Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-08-2014, 09:24 AM   #1
fordson

Default Q: 1933 Ford engine turned gauge panel - How manufactured or restorable to original

Hello barners,
I have found a good 1933 Ford dash insert gauge panel. Unfortunately the chrome has peeled off and the engine turned swivel pattern with it. I would like to restore the panel to its original former glory, avoiding a remanufactured billet repro panel. I have not found any information on the 1933 gauge panel manufacturing process with regards to the finish.
From what i have seen, the gauge panel is steel and must have been chromed initially. The engine turned swirl pattern must therefore have been applied by hand onto the chromed surface. I read that for the engine-turning pattern a 1/2” abrasive rubber stick is beeing used.

I would appreciate any information on the process and steps on how this gauge panels finish was produced, including the size / diameter and spacing of the swivels.
Any information with regards to someone who can or still does the engine turned swivel on chrom is much appreciated.

Thank you for your help,
many regards
fordson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:19 AM   #2
Fordors

Default Re: Q: 1933 Ford engine turned gauge panel - How manufactured or restorable to origin

While I can't help with the actual size of, or the pattern for the '33 insert I can offer some tips. I have used abrasive sticks as you describe, here in the states they are Cratex brand.
You will need access to a drill press and it should have a sufficient throat depth (from spindle centerline to column) to accommodate the insert. Use a piece of plywood and either directly on the surface, or on a sheet of paper lay out a grid of vertical and horizontal lines that will match your project and fasten that to the table of the drill press. Because your insert is an irregular shape you will need to mount it to another piece of wood with parallel sides so that it will keep everything in line. It will make things easier for you if you clamp a "fence" to the plywood board to guide the horizontal datum line; each time you produce a swirl you only have to line up the vertical line on the grid. As you finish a complete line move your fence to the next horizontal line of the grid and proceed until finished.
I did this on stainless and aluminum with excellent results years ago. I worked as a machinist and one time at work a German trained "old-timer" noticed my items and was impressed that I knew how to damascene as he called it. The only other thing I might add is that he said he used to do it with a length of wooden dowel, olive oil, and emery powder. He had never seen Cratex sticks as an apprentice in Europe. The Cratex sticks are rubber impregnated with abrasive and might not be aggressive enough for the chrome surface. If not you might try old Erwin's suggestion of wood rod, oil, and emery.
Fordors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:26 AM   #3
V12Bill

Default Re: Q: 1933 Ford engine turned gauge panel - How manufactured or restorable to origin

Maybe valve grinding compound could be used with a wooden dowel.
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:10 AM   #4
mfagan

Here's a link to the cratex webpage for round
sticks of various sizes. They work great!

http://www.cratex.com/rubblock.htm
mfagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:24 AM   #5
Andy

I had a computer generated pattern that I attached to a sheeton the drill press. I measure up a bunch of rows and accross a bunch to determine the spacing. On the 32, the pattern was not at 60* angles. I made a a tool to make the swirls. It was a flat head screw with a piece of leader glued on. I used valve grinding paste. You can't go back when started so be happy before making the next swirl. Practice on a sheet of steel to get a feel for it.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:14 PM   #6
David J

Never restored one as I have always had good used ones . That said here are a couple pics of gennie ones . You should be able to scale this with yours .
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordson View Post
Hello barners,
I have found a good 1933 Ford dash insert gauge panel. Unfortunately the chrome has peeled off and the engine turned swivel pattern with it. I would like to restore the panel to its original former glory, avoiding a remanufactured billet repro panel. I have not found any information on the 1933 gauge panel manufacturing process with regards to the finish.
From what i have seen, the gauge panel is steel and must have been chromed initially. The engine turned swirl pattern must therefore have been applied by hand onto the chromed surface. I read that for the engine-turning pattern a 1/2” abrasive rubber stick is beeing used.

I would appreciate any information on the process and steps on how this gauge panels finish was produced, including the size / diameter and spacing of the swivels.
Any information with regards to someone who can or still does the engine turned swivel on chrom is much appreciated.

Thank you for your help,
many regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0001.JPG (56.7 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0003.JPG (61.3 KB, 169 views)
David J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:50 AM   #7
fordson

Hey guys,
thank you very much for all the information. In this case i have not the equipment or experince and knowledge to engine turn the pattern myself. I was hoping to find some old timer in my area, that could do the job for me.
However it might be more complicated than i thought, because the finishing process is not that easy.
However, its always good to know what you are talking about and to find a possible solution or way to deal with a situation.
This feedback is very much appreciated.
Regards
Old 01-11-2014, 03:57 AM   #8
fordson

Hi David,
would not have believed that one could still find these panels in an original condition.
Maybe i could find one like that in the US or should place a "Wanted" ad on Ford barn instead of trying to restore one or have it restored because its so difficult to find someone who has the experience.
Thanx for the nice pictures,
many regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by David J View Post
Never restored one as I have always had good used ones . That said here are a couple pics of gennie ones . You should be able to scale this with yours .
Old 01-12-2014, 01:24 PM   #9
David J

Didn't buy these in recent times . On finding one they show up occasionally if you are patient enough . Make sure you look the back over also and check the size of the gauge openings . Had one offered to me a while back that had SLIGHTLY enlarged openings = junkolla !!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordson View Post
Hi David,
would not have believed that one could still find these panels in an original condition.
Maybe i could find one like that in the US or should place a "Wanted" ad on Ford barn instead of trying to restore one or have it restored because its so difficult to find someone who has the experience.
Thanx for the nice pictures,
many regards
David J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:34 PM   #10
Tom Walker

Hi Fordson, I could help you with that. I have engine turned 2 dashes for my old cars, and I think they were indistinguishable from the originals. I do it on a small drill press with a mill table, which allows me to move the tool a set distance accurately. If you would like to PM me we can go from there.

Cheers, Tom.
Tom Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:18 AM   #11
whizzernick

TOM WALKER
what was your method ? did you crome first and then do engine turn. I my self made an fixture to do exact pattern but found engine turn over crome would go threw to nickel and look kind of yellow . I am now trying a new way that might work out. I first did nickel plate then engine turn and now the panel is at the platers for a crome final coat. I will post when I get panel back.
whizzernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:39 AM   #12
Tom Walker

Hi Nick
I only did ali panels, so very different. I was going to ask on the Forum if anyone knows how they were done by the factory.

I used a hard wood dowel which I machined to the diameter i wanted which was 5/8" and then made up a paste with fine valve grinding paste and engine oil. My idea was to make the paste just "runny" enough to spread in a consistent layer on the dash, to achieve a uniform grind.

Instead of clamping a fence to the work, I used my milling table on a drill press to keep the lines straight.

Having studied the patterns of various engine turned dashes, I overlapped 50% moving down the row. Then the next row overlaps 50% on the one above.

I would like to hear how the Ford panels were done. I reckoned they must have done the turning onto a chromed panel, but chrome is very hard, so it would not be straight forward. If only a thin layer of chrome is applied, it is very possible that a sheet of steel was engine turned, then the chrome applied to that....any thoughts?

cheers, Tom.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:01 AM   #13
whizzernick

back to you TOM
To my knowledge : Crome plating in 1933 was a dull crome. That is the finished product ( example 1933 grill ) the grill was plated and the outer band was polished
to achieve that mirror finish. on an original 1933 grill the bars were not polished . The end result was mirror finish on outer dull finish on bars. ( In 2003 at the grand national V-8 meet Dennis Carpenter had a NOS 1933 grill )
So back to the dash panel I belive the crome was the same as grill that is dull then engine turn whitch would give that dull swerel pattern. I have several original panels and they all have dull crome on edges
Nick
Old 01-15-2014, 11:32 AM   #14
34coupe

do a search on the internet,engine turned aluminum, on ebay or other sources, small sheet form, trim to fit, Dave
Old 01-15-2014, 11:54 AM   #15
Ziffer

The pattern for the engine turning is 1/4 overlap both vertical and horizontal. I did mine on my drill press with a craytex stick. Can get different sizes from McMastercarr. The process is simple but you have to be focused and patient.

1. Iput a piece of 1/4 graph paper on a flat plate and mounted the plate on my drill press.

2. From my stainless 18ga I cut out a rectangle (90 degree/ perpendicular corners cut to fit the trapozoid of the dash later).

3. Now using the straight square sides I just slide the stainless across the 1/4 graph/grid and stop at every cell in the grid. No compound needed just bring down the craytex that was chucked in the drill press (low speed) for 1 second and let it up. (very little down pressure needed)
4. Repeat as you go across the stainless. When you get to the end slide it up to the next row on the graph paper and pake the next row of turnings overlap the previous by 1/4 inch. (Also, look closely at the pattern the rows are staggered from the one above.)

**you can not make any mistakes as you can not erase the turning so plan some time and be patient.

I will try to post a pic.

Z
Ziffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:49 AM   #16
Tom Walker

Ziffer
can you give more info. ie were you overlapping 1/4" or 1/4 of diameter of circle. What was the diameter of the Craytex stick? Can you describe a Craytex stick, we don't have them in the UK,
thanks, Tom.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:31 PM   #17
whizzernick

Wink Re: Q: 1933 Ford engine turned gauge panel - How manufactured or restorable to origin

I just found Pictures of fixture that I use to engine turn 33 dash panel.

I am working on exchange program . Any thoughts or comments ????
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02305.jpg (78.7 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02306.jpg (76.0 KB, 43 views)
Old 01-18-2014, 01:24 PM   #18
Sixseven

Quote:
Originally Posted by V12Bill View Post
Maybe valve grinding compound could be used with a wooden dowel.
Valve grinding compound on a cut and mounted eraser?
Sixseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:36 PM   #19
stangblue

I don't suggest this because it a crude way to do engine turning on metal. But back in the day when we weren't too particular and not much money or resourses. We would roll up a emery cloth strip tightly ( make sure the dowel doesnt show at the bottom where your cloth ends) on a wood dowel tape it in the beginning of the wind and the last wind closed. Put in a drill press or just a drill and presto!
stangblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:33 PM   #20
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

I know Ian NZ has done this on his restored 32, might be worth a PM to him .

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote