Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-28-2014, 11:21 PM   #1
ian Simpson

Default Steering Clamp Removal

When I bought my Model A, the steering column anti-rattler in the steering column clamp was missing. That this made the steering a little bit vague would be an understatement. As a temporary fix I was able to force a strip of rubber into the space.

Over this past non-driving season (winter) I attempted to do a proper repair job but was stymied by stubborn screws in the clamp. I have no problem using impact screwdrivers or heat in this sort of situation, however the proximity of the gas tank and the fact the clamp is riveted to it made me hesitate.

Does anyone have some advice in removing stubborn screws from the steering clamp?
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:51 PM   #2
ford3

Default Re: Steering Clamp Removal

you do not want to use any type of flame in that area i have had to drill the heads off the screws to remove the clamps, once the head is gone and you can then pull the clamp off, then use penetrating oil ( 50-50 mix of acetone and auto trans fluid) to loosen the bolt stud , then use a small pipe wrench, water pump plyers, or vice grips be careful have patience, if you break off whats left of the bolt you will have to pull the gas tank in order to remove the bolt, if the bolt breaks off in the tank bracket easy outs wont do you any good
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:57 PM   #3
ford3

when you get the bracket of the colum I would suggest you go to the later model steering bracket, it bolts to the bottom of the dash and doesn't put any strain on the bracket at the tank, this bracket will stop fuel leaks inside the cab
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 04:01 PM   #4
ian Simpson

Thank you.

I will be careful and also fit the newer style clamp.
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 04:54 PM   #5
Joe K

If you're wont to install the newer type clamp - why not just get a sawsall and cut the original bracket off neat like. Like they would have done 'in the day?'

You don't want (and likely have not planned) to have both clamps together. This is asking for an "over-restraint" condition which may force failure of the riveted tank attachment.

And if the older bracket is non-functional - just cut it off and be done with it.

Joe K
Old 05-30-2014, 09:56 PM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

Most people just remove the rubber from the tank bracket when they install the dash bracket, and that's what they did on my 29 Tudor. I'm really glad they didn't cut the tank bracket because when I restore the car I will use it again.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote