12-2012, 07:55 PM   #4
19Fordy

No, they are not interchangeable to the 8BA.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:25 PM   #5
Andy

I wonder if early 21 stud looms would fit?
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:48 AM   #6
19Fordy

There are some sparkplug wire looms that will fit shown on this site.
http://www.cgfordparts.com/wwwsectionfiles/cg_cat1_ignition.html
Scroll down until you see them. The stock early wire looms (shown below) won't fit due to their shape. However, I suppose you could make them fit if you do some cutting and welding. Here is some info. that may help in that you could use it to make some "trial models" out of flexible conduit.
Flathead Spark Plug Wire Conduits
Black pair are for 1942-48
Primer pair are for 1937-42
Each loom has 3 outlets for spark plug wires. Photos attached. I think the black pair are for 42-48 Ford and Primer pair are for 37-41 Ford. Read below and decide.
Measurements for the BLACK pair DRIVERS side loom are:21 1/4 + or minus inches long when measuring end to end following the curve. The center to center distance between the hold down bolt holes is 9 1/8. The distance from the straight end to the center of the first spark plug wire opening is 2 3/4. The distance from the straight end to the center of the next spark plug wire hole is 7 7/8 in. And the distance from the straight end to center of the last spark plug wire hole is 12". Measurements for the BLACK pair PASS side loom are:21 1/4 +/- inches long when measured end to end following the curve. Center to center distance between hold down bolt holes is 9 1/8. Distance from straight end to center of first spark plug wire hole is 2 1/16. Distance from straight end to center of next spark plug wire hole is 7 1/4. Distance from straight end to center of 3rd spark plug wire hole is 11 1/4 in. Pencils show exit holes for spark plug wires.
The measurements of the PRIMER loom for DRIVER side are:18 1/2 in +/- long when measured end to end along the curve. Distance from straight end to center of first spark plug wire hole is 3 5/16 in. Distance from straight end to next spark plug wire exit hole is 8". Distance from straight end to center of 3rd spark plug wire exit hole is 12 ". Measurements on the PASS side PRIMER loom are: 18 1/2 +/- end to end when measured along the curve. Distance from straight end to center of first spark plug wire exit hole is 3 3/4. Distance from straight end to center of next spark plug wire hole is 8 3/8. Distance from straight end to center of 3rd spark plug wire exit hole is 12 7/16 in.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00586 (Small).JPG (45.3 KB, 33 views)
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote