Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-10-2013, 07:15 PM   #1
Hster

Default Wishbone alignment

Another newbe, I bought a 1930 A pickup a few months ago. It has given me great fun and a good deal of frustration. I've wanted a Model A since I drove a friends in high school in the mid 60's. I saw this truck and just couldn't resist, so I blindly jumped in with both feet.
I drove semi's for work so the trans wasn't a problem, and the brakes weren't to scary but the death wobble was an eye opener. The spark advance, and GAV
were a bit mystifying.
The previous owner had passed away so the truck sat for a few years, But I got it going and drove it before I bought it. The death wobble didn't happen on the test drive so it was a scary, disappointing event on the drive home. With some research including this Forum (Thank You) I was able to eliminate the problem.
King pins, new steering arm balls, rebuilt drag link/tie rod ends, spring perches, and a shortened pitman arm. A little toe in and presto no more wobble.
So, here's my problem, after all of this work I had difficulty bolting up the ball on the wishbone. It is about 1/2~3/4" aft of the socket. I used a couple of nylon straps off of the front bumper brackets to pull the ball in alignment. I don't think this is right and there might be some issue with the front springs.
I have not seen any posts about this. Is this normal?
Now all I need is to be able to drive down the road and not move the steering wheel like I'm in some 30's movie. I have found someone to rebuild the box so that issue is hopefully addressed.
There is the issue of the leaking water pump throwing water and grease in the engine compartment. I tried greasing and tightening the seal but I still had a leak. I bought a leak less pump. I removed the radiator and saw a leak from a crack in the water jacket above the timing gear housing. Great so now I pull the motor. I thought I would split it at the bell housing no problem until mounts were so tight I had to pry the motor out of the frame (I think this is to be expected) but now I thinking that to put the motor back I am going to have problems lining up the trans and mounts and prying the motor back in place. So I remove the trans thinking aligning a u-joint has to be easier. Now here's an issue the u-joint housing has an internal cup that comes off with the housing. This cup has many small flat spots or dents and I think it should be smooth.
Is this normal? Is this a problem?
Thanks for any thoughts, opinions Herb
Hster is offline   Reply With Quote