Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-17-2012, 03:29 PM   #1
Art Bjornestad

Default Differences between 1931 slant window differences between the 160 a,b, and c

What were the differences between the 3 1931 s/w models? I am looking at one that has the flat firewall. Were all the models all steel? Thanks, Art
Art Bjornestad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:17 PM   #2
Kevin in NJ

Default Re: Differences between 1931 slant window differences between the 160 a,b, and c

The slant sedan was a radical change to a much less costly to produce fordor body. Wood bodies took a lot of labor to build. The slant bodies were also built the same so parts are interchangeable for the most part which was not true for the straight window sedans. They were all steel except where wood was needed to nail interior panels and the top. Only the top wood would be considered structural.

The flat firewall is just luck of the draw. Many were made early on, but all needed to be indented to satisfy states requirements that fuel system components be outside the passenger compartment. You have to search for one.

The A was the standard sedan. The B was the town sedan with the deluxe features like cowl lights, rear arm rest and some different interior 'upgrades' from standard. The 160C is a very low production body that differs from the town sedan by not having the third window on the side where the rear seat is. This offered some privacy. It has the same other interior upgrades that the town sedan has.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:47 PM   #3
160B

Default Re: Differences between 1931 slant window differences between the 160 a,b, and c

As far as Murray or Briggs, when Ford built the 31 Slant Window he had Murray and Briggs build the bodies the same so parts were interchangeable. There are some telltale differences such as Briggs used d-nuts on the fire wall and Murray used caged nuts on the firewall. Also the Briggs had a manufactures mark the Briggs “Bug” on the lower front cowl see photo below.

The 160A. The ford Standard town Sedan had scrolled door and window handles, painted molding around the windows and painted front dash; the dome light was centered in the car with a switch on the light and a rubber mat in the driver's compartment.

160B. The ford deluxe town Sedan had a pull rope on the back of the front seat, simple non scrolled door and window handles, wood grained molding (with a scalloped lower frame ) wood grained front dash, the dome light was over the back window and was controlled by a sliding switch on the door post, cowl lights and carpet.

160C. same as 160B but no rear quarter windows, referred to as a blind back.

Slant windows had flat firewalls until the indented firewall started in April 1931.

Briggs "Bug"

Last edited by 160B; 10-17-2012 at 04:54 PM.
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:50 PM   #4
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

I have a load of information if you like i can send it to, I am 160c person and the keeper of the SIG group, what ever you need let me know, there are many differences....
just send me a private message..
mark
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:25 PM   #5
Marco Tahtaras

There is a bit more to the manufacturing part of the story. The Ford bodies (Tudor, Coupes, Etc.) were manufactured in such a way that they could be partially built in sections such as the floor assembly, left side assembly, right side assembly, etc. They could then be shipped to specific branches which had the the specific jigs and tooling to complete the assembly of that body type.

The "new" slant windshield fordor bodies were designed in exactly the same manner. This provided the opportunity for Ford to produce these entirely on their own as well as assemble bodies from parts or sections from any of their suppliers of steel stampings.

I'm confident when Ford was first rolling out the new models (mostly 160-B Town Sedans) they were largely or entirely produced by Murray and Briggs. However I believe that soon changed as all sales slowed.

Looking at unmolested cars and bodies there are some subtle variations in many places that are not yet fully explained due to limited sampling. Rain gutter shape variations is one item that comes to mind. Additionally we've seen a number of these models that NEVER had a body number tag mounted on the firewall as Murray and Briggs both did. Some of these examples had the two holes for such a tag but some do not. In either case I believe those bodies were assembled by Ford.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:36 PM   #6
2manycars

I am always amazed at the tidbits of knowledge that Marco can add to a technical discussion.
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:01 PM   #7
MikeK

The fold down rear armrest feature was dropped in the 160B. Along with changes in the rear side rests, this was likely done to further expand the rear seating room. I have seen a rotted out original 160C and it too lacked the rear center fold-down.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:10 PM   #8
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

Here is the Brigs "BUG" stamp on my 160c and the rear seat cushion which as mike says has NO arm rest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG0218.jpg (57.5 KB, 254 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG8982.jpg (58.8 KB, 248 views)
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:30 PM   #9
tmiller6

I've owned a couple of slant window fordors and can offer some casual observations. My first, a 160A Murray had only one visor. There were two blocks in the headlining but only one was drilled for a visor bracket. It was many years ago prior to digital photography and I did not document that. I have also noticed other differences. I believe Briggs favored a rear seat pocket on the 160B whereas most of the Murrays I've seen came with rear door pockets. For some reason most of the cars I've seen in this area have the earlier firewall if they're Briggs.
tmiller6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:23 AM   #10
Ed Saniewski

160B, the picture you posted of the Briggs stamp, is that on an indented firewall? My T/S is a straight firewall Briggs and dose not have a stamp there. My car did not come with a body tag and the paint had never been disturbed in the holes. Thanks Ed Saniewski

Model A Pick Up Owners and Enthusiasts
http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/group.php?groupid=5
Ed Saniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:46 AM   #11
160B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Saniewski View Post
160B, the picture you posted of the Briggs stamp, is that on an indented firewall? My T/S is a straight firewall Briggs and dose not have a stamp there. My car did not come with a body tag and the paint had never been disturbed in the holes. Thanks Ed Saniewski

The car is a 1931 S/W Town Sedan flat firewall. I purchased the car in 1998 with just under 60000 original miles. Engine number A4383607, assembled in the Seattle plant assembly AS378. Engine mfr date 2-24-31, and according to the Restoration Guidelines and Judging Standards rev 2011 in area 1 page 1-2 the assembly date could be as long as 4 months after the date the engine was produced.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:26 PM   #12
400A-64

I have been doing a study of the 160 A,B & C sedan for several years an can E-mail you some information. Send me your e-mail address any any questions that you may have. I'll be happy to answer them if I can.
Bruce Davis [email protected]
400A-64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:32 PM   #13
inex01

Quote:
Originally Posted by 160B View Post
As far as Murray or Briggs, when Ford built the 31 Slant Window he had Murray and Briggs build the bodies the same so parts were interchangeable. There are some telltale differences such as Briggs used d-nuts on the fire wall and Murray used caged nuts on the firewall. Also the Briggs had a manufactures mark the Briggs “Bug” on the lower front cowl see photo below.

The 160A. The ford Standard town Sedan had scrolled door and window handles, painted molding around the windows and painted front dash; the dome light was centered in the car with a switch on the light and a rubber mat in the driver's compartment.

160B. The ford deluxe town Sedan had a pull rope on the back of the front seat, simple non scrolled door and window handles, wood grained molding (with a scalloped lower frame ) wood grained front dash, the dome light was over the back window and was controlled by a sliding switch on the door post, cowl lights and carpet.

160C. same as 160B but no rear quarter windows, referred to as a blind back.

Slant windows had flat firewalls until the indented firewall started in April 1931.

Briggs "Bug"

Thanks I now know my Slant is made by Briggs as I have the "Bug" marking
Old 10-19-2012, 04:00 PM   #14
160B

Quote:
Originally Posted by inex01 View Post
Thanks I now know my Slant is made by Briggs as I have the "Bug" marking

Look under the carpet in the left front near the cowl and see if there is a stamping showing the assembly plant and assembly number.

Assembly plant info is at http://www.mafca.com/data_aplant_id_numbers.html

Below is a photo of the marking in my Slant Window AS378
Seattle assembly plant #378