Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-25-2013, 10:58 PM   #1
MrWzrd
BANNED

Default Info needed 7 tooth steering rebuild

Pulled the steering out of the car tonight as it had 8" of slop in it that was between the wheel and the pitman.

Once I had the box open on the bench it was quite obvious..... there was peanut butter in it instead of oil. Some kind of mangy brown stuff that was once probably grease filled most of the box but not a speck was to be found on any working surfaces. And... there is considerable wear on the worm and the sector gear faces.

Everything is disassembled and cleaned with the exception of the worm gear. The retainer clip is hiding in a recess in the worm gear and I suspect that the worm gear may be on the shaft backwards. (the other end of the worm gear does not have that recess)

BUT... I can not find anything on the forums or the web to indicate if it matters which way the gear is put on or which side of the thrust bearings should face the worm gear. (inner race or outer race?)

Can anyone help with this info? Thanks.
MrWzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:16 PM   #2
MrWzrd
BANNED

Default Re: Info needed 7 tooth steering rebuild

Here's a shot of the steering shaft looking at it from the bottom end. You can see the gap in the clip at the 6 oclock position. Note that it is in a recess and to remove it I will have to press the worm gear farther onto the shaft.

I don't think that is right and I would love it if a steering guru could confirm it.

Last edited by MrWzrd; 01-06-2014 at 08:12 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:52 AM   #3
Rowdy
BANNED

I use a piece of 1" pipe and tap the worm gear far enough to remove the retaining ring, then a longer piece of pipe to remove the worm gear. They usually come off without too much of a fight. Rod
Old 10-26-2013, 07:17 AM   #4
MrWzrd
BANNED

after getting some needed sleep it occurred to me that if the retaining clip were not recessed, the thrust bearing would be pressing on the clip instead of the worm gear face so, it looks like it was installed correctly.

I had already removed the old gear when I posted so, now that I know it's orientation I can reassemble. (after I finish cleaning all the grease out)
Old 10-26-2013, 08:19 PM   #5
MrWzrd
BANNED

Woot woot! From 8" to under 1" slop! And with 600w in the box it turns easier (easier being a relative term)
Old 10-27-2013, 11:43 AM   #6
Sparky

Nice job. Did you check the lower bushing while it was apart? If it's worn you can get an oversize replacement.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:19 PM   #7
MrWzrd
BANNED

I replaced all bushings, bearings, worm gear and sector gear.
the sector bushings were very worn. the sector shaft could wiggle.
I also found the the end play was screwed up because the oil seal retainer had been screwed in too far and was actually pushing the steering shaft up.