Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-23-2016, 02:05 PM   #1
ian Simpson

Default 1928 Transmission Rebuild

I knew I was in trouble when I discovered the torque tube was overflowing with 600W oil.

It's a long story, but I now have the transmission from our 1928 Tudor in pieces on the bench.

Obviously someone else was in there before me as it was missing certain items such as gaskets, oil slingers (Snyders part #'s A-7040, A-7080-B), spacer (A-7063), as well as a few lock washers, etc.

I think I have everything I need, including new bearings and shafts, either on hand or on their way from various vendors.

What I still need is a good detailed general assembly diagram to determine the orientation and exact location of the missing components as I could not see them as originally installed. I have found a few by searching various internet sources, but the magic bullet has eluded me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 02:19 PM   #2
Bob C

Default Re: 1928 Transmission Rebuild

This link it to Tom Endy articles, just scroll down to transmissions.
http://www.santaanitaas.org/technica...tech-articles/

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 02:34 PM   #3
Tom Endy

If removed from a 28 car, check to see if the housing is in fact an early housing with machined bearing stops at both ends in the casting. The later housings have snap rings. Your missing oil baffles come in two different sizes at both ends. The housings with machined stops use a smaller diameter baffle at both ends. The later housings use a larger diameter baffle at both ends.

The suppliers only stock the larger diameter oil baffles. If you install the later larger baffles in an early housing with machined bearing stops it will jam the transmission.

Be sure to install the proper size baffles.

In the above referenced link there is an article under transmission that describes the baffles.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 02:53 PM   #4
ursus

Look in the current Bratton's catalog for an exploded diagram of the transmission. Also note Tom Endy's caveat regarding the oil baffles or slingers. The difference is well detailed in the Ford Factory Bulletins, especially with regard to the size dimensions of the early versus later parts. If you need any of the early types not available from the suppliers I may have some laying in my pile that I can mail to you. Any reduction in the size of my ferrous and ferric holdings is always a hit with the wife.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 05:51 PM   #5
ian Simpson

Bob C: Thanks for the reference. Very helpful.

Tom Endy: Thank you for pointing out the issue regarding early baffles, and thank you for the tech articles. I had referred to them in the past for other items, but completely forgot about using them for a transmission rebuild.

Ursus: Thank you for the Bratton's reference. I will print out the pictures for use at the bench. An especial thank you for your kind offer to supply the correct baffles. I will check with fellow club members first but will PM you if I still have a need.

Thanks everyone. This is what makes the barn worthwhile.
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote