Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-11-2020, 09:50 PM   #21
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: 1936 Ford Pickup - New Engine and transmission

Hey Gang . . . just want to ponder a couple things here. WE know what this site is all about - others do not. I think it is perfectly appropriate for us to say what the Barn is all about, the types of cars we build, etc.. What I question is when we decide to slay the newbie who came here looking for information, had honest questions, wasn't hostile, etc.. Why do we do that?

Do we need to immediately unwelcome those who (we decide) don't fit our culture and mode of operation - or should we do our best to communicate what we're all about (and why) and if they don't fit that mold, then direct them to the places that are more appropriate for their style of build? There is no reason to be judgmental or negative - nothing of value really comes of it.

I appreciate many forms of automotive design (own many different styles of vehicles) - and I've realized that while I have pretty strong opinions about a lot of things related to our early Fords, that I also am not the owner of the cars being discussed. I have no need to look down on those who don't build them the same way I do . . . in fact, I might learn something from those who stray outside the lines of stock style builds and factory original type restorations. Example: I constantly learn from those who build race versions of our ole' flatheads.

In the end, it is always better to be clear, be positive and provide value to those who show up here - as they showed up with no bad intentions and it is not in our best interest to paint ourselves in a negative light.

Who knows, they may have a friend who DOES fit our mold, but they won't speak too highly of us if we slaughter them for innocently coming to the BARN (thinking we're a decent fit) - only to get a negative impression.

Okay, maybe one too may beers tonight . . . just wanted to bring some thoughts and perspectives to our collective table.

Last edited by Bored&Stroked; 12-12-2020 at 01:12 PM.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 10:08 PM   #22
OldGold360

Lawson started it...

... but you’re absolutely right.
OldGold360 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 11:29 PM   #23
tubman

Excellent post. Dale.

I agree completely; Thank you for your measured reasoned response.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 01:36 AM   #24
tomcarman

Bored and Stroked, post # 21. Thank you for that eloquent post. There have been numerous, one might say, less than diplomatic responses (rude) in many threads. Generally by the same senior members. I recall vividly when I had 1st posted being criticized, in my interpretation, to the point where I decided to not post at all. This forum has an incredible wealth of knowledge with many members more than willing to share information, advice, opinions, parts and such. For a member, new or old to be ridiculed, insulted or denigrated to me, tells me more about the poster than it does about the question asked. IMO tact and diplomacy, such as post # 21 says it all.
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 08:31 AM   #25
TomT/Williamsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
Hey Gang . . . just want to ponder a couple things here. WE know what this site is all about - others do not. I think it is perfectly appropriate for us to say what the Barn is all about, the types of cars we build, etc.. What I question is when we decide to slay the newbie who came here looking for information, had honest questions, wasn't hostile, etc.. Why do we do that?

Do we need to immediately unwelcome those who (we decide) don't fit our culture and mode of operation - or should we do our best to communicate what we're all about (and why) and if they don't fit that mold, then direct them to the places that are more appropriate for their style of build? There is no reason to be judgmental or negative - nothing of value really comes of it.

I appreciate many forms of automotive design (own many different styles of vehicles) - and I've realized that while I have pretty strong opinions about a lot of things related to our early Fords, that I also am not the owner of the cars being discussed. I have no need to look down on those who don't build them the same way I do . . . in fact, I might learn something from those who are different than I. Example: I constantly learn from those who build race versions of our ole' flatheads.

In the end, it is always better to be clear, be positive and provide value to those who show up here - as they showed up with no bad intentions and it is not in our best interest to paint ourselves in a negative light.

Who knows, they may have a friend who DOES fit our mold, but they won't speak too highly of us if we slaughter them for innocently coming to the BARN (thinking we're a decent fit) - only to get a negative impression.

Okay, maybe one too may beers tonight . . . just wanted to bring some thoughts and perspectives to our collective table.

Very very well said, sir - thank you!
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 11:59 AM   #26
Lanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcarman View Post
Bored and Stroked, post # 21. Thank you for that eloquent post. There have been numerous, one might say, less than diplomatic responses (rude) in many threads. Generally by the same senior members. I recall vividly when I had 1st posted being criticized, in my interpretation, to the point where I decided to not post at all. This forum has an incredible wealth of knowledge with many members more than willing to share information, advice, opinions, parts and such. For a member, new or old to be ridiculed, insulted or denigrated to me, tells me more about the poster than it does about the question asked. IMO tact and diplomacy, such as post # 21 says it all.

Yes, Bored and Stroked's post was very well written.

also, Tomcarman used very good descriptive words, that is
short and to the point and summed things up pretty well.

If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.
But if daddy ain't happy...RUN
Lanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 04:34 PM   #27
Ol' Ron

A warmed over 59a, is about all this site will allow. You might consider upgrading the suspension and brakes, With all that HP.
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 05:30 PM   #28
Rodrelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpaupst View Post
Thanks for the feedback, especially those who helped. Just to be clear, i Have two 1936 Ford Pickups, One is original and one is incomplete and will be a resto mod. it has an entire new rolling chassis. That is the one I am looking for parts for. I too, prefer not to "bastardize" original's. The other is just some pieces of the body I have. I will take my questions elsewhere.

Thanks again
Sorry for my rash response, been there myself. I have also been scolded for my use of model A parts at cruise-in. Proper response is to show pics of the material I start with, and no restorer would not want my parts. Body filler used on rust pits in frame & whatever sheet metal about 90% of surface. Previous customizes butchered all the crossmembers to where over 50% needed re- construction. The proper application of pre-war parts in a creation saves the early ford legacy, no matter the outcome better than the scrap scale.
More stitches than Frankenstein, no guilt
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 72A66C69-B264-402E-B567-8E66269DABE8.jpeg (60.5 KB, 41 views)
Rodrelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 07:48 PM   #29
GB SISSON

Bored and Stroked.... That was so well put. I think of you as an excellent example of what the rest of us barners stand for. Seems like when I do a build thread and I'm afraid I have overstepped the bounds, you chime in with a vote of common sense. We're not all rich and we're not all steeped in tradition, and we're not all well connected. What we all Are is lovers of the early fords and the history connected. And I'm only two beers in.....
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 08:50 PM   #30
Bored&Stroked

Hey Collective Barner Crew --- thanks for the positive responses and comments. I was not trying to be up on my stump and preach - though I get a bit reflective at times.

I'm like all of you (and humans in general), sometimes I get a bit cross-threaded and need to stand back and take full measure of myself . . . and there are many times where I'm underwhelmed by how I've handled things, what I said, even more so what I SHOULD have said, etc..

We're all works in progress - I pray to the Good Lord to help me keep making positive steps forward - knowing all the while that some days I'm sliding backwards.

Merry Christmas to you ALL and everybody you care about!
Old 12-13-2020, 10:28 AM   #31
deuce5wndw

Thanks Dale and merry Christmas to you and your loved ones. Sure do wish I could my words together like you can!
deuce5wndw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 12:11 PM   #32
Mart

Can I ask a question? I thought of this when I saw the 37 in another thread.

Street rods are not really catered for here. The HAMB is centred on traditional Hot Rods.

So which forums do cater for the street rod crowd? Or is a street rod a relic from the 80s/90s?

Just wondering, not trying to be controversial or anything.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 12:22 PM   #33
Lanny

Street rods are generally 1948 and older modified vehicles.
Here in the one state of Minnesota alone, we have over 25,000 members.
Nationally, there has to be tons and tons of street rods.

If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.
But if daddy ain't happy...RUN
Lanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 12:35 PM   #34
tubman

Yeah, we even have special "Street Rod" license plates. The "Minnesota Street Rod Association" is very active politically and helps all of us in the end. Among other things, they are responsible for the almost universal availability of non-oxygenated gas here.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 01:45 PM   #35
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I have been on several Street Rod sites/forums in the past but can't think of the locations at the moment. A quick online search should turn up a number of them.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 02:49 PM   #36
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
I have been on several Street Rod sites/forums in the past but can't think of the locations at the moment. A quick online search should turn up a number of them.
And of course, most of us have likely heard the old adage about the difference between a "street rod" and a real "hot rod". A Street Rod has a Chevy under the hood with lawn chairs and a can of wax in the trunk. A Hot Rod has a flathead or Rocket Olds under the hood and a well-stocked toolbox in the trunk. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 03:01 PM   #37
Bored&Stroked

The lines have surely blurred in recent years - as there are quite a few 'HotRods' that are designed to look traditional, use a lot of vintage parts (especially 50's and older engines), but have modern transmissions, modern rear ends, sometimes EFI, etc.. I see a lot of cross-over between what used to be more distinct trends and build styles.

There was a time in the 80's and 90's where 'build styles' were much more distinctly different - seemed that many of the StreetRod crowd were painting their cars ice-cream colors, had wild graphics on the sides of them, etc. -- you don't see that as much these days. In fact, many in the StreetRod crowd have come back toward the traditional HotRodders crowd . . . as tastes have changed. (Thank God!)

I can appreciate a well designed, expertly built, high-quality and "true to period" automobile in many forms. Heck, I'd like to have "one of each" . . . as many others would.

I love my 32 Cabriolet - for all it's simplicity, the originality of so much of it - the old 'style' that comes with it and the nasty and loud flathead. I have tried to keep all of it in it's original early 40's HotRod build period and be true to the original builder. It looks and acts like a Pre-WWII hotrod - exactly as it was built by 'Earl'. I must also admit that I don't consider it a comfortable long-distance automobile. Even with 'modern' Lincoln hydraulic brakes and a totally rebuilt suspension - you better be on your game when you drive it.

Maybe that is why I have a 32 three-window that is a Street Rod . . . a completely different car, no real comparison on any front (other that outward body style). It was built in the 90's, has some "goofy" left-overs from that era (that I'm slowly getting rid of) - and it will morph back into a more traditionally styled build as I continue it on it's journey. I've replaced its entire drivetrain - because the quality and performance didn't suit me. It has gone from a 250 HP SBC 350 smog-motor to a 520 HP 383 that I built . . . along with a highly modified 700R4 and a 9" Ford rear. Now, I need to get to the body (has glass fenders), interior (looks like a fricking boat interior), etc.. It has a long ways to go! But - it is damn fun to drive, has AC, has rack-n-pinion steering, has disc brakes, etc.. It is a completely different car than my 32 Cab . . . it is definitely easier and much safer to drive . . . so it has its place in my stable.

Enough out of me . . . need to get back to designing a new lower 5-main girdle for a flathead I'm building - something a LONG ways from stock! LOL
Old 12-14-2020, 10:08 PM   #38
bpaupst

Hey All,

Just wanted to say thanks for the comments and help. Lesson Learned haha. But i do have some news that is much more up everyones alley. This weekend i was finally able to start looking into the original 1936 pickup i bought. Obviously it isn't perfect but after weeks of PB Blaster on every Spark plug, and a few weeks of Marvel Mystery Oil, I finally decided to figure out if this truck was going to become a parts truck (i know it would of been a real shame but i'm not made of money either) or if i was actually going to try and get this truck on the road as original (which i highly prefer). If the motor was seized it would have really made it hard to put money into instead of using parts off the truck. But Like i said, this is GOOD news. It turned over no problem. (I tried to upload a video but am having some difficulties) I do need to replaces the distributor as its missing a piece on one side. Anything to look for or avoid? Im going to replace all the spark plugs and wires as well. Id like to get this running!
bpaupst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 08:24 PM   #39
Bored&Stroked

If it has been sitting for a long time, pull the oil pan as it will undoubtedly have a bunch of solidified sludge in it. You don't want to attempt to pull that through the oil-pump and into the bearings. If it was mine, I'd pull the pan, check the bearings, check the oil-pump and potentially replace the oil-pump with a late 49-53 (with the proper pickup screen).

I've found that cleaning out the pan is a MUST on any one these older engines . . .
Old 12-15-2020, 09:01 PM   #40
tomcarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
If it has been sitting for a long time, pull the oil pan as it will undoubtedly have a bunch of solidified sludge in it. You don't want to attempt to pull that through the oil-pump and into the bearings. If it was mine, I'd pull the pan, check the bearings, check the oil-pump and potentially replace the oil-pump with a late 49-53 (with the proper pickup screen).

I've found that cleaning out the pan is a MUST on any one these older engines . . .
Very good advice. Maybe you can help me. I'm not interested in Hijacking this post. Could you read the thread posted by Oldgold 360 regarding 35-36 wiper motor question? Could use some advice. PM me and Oldgold360 if you have advice and/or opinion. Thanks very much! You have my respect.
Tom
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote