Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-01-2021, 11:58 AM   #1
KNicholas2

Default Windows won't roll up

The driver side window in my "31 Delux Coupe will roll down just fine, but it is tough to get it to roll up.

Before I dig into it, can someone forewarn me of the parts/mechanism that may be the culprit?
KNicholas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 12:01 PM   #2
CatMan1

Default Re: Windows won't roll up

Is the passenger side the same, also? My '28 is sort of the same way on both. I honestly feel it might be because it was probably always stored inside and maybe the previous owner just only ever drove it on nice days. Therefore they are just stiff. Maybe?
CatMan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 02:39 PM   #3
Oldbluoval

Few things….
As stated the regulator could be bad. The spring is on it to assist the up movement
The channels could be binding. Gravity helps going down but not up
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 03:06 PM   #4
nkaminar

The little roller at the end of the actuating arm that runs in the track at the bottom of the window is offset to one side. If the clearance in the window tracks is not right the window can cock in the tracks and not roll up. The clearance has to be 1/16 inch or less. The solution is to glue spacers to the back of one or both tracks. Cardboard is recommended for the spacers. You have to take the window out to access the tracks.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 11:01 AM   #5
KNicholas2

The passenger side works great. The issue is unique to the driver side.
KNicholas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 11:05 AM   #6
JayJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNicholas2 View Post
The passenger side works great. The issue is unique to the driver side.
I found the same issue in my Town Sedan, the driver door is problemmatic because the window is used more. Solution was to replace the felt tracks that the window rides in, wear in the tracks allows the window to get cattywhompus and bind. (I also had to replace the one regulator, there was a stripped tooth in the mechanism likely from trying to force it.)

If you want a short term kludge you might try spraying silicone lubricant on the tracks...if that helps, even for a short time, you've found your issue.

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 12:49 PM   #7
Ed in Maine

I have a restored 31 Victoria. Both windows crank up hard. Both windows have new soft channels. I finally got annoyed enough to find out what was going on. I removed the window trim and the door panels. I cleaned the window mechanism and greased the tracks on the bottom of the window and lubricated the gears. I sprayed silicone in the soft tracks. Still the window would come up about 2-3 in. and then get very hard crank up the rest of the way. Watching the window crank up I saw the window tilt to the right side and bury the glass tightly into the soft channel. The windup mechanism was tilting the window towards the channel rather than just lifting the glass straight up! I went to Home Depot and got some packing strapping that was used to hold items to a pallet. It is a 5/8 in. wide fiber glass type of material. I cut it so that it could be tucked into the soft window channel and stay in place, then sprayed silicone spray. Now when I crank up the window it will not bury itself into the soft felt but slide on the hard strapping strip It is not perfect but 80% better than it was before. Good luck, Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 01:50 PM   #8
nkaminar

Ed, glad you were able to fix the problem. Although cardboard is recommended, strapping tape would probably last longer. If you can fit it in without removing the tracks and gluing the spacer to the back of the tracks, all the better.

The little roller at the end of the actuating arm that runs in the track at the bottom of the window is offset to one side. If the clearance in the window tracks is not right the window can cock in the tracks and not roll up. The clearance has to be 1/16 inch or less. The solution is to glue spacers to the back of one or both tracks. Cardboard is recommended for the spacers. You have to take the window out to access the tracks.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 05:56 PM   #9
Oldgearz

I fixed mine on my Coupe by replacing the felt window channels. Works great now, as the window can not cock crooked on the way down.
Oldgearz is offline   Reply With Quote