Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-15-2016, 05:28 PM   #1
Joe Shell

Default Fuel starvation problem 36 Cabriolet

My 36 Ford seems to have a fuel starvation problem. The car has a stock fuel pump with an electric fuel pump in line. When the car sits for a week or two, I run the electric fuel pump for around 30 seconds and she starts right up and runs fine. Today I figured I'd go for a short ride. The car had not been started fo about a week. I turned on the electric fuel pump but did not hear the usual clicking sound it makes when it is running. When I turn on the electric fuel pump the ammeter needle moves indicating there is current going to the pump.

I poured some gas into the Strom 97 carb and she starts up, runs for 5 seconds, and dies. Did this around 5 times with same result. I figure even if the electric pump is not working, the mechanical stock pump should deliver fuel to the carb when the motor is running on the prime I pour into the carb. No luck!

Could both pumps be bad?

Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe
Joe Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 05:55 PM   #2
corvette8n

Default Re: Fuel starvation problem 36 Cabriolet

You might have a plugged supply line.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 06:49 PM   #3
SofaKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvette8n View Post
You might have a plugged supply line.
the inline pump may be the obstruction in the supply line, draws power but does not sound like it is pumping is what I glean from the description. Replace it with a rubber hose or just break the line downstream and turn it on.-briefly!
SofaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 10:51 PM   #4
39topless

Disconnect the fuel line at the carb, turn the engine over and see if gas is coming out of the line. If not then check the line just before the mech pump and so on back to the tank. NOTE: Are you sure that you have gas in the tank?
39topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 04:00 AM   #5
Joe Shell

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll work on it ASAP.

Joe
Old 06-16-2016, 06:30 AM   #6
slowforty

Hit the electric fuel pump with a small hammer. How hard you hit it,it depends on how mad you are.
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 01:36 PM   #7
blucar

The fuel that is currently being sold is most likely the problem. In the last couple of years I have lost the mechanical fuel pump and backup electric pump on everyone of my vintage cars. I have also experienced problems with the carbs and rubber fuel lines, the unleaded gas eats them up.
My tune up man is recommending the use of 4.oz per 10 gal fuel of Marvel Mystery Oil to minimize carb problems.
I would assume that your electric fuel pump is mounted close to the fuel tank and that you have a filter in the line prior to the pump. You should also make sure that the electric pump is compatible with unleaded fuel. If the electric pump is more than five years old, it most likely is not. The same can be said of the mechanical pump.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:54 PM   #8
Joe Shell

Thanks to your suggestions I was able to find the problem. It was the mechanical fuel pump not working at all. Luckily I had a rebuilt on hand, installed it and motor runs great.

Unfortunately, when replacing the fuel pump, I stripped thr thread in one side of the fuel pump stand. This car has an accessory canister type oil filter on it. The return line runs from the oil filter to a banjo type type fitting which goes under one of the bolts that holds the fuel pump to the stand. This bolt is hollow and allows the oil to pass through it and return to the crankcase via the oil breather tube. Since the female threads are stripped on the fuel pump stand, I'm unable to tighten the hollow bolt and secure the banjo fitting. The result is a serious oil leak.
I will start a new thread asking for help with this latest problem.

Thanks for the help with the fuel starvation problem.

Joe