Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-08-2015, 10:53 AM   #21
Ed in Maine

Default Re: Need Pro's & Con's On The F-100 Steering Box

If you have a 2-tooth sector that is just fine (1/2 in. play) & no leaks, is the handling that much better to justify changing it out? Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:40 PM   #22
Tom Wesenberg

I find a good original or rebuilt original box steers fine, but if you want even easier steering, then the shorter pitman arm will give it to you, and is an easy swap. Yes, it will also make the F-100 box even easier, if it fits.

If you want REALLY easy steering, then you need to buy a 1950 Studebaker Champion. My car feels like power steering on ice.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:48 PM   #23
John Duden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I find a good original or rebuilt original box steers fine, but if you want even easier steering, then the shorter pitman arm will give it to you, and is an easy swap. Yes, it will also make the F-100 box even easier, if it fits.

If you want REALLY easy steering, then you need to buy a 1950 Studebaker Champion. My car feels like power steering on ice.
or a rusted away ford falcon! they didnt weigh much new!
John Duden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 04:07 PM   #24
CarlG

Depends on who is building the units. Some have an all new one piece shaft, others weld them.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 05:48 PM   #25
Art Bjornestad

A quick reminder, the bolts holding the side plate on my f100 box loosened and the car started to wander.....a lot. be sure to check them or better yet, use some red stuff on them.
Art Bjornestad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:29 PM   #26
CarlG

Mine is one of his older ones (~5 years) that is welded. He now makes them with an all new one piece shaft. On a '31 you don't have to "take it apart" to check the weld.
Model A Restorers Club
Mullins Owner's Club
Old 01-08-2015, 07:56 PM   #27
Mel Gross

We have sold hundreds of these boxes over the past 25 years. We do not promote the replacement of the original boxes unless the person wants to make their vehicle steer easier or do not want to go thru the process of rebuilding or getting their existing box rebuilt. The original 2 tooth and 7 tooth boxes have a 11 to 1 ratio where as the F100 box has a 17 to 1 ratio.

We also sell reballed original length pitman arms and also sell new short pitman arms. We would have to say that the long arm versus short arm controversy is still up in the air. This is because of the fact that once that one of our boxes is installed, the person gets immediate results and is happy without going any further and trying a short arm.

We would be glad to answer all questions or even send a copy of the article written up in the "Model A Times" publication about our steering boxes via email. You can also call us. We can be reached at [email protected] or 714-292-8660. Thanks Randy Gross
Mel Gross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 08:42 AM   #28
Ron Lachniet

I welded mine when I did it and it has a large weld surface around the shaft so it is very easy to get a strong weld. It is also a shaft that doesn't get that much pressure. If your steering were hard enough to break that weld you would have a real steering issue. If you think you need more strength you can also machine a sleeve to fit over the shaft and get more weld surface and also help with alignment. I also have a shortened pitman arm but I had that before I changed boxes so I don't know how much affect it has. I will say that my car feels like power steering with the F100 box.
Ron Lachniet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 09:52 AM   #29
JohnLaVoy

Several years ago, when ez steer came out, I wanted to compare it to the F100 box that was being offered. I got mine from Mel Gross and installed it in the sedan. I have driven many thousands of miles with an original box and never felt a need to change only did it for the article I was working on. OK with all of that the box fit and works great. I enjoy it and it works so well it is still in the car....the ez steer long gone! The one point if you plan on using original a total mechanical restoration needs to be done to make work efficiently.

I have met and done business with Randy Gross he is great to do business with I'm sure you will be happy with getting one from him.
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 10:20 AM   #30
gwhite

Another option (and old hot rodder's trick) is the late 33-4 box; 15:1 ratio and is easily adapted to the A chassis by using the A sector housing. Length is 42", (about 1-2" shorter than the A shaft) so it'll buy you some room when/if the "middle age" spread kicks in

The A steering mast could also be adapted pretty easily (you'd just need to bush the A mast to fit the smaller 33-34 upper race cover).
gwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 10:30 AM   #31
denis4x4

I have two of Mel's F-100 boxes. One of my cars uses the shortened pitman arm and I don't think that it really makes that much difference with the F-100 box like it does with the stock A steering box.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:33 AM   #32
Mel Gross

We have sold hundreds of these boxes over the past 25 years. We do not promote the replacement of the original boxes unless the person wants to make their vehicle steer easier or do not want to go thru the process of rebuilding or getting their existing box rebuilt. The original 2 tooth and 7 tooth boxes have a 11 to 1 ratio where as the F100 box has a 17 to 1 ratio.

Our shafts are a two piece design. They are not just weld but, the upper shaft and lower stub shaft are tap and die and then threaded together and adjusted to the proper length. Then they are V blocked and checked for run out. Then they are welded completely around the joint and also have two pin welds. After this process is done, they are rechecked on a lathe for run out and checked to make sure a horn rod will go thru the whole completed shaft. We have never ever had one come apart.

We also sell reballed original length pitman arms and also sell new short pitman arms. We would have to say that the long arm versus short arm controversy is still up in the air. This is because of the fact that once that one of our boxes is installed, the person gets immediate results and is happy without going any further and trying a short arm.

We would be glad to answer all questions or even send a copy of the article written up in the "Model A Times" publication about our steering boxes via email. You can also call us. We can be reached at [email protected] or 714-292-8660. Thanks Randy Gross
Mel Gross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 10:53 AM   #33
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLaVoy View Post
Several years ago, when ez steer came out, ....the ez steer long gone! ...
Take it from those of us that have tried it, do not ever fall for that EZ-Steer POS. If you absolutely have to have one, I have one that I'll be glad to part with. Cheap.
Model A Restorers Club
Mullins Owner's Club
Old 01-09-2015, 05:30 PM   #34
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
Take it from those of us that have tried it, do not ever fall for that EZ-Steer POS. If you absolutely have to have one, I have one that I'll be glad to part with. Cheap.
I'm taking it your referring to this EZ Steer? http://www.ezsteer.net/ezsteer-28-31 not this EZ Steer http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/486?

I have the one from Snyder's installed along with the shortened Pitman and My TS steers fantastic.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 05:43 PM   #35
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
I'm taking it your referring to this EZ Steer? http://www.ezsteer.net/ezsteer-28-31 not this EZ Steer http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/486?

I have the one from Snyder's installed along with the shortened Pitman and My TS steers fantastic.
Ya, the Snyder's ez is just the Teflon pieces for the drag link and tie rod. (Which I have and work great)

I was referring to the complete steering box from John Korval. His idea was fantastic, it just didn't work. Kind of an expensive experience (for me, anyway).
Model A Restorers Club
Mullins Owner's Club
Old 01-11-2015, 03:50 PM   #36
Harley03joe

Smile Re: Need Pro's & Con's On The F-100 Steering Box

Well Thank You Folks For All The Good Write ups & Feed Backs
I'LL Be Getting My F-100 Box From Randy Gross >>> Son of Mel & Jackie Gross

Ok Job Is Now Done 5 Stars ***** To Randy He's One Great Guy To Deal With

Thumb's Up To Randy, Thank You Randy Joe In Sunny South Florida

Thank You All Again
Harley03joe

Last edited by Harley03joe; 01-25-2015 at 01:32 PM.
Harley03joe is offline   Reply With Quote