Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-26-2019, 11:51 AM   #1
daltonathomas94

Default '37 Model 77 under bed wood risers

I am looking to replace the wood that raises the bed off of the frame of a model 77 flatbed. The termites have been feasting. I can make patterns off the original, but does anyone happen to know the original specs?
ie. Species of wood, paint vs body color, method of lamination (any pegs or anything linking them up, glue or just stacked and bolted?)

Also pertaining to the bed itself, did it have skid strips and what species that might have been. Currently just has T1-11 ply on it.

I'm a stickler for originality and would like to eventually bring this truck back to "as left the factory, but used as a work truck for a few years"

Any (constructive) input is appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
daltonathomas94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 11:53 AM   #2
daltonathomas94

Default Re: '37 Model 77 under bed wood risers

Although it would be neat to have varnished plain wood....

Old 08-26-2019, 05:13 PM   #3
37 truck

My wood rails appear to be maple, at least a dense closed cell wood, not oak or ash. They appear laminated, but I don't know about dowels, definitely not bolted. The wood deck has metal strips between the wood. The wood on mine was fir, but could have been replaced at some time. The wood rails were painted body color, a green in my case. My rails are still in good shape with only a little decay.

Last edited by 37 truck; 08-27-2019 at 11:19 AM. Reason: spelling
37 truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 06:13 PM   #4
daltonathomas94

That is perfect. Thank you. As for bolted I should have said "between the bed and frame with the long U bolts."

I did hear once that Ford used yellow pine for almost all of the wood since that was the bulk of Henry's private timber tract and the bed wood would have been Creosoted for preservation. (Makes sense to me since trucks where considered more utilitarian than in modern times, beauty was just a side effect) Anyone know when that might have stopped?

If creosote I'll probably just use DF since it's cheaper than anything else in the lumber yard I work at.

Also any source for the metal strips? The bed is 7 ft. And I haven't been around any other (stock) pickups to see if they are shorter.

Old 08-27-2019, 10:42 AM   #5
Model51

Ford used a variety of wood species for 1930's truck beds and with a few exceptions were painted body color. The body color paint was applied to the bed rails, bed wood and all components.
There are several very nicely restored trucks just like yours done just as they rolled off the assembly line so finding one of the owners would be a good way to get information to help you. Also, the Benson Ford Research Library in Dearborn, Michigan has a collection of drawings which provide the definitive information on the parts and peices for your truck. I have been there several times and gained lots of great information.
I'm happy to share what i know and send you some images of trucks like yours so send me a note directly as I don't look at this forum very often. Dave: [email protected]
Model51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 10:44 AM   #6
37 truck

You should check out Bruce Horkey, www.horkeyswoodandparts.com , They have strips in many lengths, good guy.
37 truck is offline   Reply With Quote