Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-05-2020, 08:08 PM   #41
52flthed

Default Re: Overdrive Transmission in a 1952 F1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross F-1 View Post
I bought an OD trans at a swap meet, and after measuring it up, sold it. I can't say I've ever seen a successful transplant, but I have heard changing the crossmember to an F-2/3 type gives the clearance. Not sure what else is required, and the F-2/3 crossmember normally mounts further back than the F-1 type. Honestly I doubt it will work in the F-1 position. The bottom line is, it's less work to install a T5.
Ive been strongly advised not to attempt an OD in my truck. Its very very expensive and it radially alters the truck. If keeping it stock means anything to you. I would think about a different ratio gearing but I'm actually quite content living with and driving the truck as it was originally built, bias ply, 6 v and all the other so called "annoyances". I like slowing down, relaxing, driving this truck on the back roads on the weekend is what its all about for me. Im on the freeway doing 80 plus all week long. LOL. The point of the truck is it take you back in time and take you to places you might not otherwise expect to go. Learn to live slow is the advice I've taken from ownership of this truck.
52flthed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 08:27 PM   #42
Pdstark

Smile Re: Overdrive Transmission in a 1952 F1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52flthed View Post
Ive been strongly advised not to attempt an OD in my truck. Its very very expensive and it radially alters the truck. If keeping it stock means anything to you. I would think about a different ratio gearing but I'm actually quite content living with and driving the truck as it was originally built, bias ply, 6 v and all the other so called "annoyances". I like slowing down, relaxing, driving this truck on the back roads on the weekend is what its all about for me. Im on the freeway doing 80 plus all week long. LOL. The point of the truck is it take you back in time and take you to places you might not otherwise expect to go. Learn to live slow is the advice I've taken from ownership of this truck.
Well said 52flthed - Driving the back roads in my stock 1951 F1 flathead v8 is a perfect back-to-the-future, relaxing, slow down type of experience.
Pdstark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 11:33 PM   #43
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52flthed View Post

Where did you get such unfounded advice?? I doubt it was from anyone who owns an overdrive equipped vehicle! I would suggest that you find someone who has an overdrive equipped vehicle and go for a ride. It doesn't have to be a Ford pickup. There were many cars with overdrive in the late '40's and through the '50's. You will see how much flexibility and driving pleasure it adds!

Installing an overdrive transmission does not radically alter the vehicle! The only visible differences are a small relay on the firewall, a control cable under the dash, a kickdown switch hidden under the gas pedal and some inconspicuous wiring. The crossmember may or may not need altering, but who will notice?
I think that when a person wants some how-to advice, we should offer that advice (only if qualified) instead of going off on a Negative Nancy rant with our own personal (often unfounded) personal opinion!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 12:22 PM   #44
Ross F-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post

Installing an overdrive transmission does not radically alter the vehicle! The only visible differences are a small relay on the firewall, a control cable under the dash, a kickdown switch hidden under the gas pedal and some inconspicuous wiring. The crossmember may or may not need altering, but who will notice?
I think that when a person wants some how-to advice, we should offer that advice (only if qualified) instead of going off on a Negative Nancy rant with our own personal (often unfounded) personal opinion!
On the other hand, you are encouraging him solely because the OD is "nice", without any regard for the MAJOR fabrication needed to install it. Pics below are typical mods needed to install a T5 in an F-1, which is a narrower and shorter transmission than the OD. That crossmember is the major structural element of the frame, and supports the brake and clutch pedals among other things. The entire center section needs to be removed, best done with the cab off the truck or even on the bare frame so nothing gets out of alignment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00261.jpg (66.9 KB, 48 views)
Old 11-07-2020, 01:50 PM   #45
1948F-1Pickup

If I were going to do this (OD or T-5) I'd mod the factory cross member by leaving roughly the left "half" of the cross member in place.... because of all the stuff mounted to it that really should
stay in that location. I'd completely remove the right side "1/2."
I'd install a second cross member to deal with the transmission tailshaft mount and to tie into the 1/2 OE cross member remaining on the left side, to provide structural integrity for it.
That's how you skin that cat.
1948F-1Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 02:48 PM   #46
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1948F-1Pickup View Post
If I were going to do this (OD or T-5) I'd mod the factory cross member by leaving roughly the left "half" of the cross member in place.... because of all the stuff mounted to it that really should
stay in that location. I'd completely remove the right side "1/2."
I'd install a second cross member to deal with the transmission tailshaft mount and to tie into the 1/2 OE cross member remaining on the left side, to provide structural integrity for it.
That's how you skin that cat.

Right. It's not exactly rocket science! Well, it might be for some. My point is, If we want overdrive and ask for how-to ideas, there's no need for naysayers to put us down. If they don't want overdrive, (or T-5, or power brakes, etc.) that's fine for them. Or if they don't have any fabrication skills, it doesn't mean that everyone else lacks such skills.
Someone who's "been there, done that" is a good source for what works or does not work. Someone who has "never been there, never done that" is not likely a reliable source of helpful information!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 03:22 PM   #47
Eagle43

I'm in the process of fitting in the R10 overdrive. I've puzzled over how to proceed for a day or two and followed this discussion with interest and I've come to the conclusion that "simple" is best in this case. I'm simply moving the crossmember back a few inches so that the transmission mount fits in front of the crossmember. I only need to bolt a piece of angle iron on the front of the cross member for the mount to sit on. I will reinstall the left part of my old destroyed cross member back in its proper place for the master cylinder and pedal assembly to bolt on to. My cost for this installation will be close to zero except for the bolts and the rubber motor mounts, solenoid seal and rear seal I have on order from Rock Auto. There will be no modifications to the cross member other than a few bolt holes so its structural integrity is intact. I'm still trying to find a 16 spline slip yoke to connect to the drive shaft and this will determine exactly where the cross member will be installed. I may have to cheat a bit and move the motor forward a half an inch or so since I don't want to have to shorten my driveshaft. Regarding total expense - I paid $800 for the transmission. It came with the bellhousing and solenoid. I still need a side shift steering column. If I went for the regular floor shift transmission I would need to find a shifter and regular steering column.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 03:35 PM   #48
1948F-1Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43 View Post
I'm simply moving the crossmember back a few inches so that the transmission mount fits in front of the crossmember. I only need to bolt a piece of angle iron on the front of the cross member for the mount to sit on. I will reinstall the left part of my old destroyed cross member back in its proper place for the master cylinder and pedal assembly to bolt on to.
Exactly. Now you're cooking.
Old 11-07-2020, 03:51 PM   #49
Bob C

Here's a 1949 Mercury OD that was converted to top shift, it can be done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 49-Merc5.jpg (95.1 KB, 69 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 06:40 PM   #50
1948F-1Pickup

That's quite a bit of ingenuity....
Old 11-07-2020, 07:39 PM   #51
Eagle43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43 View Post
I'm simply moving the crossmember back a few inches so that the transmission mount fits in front of the crossmember. I only need to bolt a piece of angle iron on the front of the cross member for the mount to sit on. I will reinstall the left part of my old destroyed cross member back in its proper place for the master cylinder and pedal assembly to bolt on to. My cost for this installation will be close to zero except for the bolts and the rubber motor mounts, solenoid seal and rear seal I have on order from Rock Auto. There will be no modifications to the cross member other than a few bolt holes so its structural integrity is intact. I'm still trying to find a 16 spline slip yoke to connect to the drive shaft and this will determine exactly where the cross member will be installed.
Here are a few pictures. I see no reason why this wouldn't work. No interference with the solenoid or anything else.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20201107_134836_2a.jpg (29.4 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20201107_134941_6a.jpg (53.9 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20201107_135021_0a.jpg (70.8 KB, 72 views)
Old 11-09-2020, 01:03 PM   #52
Eagle43

A couple of related questions for the experts as I get ready to bolt everything in place. How much space should I allow between the slip yoke and the back end of the transmission? In other words how much does the slip yoke need to move back and forth on the spline when driving? Also is the optimal angle that the motor sits determined when the top of the carburetor is level or does this matter?
Old 11-09-2020, 02:18 PM   #53
Ross F-1

Stock F-1 engine angle is 3° down at the rear, which puts the carb level.

Do you know your new driveshaft length yet? B_Man_Al and I have done a lot of study on how much the yoke moves on the splines as the rear axle moves up/down, but for stock driveshafts. From resting position, we figure 3/8" inward movement, 3/8" to 1/2" outward. With a shorter driveshaft movement will be more.
Old 11-09-2020, 06:53 PM   #54
rotorwrench

It boils down the movement in service and the ability to disengage the rear U-joint from the drive flange on the differential. If a person has to fab up a drive shaft, I'd go for the best possible engagement with spline with 3/4" to 1" of total slip without bottoming out. 1 3/4" to 2" of engagement should work but I'd look for as much as I could get and still be safe.
rotorwrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 07:45 PM   #55
Ross F-1

B_Man_Al made this drawing of the stock setup
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 48 Drive Shaft Yoke_TX_barn.jpg (47.1 KB, 25 views)
Old 11-09-2020, 07:51 PM   #56
52flthed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Where did you get such unfounded advice?? I doubt it was from anyone who owns an overdrive equipped vehicle! I would suggest that you find someone who has an overdrive equipped vehicle and go for a ride. It doesn't have to be a Ford pickup. There were many cars with overdrive in the late '40's and through the '50's. You will see how much flexibility and driving pleasure it adds!

As Ross describes below. Pretty awful alteration for a pick up and expensive too. As to who advised me? Well only the this country's premier and foremost expert on Ford Trucks of this vintage is all! Just a regular "no-body" LOL!! Personal opinions is all Im writing down here, nothing more Mr. 40 Delux.
52flthed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 08:08 PM   #57
3twinridges

Lots of good stuff on here about this conversion. Another option to get a little more speed is putting a 3.54 R&P in the Dana 44. It will get you a few more mph. That option isn’t cheap either though.

JB
3twinridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 10:10 PM   #58
Eagle43

I finally finished installing the motor and R10 overdrive. I had some difficulty finding a 16 spline yoke but found a new Powerglide one last week. It fits perfectly and the drive shaft turned out to be the correct length also and is in place with new u-joints. I still need to find a side shift steering column but I think I have a lead on one about two hours away. Any ideas as to what I should expect to pay for a steering column without a steering wheel? I also need to still find a clutch pedal.

The brake MC is attached to the crossmember which is mounted 3.5" back but will need a rod extension to reach the brake pedal. The clutch/brake assembly will attach to the short section of crossmember which is in the original position. There is plenty of space for the solenoid.

Tomorrow I plan to start replacing the king pins, the brake shoes, brake lines and hoses and shocks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20201123_185443_5a.jpg (120.2 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20201123_185511_1a.jpg (113.3 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20201123_184255_9aa.jpg (147.0 KB, 37 views)
Old 11-23-2020, 10:35 PM   #59
Bob C

I put a side shift in my F2 and just used part number 3509 from a 1950 car and
installed it on the pickup steering gear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flathead_SteeringGear_1949-50car.jpg (45.1 KB, 18 views)
Old 11-23-2020, 10:36 PM   #60
Bob C

double post