Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-17-2018, 09:20 AM   #1
jim1932

Default 1932 Rumble seat diff 5 window and 3 window

I looked in the book and didn't see an answer (just means I suck at research). If you are looking at a set of cushions at a swap meet, what is the difference? I suppose I could also add whats the difference between an A and the above as well?

Thanks!
Old 08-17-2018, 11:51 AM   #2
DavidG

Default Re: 1932 Rumble seat diff 5 window and 3 window

You could start by asking Snyder's for the dimensions of the various springs, which would be a start, but only a start as the curvature of the rumble back cushion likely varies between the A and B cushions. The '32 deluxe coupe cushions are unique in how they attach to the floor and to the rumble lid and are not interchangeable with any other body type. Standard coupe, sport coupe, roadster, and cabriolet rumble cushions are basically the same except for upholstery differences.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 01:00 PM   #3
V8ER

At Snyder's, ask for Chris, the spring man.
V8ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 09:59 PM   #4
tomcarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
You could start by asking Snyder's for the dimensions of the various springs, which would be a start, but only a start as the curvature of the rumble back cushion likely varies between the A and B cushions. The '32 deluxe coupe cushions are unique in how they attach to the floor and to the rumble lid and are not interchangeable with any other body type. Standard coupe, sport coupe, roadster, and cabriolet rumble cushions are basically the same except for upholstery differences.
Looking to put a rumble seat back in our 3 window that has many years ago been lost. Car is not at all stock running gear but the body has not been butchered. No chop or cuts. Question is for David from this post is it the mounting brackets or the actual lid curvature that's not interchangeable. Also do the seat cushions (Butt sitting) interchange between the the aforementioned models and a deluxe or is the deluxe unique?
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 11:35 PM   #5
DavidG

The curvature of the deluxe coupe rumble lid differs from that of the other body types that I cited that have common seat back springs, not just how the seat back springs are attached to the respective rumble lids. As with the back cushion, the deluxe coupe rumble seat bottom cushion is unique and not interchangeable with the bottom cushions of the other body types with rumble seats. Both the back and bottom deluxe coupe rumble cushions are approximately 2" wider than those of the other body types, a difference that is reflected in Snyder's higher prices for the deluxe coupe springs.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 12:38 AM   #6
tomcarman

Thank you David very much. As stated the rumble seat in our 3 window is decades missing. Though it is not original the body is uncut and we now use the car for cruising and shows. My avatar shows the 5 window and we've always enjoyed putting the grandkids in the rumble at car shows (and they love it!) but that option isn't available in the deluxe. We'll research either repros or if anyone has rumble seats in the swap meet section.
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote