Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-12-2014, 01:23 PM   #1
Harylufa

Default Oil in Distributor..!Help!

Hello everyone!

I realized that there is some oil in the distributor. And I saw that the oil travels right through the vacuum hose.
I noticed that the car has trouble starting and tends to stop at low rpm.
I took the carburetor out, remove it from the car, clean it, change together but just followed.

Remove the distributor because I thought they were the points and I found this loss of oil out of the camshaft. It was full of oil the vacuum pipe.

It is possible that oil from the engine and then the engine does not operate properly?

What to do? please I really will thank your advise and ask me if you need more info.

Hary
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Distributor oil.jpg (61.6 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg Distributor oil2.jpg (55.8 KB, 138 views)

Harylufa!
Harylufa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 01:50 PM   #2
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Oil in Distributor..!Help!

1. Wiggle shaft at back of distributor and see if has a loose fit
2. Remove adjuster assembly of vacuum brake, the huge nut at top, and see if there is a piston in there...I'm guessing that if the piston were to be left out, the distributor would suck up a lot of oil.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:42 PM   #3
Mart

Hary, there should be some oil in that area. The timing cover should have a drain hole at the bottom so the area should not fill with oil. Make sure the hole isn't blocked. The rear bush should have 2 holes (from memory) to allow the bush to be lubed. There should be a drain hole at the bottom. Make sure it isn't blocked.

Make sure your engine isn't overfilled.

There should also be a drain hole in the bottom of the distributor, (again from memory, I'm sure I'm not imagining this stuff). Check that one isn't blocked too.

It might not be relevant, but it would probably be worth cleaning up the gasket face on the timing cover it has a lot of blue paint on it. You have to rely on that hole at the top to provide the vacuum to allow the vac brake to release.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:23 PM   #4
BUBBAS IGNITION

Harry,

I like Mart think you dont really have a problem as there should be oil in that area.
NOW there should be no oil inside the distributor or the vacuum line its self...

I never thought of the vacuum sucking oil when piston is removed like Bruce mentioned?????
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:28 PM   #5
V8COOPMAN

Bruce is slick...he does know some stuff! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:17 PM   #6
Harylufa

Hi Amigos!

Mart, I can not find the hole you mention below, where is it?

Hary, there should be some oil in that area. The timing cover should have a drain hole at the bottom so the area should not fill with oil. Make sure the hole isn't blocked. The rear bush should have 2 holes (from memory) to allow the bush to be lubed. There should be a drain hole at the bottom. Make sure it isn't blocked.

Bruce! The piston is there inside. And the huge nut is very tight.

Bubba! In high rpm motor make a strange noise.

I am going to have a video so you can see and hear what happen when car is on

I will back with news

Thank all for your time

Hary

Harylufa!
Old 08-13-2014, 02:47 PM   #7
Mart

I didn't imagine it, I just checked a spare crab distributor and it has a drain hole.

Here's a pic:

And one showing the holes for lubricating the bush, which proves you need oil around the area.

Mart.

Last edited by Mart; 08-13-2014 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:47 PM   #8
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

I'm at work and do not have a front cover to look at...but the drain hole, from memory, is at the bottom of the groove in the cover where you can see a puddle of collected oil.
Take something thin and pointed like a nail (clavo! How did I remember that, of all things!) and poke around. I think the hole is slanted to the rear about 45 degrees. It is clearly plugged!
Old 08-13-2014, 03:02 PM   #9
Harylufa

Amigos!
I attach a video showing a screaming penguin sound of my engine. Just after I finish accelerating you can hear the "screaming". I think that the vacuum hose is suctioning oil. Try to hear this strange sound carefully. The other strange sound are my kids, sorry but they wanted to be filmed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmljuU1dRQ8

Thank you,

Hary.

Harylufa!
Old 08-13-2014, 03:02 PM   #10
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Here, Mart! #33 in drawing...the cap was only used in very early ones.

Old 08-13-2014, 03:07 PM   #11
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Well...Poke out the drain hole, remove the manifold connection to vac line and plug or tape up the hole. Go for a ride and see what happens. It should run well enough with vac disconnected. I'm at work with my boss 20 feet away, could not safely listen to your penguin!
Old 08-13-2014, 03:15 PM   #12
Harylufa

Mart,

Now I understood! I checked it and it is not blocked.

Bruce: thanks for posting the picture. It is very illustrative.

Is there any possibility that the camshaft seal is broken?? I am worried about the important oil leakage!

Hary.

Harylufa!
Old 08-13-2014, 03:19 PM   #13
Harylufa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Lancaster View Post
1. Wiggle shaft at back of distributor and see if has a loose fit
2. Remove adjuster assembly of vacuum brake, the huge nut at top, and see if there is a piston in there...I'm guessing that if the piston were to be left out, the distributor would suck up a lot of oil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post

Make sure your engine isn't overfilled.

There should also be a drain hole in the bottom of the distributor, (again from memory, I'm sure I'm not imagining this stuff). Check that one isn't blocked too.

It might not be relevant, but it would probably be worth cleaning up the gasket face on the timing cover it has a lot of blue paint on it. You have to rely on that hole at the top to provide the vacuum to allow the vac brake to release.

Mart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBAS IGNITION View Post
Harry,

I like Mart think you dont really have a problem as there should be oil in that area.
NOW there should be no oil inside the distributor or the vacuum line its self...

I never thought of the vacuum sucking oil when piston is removed like Bruce mentioned?????
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
Bruce is slick...he does know some stuff! DD
Quote:
Well...Poke out the drain hole, remove the manifold connection to vac line and plug or tape up the hole. Go for a ride and see what happens. It should run well enough with vac disconnected. I'm at work with my boss 20 feet away, could not safely listen to your penguin!

Jajaja! I am not crazy, I think the problem is that there is a penguin in my engine!! Be careful, I don't want you to be fired!

Harylufa!
Old 08-13-2014, 03:21 PM   #14
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

The bottom exterior vent is for air flow! The patent actually discusses it thus: It is place where it is to get maximum airflow from the little storm kicked up by the rotating advance mechanism, and the flow is largely to get ozone out of there because it can make the air conductive.
The provision for ventilation is most import

ant. Ozone in appreciable quantities is formed

incident to the arcing of contacts. If this reaches

too high a concentration, the atmosphere within

the distributor is subject to ionization and elec

tric discharges through it may occur. ‘Placing

the ventilator in proximity to the centrifugal control insures a constant circulation of air.

end of quote from the patent...I think a secondary role of that vent is to get condensation out of there. But at any rate if any great amount of oil gets to THAT hole your distributor is about to drown!
Old 08-13-2014, 03:23 PM   #15
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Well, remove oil filler cap and place a cod fish on fender. Be VERY quiet and wait... you'll get him out of there for sure!
Old 08-13-2014, 03:38 PM   #16
Harylufa

Quote:
Well, remove oil filler cap and place a cod fish on fender. Be VERY quiet and wait... you'll get him out of there for sure!
Bruce!

Very interested, i am going to test that. I will be back with news

Harylufa!
Old 08-13-2014, 04:32 PM   #17
Mart

Hary, this is the hole Bruce is talking about. Make sure it isn't blocked.

Mart.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:38 PM   #18
Mart

I started the video and realised I had the sound turned down on my computer. I turned it up and could hear the Who's "My generation". I thought, blimey, Hary, you could have turned the radio down before making the video. Then a voice said "BBC" and I thought I wonder how Hary is able to get the BBC down there.

Then I realised I had BBC radio2 open on another window on my computer but had forgotten about it.

Doh!

Mart.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:01 PM   #19
rotorwrench

It seems like the timing gear chamber gets some oil flow from the oil pressure bypass valve. There is also a plug behind the cam drive gear for the valve chamber feed tube that is supposed to stop the flow at the front and can be removed for clean out. They sometimes leak but most generally after an overhaul when the plug has been removed to clean out the tube and not reinstalled properly. It's normal to have oil in the timing gear chamber but is shouldn't be flooding. I've seen a few engines that had oil pouring out the front oil pan vent due to flooding in there.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:55 PM   #20
OLD...BILL

YES our flatheads do leak oil. some more than others, there is no cam seal per say... the front cam bearing feed oil the front main bearing and then the crank is filled with oil from the front main, and from the crank it feeds to rods, the center main is feed the same way from the cam to the main and to the rods ,...ALL under oil pressure.... each bearing in the system loses some oil at each point, and returned to the pan ,, ready to go again ... clear as mud, right... the timing gear is not feed... Henry was big on splash it is part of the splash system, and so is the disturber, yes that hole in the top of the bushing / bearing area you were ask the check for lose in the rear of the dist. is part of the splash system as are the water pumps oiled, in the timing gear area splash system .... I'am beginning the think you have to much PRESSURE in the crank case area, Have you put on a NEW oil fill cap ?? maybe a chrome one ?? OR ... a splash of mud, road tare, dead rodent ,,, and have plugged the vent, at the right front corner of the oil pan, its a small triangle shaped looking down, with a small vent hole to the back side ...should be clear, open or with steelwool in the opening ?? so it will vent ?? Maybe that"s where your squeal is coming from ?? sorry.. too much bla..bla....... OLD.....BILL
OLD...BILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:48 AM   #21
meric42

Hi Hary, I sent you a PM

Gotta love my '42 Sedan Delivery's - Now that I own the only two in New Zealand

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/album.php?albumid=580
meric42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:11 AM   #22
Terry,OH

The distributor shaft has an oil groove that while rotating the oil moves rearward and back to the engine, If the groove is blocked with caked dirt, the distributor main shaft is worn (0.8625 as Mfg. & 0.861 wear limit) or the bushing is worn (0.863 as Mfg. & 0.8655 wear limit) these could effect the ability of the groove to return the oil. Make sure the engine oil fill vent (at the top of the fuel pump adaptor) is clean, if excessive pressure builds up, in the engine, it will force oil out.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:17 AM   #23
Harylufa

Quote:

Mart.
Mart!
I found a picture when I assembled my motor. If you can see, probably that hole can be blocked with paint.

When I took the dist out, never noticed that hole I did not know that It existed.

I must check that

Thank Mart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg file012410.jpg (56.7 KB, 47 views)

Harylufa!
Old 08-14-2014, 10:20 AM   #24
Harylufa

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
It seems like the timing gear chamber gets some oil flow from the oil pressure bypass valve. There is also a plug behind the cam drive gear for the valve chamber feed tube that is supposed to stop the flow at the front and can be removed for clean out. They sometimes leak but most generally after an overhaul when the plug has been removed to clean out the tube and not reinstalled properly. It's normal to have oil in the timing gear chamber but is shouldn't be flooding. I've seen a few engines that had oil pouring out the front oil pan vent due to flooding in there.
Hi rotorwrech!

To check all you say must I take the intake manifold out?
Thank

Hary

Harylufa!
Old 08-14-2014, 10:36 AM   #25
Harylufa

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD...BILL View Post
YES our flatheads do leak oil. some more than others, there is no cam seal per say... the front cam bearing feed oil the front main bearing and then the crank is filled with oil from the front main, and from the crank it feeds to rods, the center main is feed the same way from the cam to the main and to the rods ,...ALL under oil pressure.... each bearing in the system loses some oil at each point, and returned to the pan ,, ready to go again ... clear as mud, right... the timing gear is not feed... Henry was big on splash it is part of the splash system, and so is the disturber, yes that hole in the top of the bushing / bearing area you were ask the check for lose in the rear of the dist. is part of the splash system as are the water pumps oiled, in the timing gear area splash system .... I'am beginning the think you have to much PRESSURE in the crank case area, Have you put on a NEW oil fill cap ?? maybe a chrome one ?? OR ... a splash of mud, road tare, dead rodent ,,, and have plugged the vent, at the right front corner of the oil pan, its a small triangle shaped looking down, with a small vent hole to the back side ...should be clear, open or with steelwool in the opening ?? so it will vent ?? Maybe that"s where your squeal is coming from ?? sorry.. too much bla..bla....... OLD.....BILL
Bill!

When the engine came from grinding shop, the man told me to use old oil, this was to wash the engine and afterwards change the old oil to a new one.
All what I say above happened two years ago.

I must check all you mention

OR ... a splash of mud, road tare, dead rodent ,,, and have plugged the vent, at the right front corner of the oil pan, its a small triangle shaped looking down, with a small vent hole to the back side ...should be clear, open or with steelwool in the opening ?? so it will vent ?? Maybe that"s where your squeal is coming from ??

I really thank your opinion

Harylufa!
Old 08-14-2014, 10:39 AM   #26
Harylufa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry,OH View Post
The distributor shaft has an oil groove that while rotating the oil moves rearward and back to the engine, If the groove is blocked with caked dirt, the distributor main shaft is worn (0.8625 as Mfg. & 0.861 wear limit) or the bushing is worn (0.863 as Mfg. & 0.8655 wear limit) these could effect the ability of the groove to return the oil. Make sure the engine oil fill vent (at the top of the fuel pump adaptor) is clean, if excessive pressure builds up, in the engine, it will force oil out.
Terry!

I will check what you say too.

Thank you

Harylufa!
Old 09-07-2014, 02:37 PM   #27
Harylufa

Quote:

Mart.
Dear Mart!
Today I could finally take the dist out. I found that the small hole was BLOCKED, very blocked that I needed a strong tool to clean it.
I changed dist gasket I assembled all again.
I said that there was a little noise, when I started the engine, noise begun but in a second it stopped. All this after have cleaned the small hole you show in pic.

I must drive my car to know if there is something strange.
What do you think?

I really thank all for your time and help.

Hary

Harylufa!
Old 09-28-2014, 06:51 PM   #28
Tony, NY

Well, I'm bringing this thread back because it is much of the same happening with my 1cm engine. This is a new build with only a few hours on it and about 2 miles on the AV8. I'm chasing a misfire and decided to pull the crab distr and check the inside. I have noticed an oil drip coming from the front but thought it was from the crankshaft. When I got the distr out I noticed oil collected inside and was dripping out where the cap went on. The oil was traveling through to the rotor. Pulled the rotor and inside was wet with oil and dripped down and out the cap. A few pics. To be cont.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010041.JPG (164.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg P1010038.JPG (155.9 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg P1010040.JPG (155.9 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg P1010043.JPG (166.9 KB, 35 views)
Tony, NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 06:57 PM   #29
Tony, NY

There are no plugged holes that I can see. The pressure buildup idea seams to be an answer, but there is a breather where fuel pump was. Also has a pcv valve setup. How is the oil getting to the inside? I see some brass filings in there too. Any ideas? No slop in the shaft/bushings.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:44 PM   #30
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Two thoughts...
1. Is shaft loose in rear bushing? I suspect that you didn't overlook that, but check it out.
2. More subtle, possibly related to that oil inside rotor...there is an internal feed there. Remove shaft, look for a TINY hole in area of front bushing. Oil finds its way into shaft back at rear bearing area, meanders though a passage filled with some sort of cloth/fiber, oils bushing up front through a pinhole. Obviously if working correctly oil delivery is very limited. I do not know if or how this system could go mad and somehow pass too much oil, but check it out. Maybe something weird involving that, which would give a reasonable explanation for some of your symptoms.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:01 PM   #31
Binx

To add to what Bruce said, remove the wick plug between the drive keys, clean the threads and reinstall with sealant. Make sure it is tight or stake it in place if necessary. Don't thread it in too far or it may get trapped inside the shaft.

Lonnie

Last edited by Binx; 09-28-2014 at 08:06 PM.
Binx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 08:47 PM   #32
BUBBAS IGNITION

And the small brass filings come from the rotor tip more than likely , we usually clearance the rotor a bit.
The oil is a mystery to me for sure assuming the bleed is open ..????????
Someone have a answer ??????????
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 09:08 PM   #33
Tony, NY

All visible holes are open. I'll do what was suggested. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010046.JPG (177.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg P1010048.JPG (169.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg P1010049.JPG (170.2 KB, 13 views)