Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-28-2016, 04:10 AM   #1
Gerryde

Default 1928-29 model A narrow pickup bed (rebuild )

Hi folks.The big job has begun the pickup bed that i have has had a very rough time dings and rust ,but it can be fixed with a bit of time.and a bit off help from the barn members that have allways been able to help me in the past ,and i thankyou all for that.The thing is both sides the bottoms are rusted out.the bottom angle plates that the side panels fit onto are also rusted out.Has any one have measurements as in depth and length or put me onto a reference book that may help. many thanks Gerry (NZ)
Gerryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:03 AM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: 1928-29 model A narrow pickup bed (rebuild )

Gerry,
How about a few pictures of what you need. All of the narrow beds were basically the same, I have a '31.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 12:16 PM   #3
Russ/40

It sounds like a pretty rough bed. Holes and dents can be handled relatively easily, but rust outs can be very challenging. What are your ultimate goals as to correctness? Fortunately, the gauge of the metal on those beds is very stout. Really depends on your skill level, and monetary limits. Repo panels are available, but I have never heard of any patch panels. Have you separated all the panel Pieces? I made all my own tools for the riveting required and would be happy to share what I did to solve the difficult problems. We can best advise you after seeing some good photos. I can make measurements for you. The most productive way to communicate your needs is to start a Photobucket account. Take a lot of photo's, put them on the photo hosting site with arrows and other markings to define what you need. I have done this with others on projects and it works very efficiently. PM me if you want to start a dialog.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 04:35 PM   #4
dixieflyer29

I think a few years back in early ford barn someone did a complete brake down with pictures on exactly what you are trying to do .If you get the information let us know I never made coppies
dixieflyer29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 04:42 PM   #5
larry harding

my 2 cents worth on bed repair... my bed was a real mess. i'm not going for a show restoration, just a nice driver. a friend gave me a pair of sides that were better than mine at the top but the lower curved part was shot. i took some 20 gauge cut the length the length of the bed sides and clamped them to a table with a large piece of pvc and hand rolled a decent curve then lap welded the pieces to the good part of the sides then riveted the rest of the way. i got a new u channel from brookville (best price on this part. the fenders hide most of the repair on the out side, a little filler made the inside look decent. it is not a show winner, but i didn't shell out $1500.00 + - for a repop.
larry harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:02 PM   #6
Charlie Stephens

Do you know about Mack Products for truck parts? (660) 263-7444

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 04:09 AM   #7
Gerryde

Hi Folks thank you for all your answers and advice i will get some photos and you can see what i have got. It will be in a few days time as iam helping my son shift house. Many thanks will be back. Cheers Gerry (NZ)
Gerryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 01:11 AM   #8
Brentwood Bob

I think the Restorer published Doug Cox writeup on the restoration of his pickup bed.
I might have it in a file. That was without dimensions.
Bob
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote