Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-11-2015, 08:54 PM   #1
Quigley1930

Default Looking at a TT

I'm sneaking over from the A forum(have 2) with a question about the TT's. A fiend is going to look at a 1920 TT on Sunday. He's a very good mechanic, metal worker and painter. He's done several trucks the oldest being a 1916(?) International. However he is not that familiar with T's.

The truck supposably runs and comes with two spare rear ends and a spare transmission. Are there some things he should look for especially in the running gear. Are the engines the same as a T? The owner is asking $3500.00. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Sewall Tyler
Quigley1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 12:13 AM   #2
big job

Default Re: Looking at a TT

I think you mean "are the engine the same as a A" ? I would say basically close,
the A is more refined. As for what to look for, my guess is it all there? A good eye
will tell; however for 3500 bucks probably won't be turn key but its a start..
sam
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 02:11 AM   #3
Steve Jelf

No, he's asking about a 1920 TT. Yes it's a Model T engine. The TT has a longer wheel base, a heavier frame, bigger rear wheels, and a heavier rear axle than the T, but the engine, transmission, and front wheels are the same as on the car. After all these years many of these vehicles have had a change of engine or other major components. Get the serial number (side of the engine, above the water inlet) and that will tell you the date of the engine. For $3500 it sounds like a good deal if most of it is in good condition, but I expect it's likely to need new bushings in steering and suspension and probably other fixes. The spare rear axles are a plus, especially if one of them is a Ruckstell. The Model T engine and transmission are mounted on the same oil pan as a single unit, so auxiliary transmissions are mounted behind that with a shortened drive shaft. If a water pump has been installed, that probably means the radiator is junk. After the first 2500 T's, the next fifteen million left the factory with no pumps because they weren't needed. As for knowing how to fix a T, there's a huge amount of information available. It's relatively simple, but not what you expect. If you dive right in without knowing what's in there, you can do some expensive damage. So if your friend does buy the truck, he'll need this: http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG80.html.

I see that some words in my comment have been turned into eBay links. I didn't do that and I don't know how to fix it. You can ignore them.
Steve Jelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 08:16 PM   #4
Quigley1930

Sam and Steve thank you very much. I will pass this information on and hope he finds it useful.

Sewall
Quigley1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 03:50 AM   #5
big job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quigley1930 View Post
Sam and Steve thank you very much. I will pass this information on and hope he finds it useful.

Sewall
You are welcome, as Steve said, I miss took, the engine question, my
impression was you are a model A guy and wanted to know if the TT
engines are the same as a A. I still think its a good start. There is
a TT locally but he wants around 8 grand and it is real tough and real
tuff means under pine trees for sixty years.. sam
big job is offline   Reply With Quote