Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-04-2017, 09:37 PM   #1
sjhark

Default 31 Deluxe Roadster top iron rivets

Hi, all,
I'm refinishing the top irons on my Deluxe Roadster and need to have the chromed pieces replated. I have about a hundred questions, and come up with more every time I look at them!
Does anyone have any advice on doing this? Does anyone make replacement rivets for the two I have to remove to get the chromed piece off (each set), or do I need to make my own? How did you hold the whole contraption to re-rivet it?
Any advice would help me drink less and get more sleep! Thank you!
sjhark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 12:26 PM   #2
sphooch

Default Re: 31 Deluxe Roadster top iron rivets

Hi, I did mine on my deluxe 31, the plating is pricey but worth it. the rivets can be purchased at Brattons. the original color paint was mixed for me at Sherman Williams and I I brushed it on after spraying a couple coats of primer. the name of the top iron paint can be found in the restoration guide.take your time they can come out really nice. Ididn't have to take mine apart to have it plated so no help here with installing the stainless steel rivet.But in installing other rivets on the car I do know you have to heat it cherry red and peen it over, I used a tool to finish the rivets to make them look more factory. Good Luck THE HOOCH
sphooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 11:49 AM   #3
sjhark

Default Re: 31 Deluxe Roadster top iron rivets

Thanks, Hooch! I guess I just assumed that the platers would want the irons disassembled. I'll have to ask what they want.
My local paint guy said he could mix up the paint to match the color chip in the Paint and Finish Guide, so I at least have that going for me. Thanks for your help!
sjhark is offline   Reply With Quote