Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-29-2019, 09:28 PM   #21
updraught

Default Re: Model "A" Cars vs. Their Successors

The V8 wasn't designed for driving down a creek bed with the hand throttle set just off idle.

"the major car companies back then were sincerely interested in improving their product for the benefit of the customer"

These days the car companies get away with what they can. Went to check the oil on the dip stick of the wife's Subaru a few days ago. No oil at all on the dip stick. Seems several manufacturers in the last 10 years are using low tension rings and zero grade oil for fuel saving. They will use oil. If the rings happen to lose enough tension the engine can run out of oil and blow up, especially with the other selling point of 12 month servicing. The car companies will throw everything at anyone who complains to keep them quiet.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 10:21 PM   #22
mhsprecher

Cars these days are pretty bulletproof. My 2013 Focus has over 90K miles and has only needed a brake job and tires. It is a manual transmission. I understand the automatics in those cars have been troublesome. Cars nowadays get over 200k miles without even trying.
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 10:26 PM   #23
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by updraught View Post
The V8 wasn't designed for driving down a creek bed with the hand throttle set just off idle.

"the major car companies back then were sincerely interested in improving their product for the benefit of the customer"

These days the car companies get away with what they can. Went to check the oil on the dip stick of the wife's Subaru a few days ago. No oil at all on the dip stick. Seems several manufacturers in the last 10 years are using low tension rings and zero grade oil for fuel saving. They will use oil. If the rings happen to lose enough tension the engine can run out of oil and blow up, especially with the other selling point of 12 month servicing. The car companies will throw everything at anyone who complains to keep them quiet.
"No oil at all on the dip stick."? Did you hear about the highly educated college grad who went to the parts store and requested a longer dipstick? The counterman asked "why?" The college guy said "Because this one doesn't touch the oil anymore!"
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 10:36 PM   #24
Clem Clement

To me the Model as is such fun to be in and work on. A day of banging on Ford tin is so stress relieving.

But as the world demand more and requires "A better car," things get complicating. Also rules of the road change. Think pollution, traffic, safety, comfort, weight and size. Then the perfect car is built and nobody likes a Henry J/ Edsel/tucker/Pinto! I love my beater 39 Ford Peecup. I can work on it ad I understand it. Keep on buying Milford!!
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 09:36 AM   #25
Chris in WNC

starting in 1986 I had 5 different Model As and drove then 50-60,000 miles total.
still love them and 7 years after selling our 31 Town Sedan we still wish we had not let it go.
have not had any later 30s Fords but did have a 37 Plymouth for many years and currently a 35 Chevy.
the driving experience is a remarkable improvement with the later cars.......
Old 12-30-2019, 01:36 PM   #26
Jim Brierley

As a baby I rode home from the hospital in a Std. B coupe, but honestly I don't remember that drive very well! The folks had that B until '44. sold it for $400, only $100 less than they paid for it! More recently I've had 2 friends with B's, one a stock Std. coupe, the other a fordor with Cragar power. Both rode much better and were quieter than a Model A. The stock coupe would run 55 on the freeway with no problem although I didn't think he should be running it that fast. I was never in the fordor while on the freeway, but it too was quiet and comfortable on rural roads. The 32's not only had a longer wheelbase but the "spring-base" was even longer, thus improving the ride the motor mounted in rubber, one of the things adding to the quietness factor.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 03:24 PM   #27
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corley View Post
Some might call you an oxymoron. That being, how could you drive only Fords and be a car guy??? Impossible!

(Said with my tung in cheek...)
Yowsa that's funny
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 03:31 PM   #28
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by updraught View Post

updraught check out the Class Action Lawsuit they have going over here against Subaru and their BAD engines. I don't know if it will help you over in N.Z.. but may be worth looking into.

A lady friend of ours bought a new Subaru in 2016 and the motor crapped out at 30,000 miles, due to what you just said. Evidently they really loosened up the tolerances to try to get better fuel mileage out of them. They suck oil like mad and that boxer engine design they run was proven to be junk by German engineers in about 1932 when they developed it and then abandoned it. VW picked it up later for the Beetle, also not known for engine longevity.

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-...on-settlement/
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 07:24 PM   #29
fried okra

Location: Daniel Island,SouthCarolina/Knoxville, Tennessee/Sanibel Island,Florida

My wife's Mercedes SUV had the transmission go out at 48,000 miles. Tough luck said Mercedes, you are past the 4 year warranty period. The old 5 speed automatic trans in Mercedes were smooth and never had one fail on me. The new 7 speed trans with lock up torque convertor seem to be designed to get just a tad better mileage, and good luck if they make it thru the warranty.

That's why I bought a Nissan Frontier pickup with 5 speed auto. None of these 7,8,9 speed automatics for me any more.
fried okra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 11:48 PM   #30
updraught

Don't want to hijack this thread ...
However, Jeff the Subaru took 1.5 litres of oil. It is due for a service and I think this is classed as normal. I've been thru this with a relative with an Audi A4 using heaps of oil. There was a class action in the US and Europe, tho not here. Anyway, I tutored up him up on what to say and Audi payed for %90 of a rebuild. At the time I didn't realize this was a problem across brands. Subaru is very popular here, I think it is one of their best markets.
A friend has a Toyota Prado diesel, the engine blew up. Turns out there was a recall in the US and Europe, but not here. Diesel leaks into the oil turning it to glue. They, not Toyota, had to pay for a new engine, about $15,000.
As for that Mercedes trans, looks like there is a lawsuit on that one too.
This is one for the non delicate viewers on mercs, he is an engineer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAgY...ature=youtu.be
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 12:03 AM   #31
Pmsqrd

I had the pleasure of driving a low mileage untouched 32 B Tudor. My what a step up in all regards. It is more than a warmed over A. However I will keep my slant window with the more challenging driving experience and quirky charm.
Pmsqrd is offline   Reply With Quote