Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-09-2016, 09:32 AM   #1
miller91

Default Have Fallen in Love...With My ' 51 3-spd. O/D

Been driving the car for a year, and now really have the hang of using my '51's Borg Warner O/D transmission...what a pleasure to drive with. It's my first, and I can't imagine a better setup for the Custom sedan. Any comments or advice on how to keep this gem in top shape? Changing gear lube? Maintenance on seals, shifting mechanism, relay, solenoids, etc.

Does anyone love theirs as much as I do?
miller91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:49 AM   #2
tubman

Default Re: Have Fallen in Love...With My ' 51 3-spd. O/D

I have the engine out of my '51 right now, and will be installing my modified '51 Merc in a week or two . The car came with no overdrive, but I have a complete O/D setup I have been considering putting in (that is if I can find the lockout cable in my pile of parts). Reading your post has convinced me this is really something I want to do, even if it takes another week or two. I had a '51 with OD when I was in high school in the fifties, and this helped me remember how much I liked it. I'm going to leave the 3.55 rear in it to start, but might start looking for a 4.11. The only maintenance tip I can offer is that I think the lubricant chamber in the OD is separate from the transmission and both must be checked. (That and good electrical connections.)

Thanks for the "prod".
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:01 AM   #3
miller91

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I have the engine out of my '51 right now, and will be installing my modified '51 Merc in a week or two . The car came with no overdrive, but I have a complete O/D setup I have been considering putting in (that is if I can find the lockout cable in my pile of parts). Reading your post has convinced me this is really something I want to do, even if it takes another week or two. I had a '51 with OD when I was in high school in the fifties, and this helped me remember how much I liked it. I'm going to leave the 3.55 rear in it to start, but might start looking for a 4.11. The only maintenance tip I can offer is that I think the lubricant chamber in the OD is separate from the transmission and both must be checked. (That and good electrical connections.)

Thanks for the "prod".
For real, the damn thing makes me smile while driving. Perfect! I don't know what my final drive is, but this excellent article I just found lists ratios and O/D effect.:
http://www.fordification.com/tech/overdrive.htm
Old 06-09-2016, 10:01 AM   #4
rotorwrench

The major drawback for the B&W ODs is the electrical system and where it is all placed. If you avoid running in the rain and keep your car garaged, the system will be as reliable as any. If you don't have that luxury, you will need to inspect the system on at least a yearly schedule or more depending on area conditions. Corrosion is the enemy for these systems.

As far as lubrication, I generally recommend at least a GL-4 rated product like Sta-Lube. The old GL-3 rating that was originally used is near impossible to source since it was replaced by the GL-4 years ago. The sprag clutch in the back of the OD unit and the phosphor bronze bushings in the gear case can't take any high EP additives like the more common GL-5 products have. Mild EP was the original call out and GL-4 is closest to that.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:07 AM   #5
miller91

The official handbook...
http://www.studebakerclubs.com/North.../Overdrive.pdf
Old 06-09-2016, 10:17 AM   #6
Chris

I am getting ready to install a factory OD out of a 54 Ford into my 53 Ford. I am pretty excited, will make that car a highway machine!
Old 06-09-2016, 10:29 AM   #7
wga

Installed one in the '49 wagon. No issues. Great highway driving. Good time to have your drive shaft checked for balance.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:57 AM   #8
rotorwrench

Always remember to either manually lock out the transmission or shift the unit into reverse any time you park on a hill. I learned from my brother's mistake on that one. Our old 51 Merc rolled down a hill into the rear end of a brand new 63 Mercury and totaled the 63 out. It only bent the accessory front cross bar and the grill in a few spots on our old Merc.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:13 AM   #9
jack orchard

Had shoebox car. I added an overdrive transmission. Hooked solenoid directly to a toggle switch. Worked great. That gave me OD in all 3 forward gears.,...jack
Old 06-09-2016, 08:42 PM   #10
tubman

When I was at my shop today, I went through my overdrive stuff. I have a couple of complete transmissions (with solenoids, governors, etc.). I also have a new reproduction wiring harness, a working relay, 2 kickdown switches and I DID FIND my lock out cable. I have a couple of questions : first, can someone take some pictures of where the relay mounts on the firewall and how the lockout cable mounts to the bottom of the dash? I thought that there would be some obvious mounting holes on the firewall, but I can't find them. I also seem to remember that the lockout cable mounts on a bracket under the dash (much like the hood release cable), but if it does, I don't have that bracket. Second, the interior wire on my lockout cable is broken. I would imagine this cable is probably the toughest part to find, so I would like to repair mine. I found some .080 stainless steel spring wire on eBay for a reasonable price. Does anybody know how they anchored the wire to the pull handle? It looks like it's just crimped in for about 4 inches; anybody got some specifics?
Old 06-09-2016, 08:52 PM   #11
miller91

here is some stuff pdf is the O/D manual
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flathead_Electrical_wiring1949-51overdrive.jpg (102.8 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Flathead_TransODcontrols_1949to52merc.jpg (46.8 KB, 25 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Overdrive.pdf (3.68 MB, 9 views)
Old 06-09-2016, 08:58 PM   #12
40cpe

The relay mounts on the firewall directly behind the oil filter. If you look on Ebay at cars with overdrive you will usually see the relay in the engine pictures and the OD handle in the interior pictures. There is a bracket that the lockout cable handle mounts in

EDIT: see pics in this auction
http://www.ebay.com/itm/262472580944...84.m1438.l2649

Last edited by 40cpe; 06-09-2016 at 09:06 PM.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:32 PM   #13
JT FORD

There should be two dimples on the firewall where the relay mounts, drill the holes out. The kick down switch should also be marked for location.
JT FORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:37 PM   #14
JT FORD

Don't be too quick to change the rear end to 4:10. I have a '50 with 3:77 that I added the OD and I like it better than the '49 with the 4:10.
JT FORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:07 PM   #15
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT FORD View Post
Don't be too quick to change the rear end to 4:10. I have a '50 with 3:77 that I added the OD and I like it better than the '49 with the 4:10.
I don't think I will have to. The car performed adequately with the old engine. I think with a Merc engine and few extra goodies I am adding (heads, carbs, and upgraded ignition), it should pull the 3.55's just fine.
Old 06-10-2016, 12:06 AM   #16
Drbrown

Love my '47 with BW 10R OD. Its mounted independent of the tranny, in front of the banjo, almost mid-way in the torque-tube, thus eliminated the standard torque tube bearing there.

Like you say .... a pleasure to drive. The OD makes a big difference on the highway re reduced engine noise and available torque. No step-down switch; just a toggle switch under dash. No leaks; no electrical or any other problems to-date.

Per BW rebuilder Llyod Young in Ohio, I use Sta-Lube GL-4 140w gear oil in the OD (and banjo).

Good to hear from another happy driver.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 07:49 AM   #17
miller91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbrown View Post
Love my '47 with BW 10R OD. Its mounted independent of the tranny, in front of the banjo, almost mid-way in the torque-tube, thus eliminated the standard torque tube bearing there.

Like you say .... a pleasure to drive. The OD makes a big difference on the highway re reduced engine noise and available torque. No step-down switch; just a toggle switch under dash. No leaks; no electrical or any other problems to-date.

Per BW rebuilder Llyod Young in Ohio, I use Sta-Lube GL-4 140w gear oil in the OD (and banjo).

Good to hear from another happy driver.
That is a GREAT idea installing in a torque tube application. In fact, you could use the R10 or HD R11 as a remote unit in many non-O/D applications...hmmm, my gears are turning. Sorry, I made the worst joke ever. Would love to know more about how you accomplished this.
Old 06-10-2016, 08:26 AM   #18
Planojc

I recommend using a alternator with the BW overdrive. Your sol will never fail with the alternator. Mine is still 6V and kicks in every time.
Planojc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:39 AM   #19
Ol' Ron

The original OD's are very weak units and don't like allot of power, so treat them gentle. The later ford 55 and later cars and PU's used the T-85 trans with OD. These were quite rugged. Just a word of caution.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:44 AM   #20
miller91

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
The major drawback for the B&W ODs is the electrical system and where it is all placed. If you avoid running in the rain and keep your car garaged, the system will be as reliable as any. If you don't have that luxury, you will need to inspect the system on at least a yearly schedule or more depending on area conditions. Corrosion is the enemy for these systems.

As far as lubrication, I generally recommend at least a GL-4 rated product like Sta-Lube. The old GL-3 rating that was originally used is near impossible to source since it was replaced by the GL-4 years ago. The sprag clutch in the back of the OD unit and the phosphor bronze bushings in the gear case can't take any high EP additives like the more common GL-5 products have. Mild EP was the original call out and GL-4 is closest to that.
From the Borg Warner O/D regarding lubrication:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mkiuu.jpg (82.2 KB, 28 views)