Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-16-2010, 03:06 PM   #1
jimalabam

Default Gordon Smith Model A Air Compressor

I have a good friend who has just "found" a Model A engine converted to an air compressor still in a wooden crate in an old warehouse. This is a Gordon Smith unit. Do you have photos/literature/info for this make? If you do I will send email and PX #. Also I know there was at least one article in an old RESTORER, but it is too cold to go to my barn and research. THANKS for your help. Jim Langley...
jimalabam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:35 PM   #2
Kevin in NJ

Default Re: Gordon Smith Model A Air Compressor

Is it a factory compressor?

Might it be a virgin new engine in a crate? Does it have an engine number stamped on it?

If so then it might be the starts of a wonderful original engine for a car and quite the waste as a compressor.

As a compressor they are very functional as I have used the Smiths compressor to sand blast several cars. It just runs on idle all day long giving tons of air. You do have to do a lot to chill the air and get the water out. A very long coil of pipe in a tank does the trick.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:37 PM   #3
Vern

Jim, there is a national Smith Motor Compressor Club that has been chartered just this year by both MAFCA and MARC. Membership is just $10 per year. They publish a quality quarterly newsletter, and have a national Smith serial number registry. For more information contact club President Stan Johnson at [email protected].
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:55 PM   #4
Colorado Greg

This was posted last week
https://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread...ghlight=gordon
Colorado Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:57 PM   #5
sturgis 39

Here are some pictures of my Gorden Smith air squeezer. I use it for make up air for the EIMCO 401 air locomotive. I leave my railroad up year around. The railroad is 18" gauge. I also use the compressor for the crane and cement mixer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0247.jpg (83.5 KB, 315 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0246.jpg (85.5 KB, 323 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0244.jpg (79.9 KB, 301 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0245.jpg (93.1 KB, 268 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0243.jpg (80.7 KB, 254 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0242.jpg (78.8 KB, 256 views)

Do not get me started on the stupidity of ethanol. I think one of the monitors is from Iowa and he will delete the thread.
sturgis 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:24 PM   #6
pooch

A close up pic of the head and carb/exhaust/ignition/governor (if it has one) would be great.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:49 PM   #7
sturgis 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch View Post
A close up pic of the head and carb/exhaust/ignition/governor (if it has one) would be great.

I will try for more detail tomorrow. It does not have much for exhaust. Old Jasper starts running up the hill when he thinks that is where we are headed. I use to open the RR up before I plowed my road. Now I am told if I do not want to shoot something for supper I better plow the road.

Do not get me started on the stupidity of ethanol. I think one of the monitors is from Iowa and he will delete the thread.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:28 PM   #8
Special Coupe Frank

Sturgis,

Is that a Studebaker radiator / shell ?

SC Frank
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:50 PM   #9
sturgis 39

SC FRANK

Yes that is a Studebaker radiator shell. The compressor came with it. Do you know what year it might be?

Old 12-17-2010, 01:28 PM   #10
Special Coupe Frank

Best I can tell, '29-'30 Studebaker. There may have been subtle differences, but '28 and '31 were very distinctly different from the one on your compressor.

Regards,

Frank
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:28 AM   #11
michael morton

Jim
Is your friend wanting to sell the motor? I have a compressor without a motor.Mike
michael morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:09 PM   #12
Richard Wilson

Jim, It would be great if you could get some pictures of your friend's Smith in the crate to share. I wouldn't destroy the compressor just to get a Model A short block. The compressor, if complete and running, would probably be worth more as a collectible compressor than as another rebuilt block.
Richard Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:11 AM   #13
sonny30coupe

That compressor is not worth a $1000, they are not really "collectible"
sonny30coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:49 AM   #14
Tom Wesenberg

Were Gordon Smith compressors built using rebuilt junkyard engines, good used engines, or brand new engines?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:41 PM   #15
asapguy

Several years ao I bought a large collection of orig. car owners manuals form the 30-40's. With those manuals there was a large collection or orig. Gordon Smith Compressor literature, including colored brochures, instruction sheets & plans for building the units, price lists & parts lists. In the brochures units were listed with both new & rebuilt Model B motors. The motors were available with just the compressor head also. A new B motor with head was $295(Model 200) A rebuilt B motor was $240(R-200). Complete running units were available (Model R-100) with a rebuilt A motor for $595 (new A motor $650). They also list a Model 120 which had two (yes two) New Model B motors, these carried a price tag of $1185. How many units would you like to buy??? They put out 60 cu.ft or 120 cu.ft. of air. Perry, Snohomish Wa.
asapguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:03 PM   #16
Don/WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny30coupe View Post
That compressor is not worth a $1000, they are not really "collectible"
I don't know how you can say they are not "collectible" when it's pretty obvious that there are quite a number of people that have these machines. As stated earlier in this thread, there is a special interest group that started their own club for the Gordon Smith "A" Air Compressor. I own one but do not belong to the special interest group. Will probably consider doing so as a result of this thread. Don't mean to ruffle any feathers. Just my $0.02 worth. Don/WI
Don/WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:17 PM   #17
asapguy

Gordon Smith Compressors are very collectible. They were used by mining operations & city municipalities around the country. They were even used at Mt. Rushmore. They ran on two cyl. & pumped air with the other two. In a piece of literature I have signed by Gordon Smith & written to a customer he stated that some parts were getting hard to come by because of the war effort. Perry in snowy Snohomish Wa.
asapguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:12 AM   #18
Ken Ehrenhofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by asapguy View Post
Several years ao I bought a large collection of orig. car owners manuals form the 30-40's. With those manuals there was a large collection or orig. Gordon Smith Compressor literature, including colored brochures, instruction sheets & plans for building the units, price lists & parts lists. In the brochures units were listed with both new & rebuilt Model B motors. The motors were available with just the compressor head also. A new B motor with head was $295(Model 200) A rebuilt B motor was $240(R-200). Complete running units were available (Model R-100) with a rebuilt A motor for $595 (new A motor $650). They also list a Model 120 which had two (yes two) New Model B motors, these carried a price tag of $1185. How many units would you like to buy??? They put out 60 cu.ft or 120 cu.ft. of air. Perry, Snohomish Wa.
Would you like to sell the Gordon Smith Literature and if not be willing to make good color copies fro those of us in the Gordon Smith Region???
I would love to see your collection???
Thanks,
Ken
Ken Ehrenhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:44 AM   #19
bgarrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Were Gordon Smith compressors built using rebuilt junkyard engines, good used engines, or brand new engines?

My 1949 Gordon Smith has a 1931 engine, Does that answer your question?

As for not being collectible my expensive new 80 gallon air compressor claims 17 CFM. The Gordon smith is about 60 CFM as I recall. Thats not exact but which would you prefer for sandblasting?
bgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:08 AM   #20
blopez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Greg View Post
Have already checked it in the other thread because there are also some pictures of the air compressor. Definitely looks nice and it would be great to own it. I need a new air compressor too and I do not own one. Due to this I am using a good air compressor rental which is fantastic until I find the perfect offer to buy one.
blopez is offline   Reply With Quote