Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-02-2020, 04:01 PM   #1
Scavenger One

Default A forgotten in plain site 1936 Model 51

Hello and thank you to the admins for approving my request to join the group.
My name is Jeff and I am sure that my story is similar to many others. I was recently given the opportunity to save a 1936 Ford Model 51 that once belonged to my wife's Grandfather who passed away about a decade ago. Now how this truck came to be parked under an old oak and surrounded by young pine trees here in Northern Virginia leads to many different answers depending on the family member that you are talking to at the time. “He hauled it home from Washington D.C”…..” He Got it from a farmer over in Maryland”…. “His buddy asked him if he could park it there for a little while”…..
Regardless of which version of the “Story” you hear, one thing is consistent, “It has been sitting right there in that spot for the past 40 or 50 years”.
So after getting the ok to pull it out of it’s resting spot, the clearing of old boats, lawnmowers, and the cutting of trees began. The exterior door handles were frozen solid so I finally gave in and removed the glass from the passenger door and was able to open both doors from the inside. (Whew! The smell of really really old gasoline hit me like a brick wall) The key was still in the ignition but again the lock was frozen in place. Lucky someone in the past had replaced the plug that retains the lock cylinder in place with a bolt and removing the bolt allowed me to remove the lock cylinder. Once I jacked the front wheels up out of the ground that they had sunk down into after all those years, I was able to turn the steering wheel to straighten the front wheel right up and she was ready to be pulled out.
A few weekends later I coordinated with a friend who was willing to haul it home for me.
Unfortunately, both axles were frozen so none of the wheels would rotate at first. The front wheels eventually came free but the rears fought us the whole way onto the trailer like it thought it was being taken to the big metal crusher in the sky. It ended up taking us 2 ½ hours, 2 trucks, a 10,000 lbs winch, and a couple of snatch blocks, but we finally got it up on the trailer. It came off the trailer at it’s new home a whole lot easier.
So, this is where I tell you that I am new to the antique 1936 ford world and I am sure I will be asking lots of rookie questions. I have learned a lot from y’all already by just reading through old posts and taking lots of notes.
The truck is rough, has some rust issues of course but is actually more solid than I was expecting. It's going to be a lot of work but overall it looks to all be there. (I removed the floor pans, driver side long extension mirror, drivers side fender mounted horn, and seat bottom prior to transport) I was able to find all of the stake bed posts and a few of the brackets that connect them together as well. ( I am going back with a metal detector to see if anymore of the brackets are still in the dirt where the truck had been parked)
So the 10,000 foot overall plan at this time is to just get it mechanically sound so that it is safe to drive or atleast move under its own power. Paint and body are last on the list except for what has to be done for safety reasons. First things first though, just it being able to roll would be a huge accomplishment. Getting the transmission out of gear ( or at least disconnected) and some wheels & tires that will hold air ( just inexpensive rollers for right now, they don't have to be street worthy yet) and anything else needed to help it roll easier is first on the list.
If you have looked at the attached pictures, I am sure that many of you have noticed the yellow paint peeking through here and there and on the inside the cab. And while very hard to read, the passenger side panel on the stake body does in fact read “The 1936 Ford V8 Truck, Test This Truck With Your Own Load”. I found this by accident with my LED flashlight the night that I got the truck home.The LED light helped the letters to stand out against the remnants of paint and rust. ( I can only barely make out “1936” on the drivers side panel) Taking a picture of it with the flash on and then playing with the camera's filters helped the lettering to stand out even more and then comparing to the pictures of the known survivor from up north that I found by searching Google convinced me what it says and what it is.
So to me it looks to have been a Demonstrator. What I haven't been able to make out yet is the dealer name at the bottom of the sign.
The truck was obviously painted over a few times during its lifetime. I can see some light blue on the inside of the doors. Some dark green on the door frames. A darker (faded) blue on the fire wall, and maybe a faded dark green or faded black on the overall body and dashboard. Based on the dark green I see on the door frames, Did the US Military own it at one time? A couple of the tires and the spare tire do have US military marking embossed into them. Hum? Or did the old farmer just have some dark green paint and a couple of old surplus tires laying around?
The nice part is, because My wife”s grandfather never drove the truck or did much with it ( other than “protect” it from the crusher) I am pretty wide open to what to do with paint once I get to that point, no emotional attachment to any particular color or paint scheme. While paying homage to him was my first thought ( if he had owned a business, what would it have been called?), but if it is in fact a “Demonstrator” , Then Yellow & Washington Blue might be it…… but I have a long way to go before I get there and have to make those decisions.
Anyway, I don't plan on setting any time records , but I will post my progress when I can find the time to make progress. Like I said the first goal is simple...getting it so that it can actually roll. Any suggestions, ideas, or the pointing of direction to acquire at least 4 wheels with tires that will serve the purpose of rolling around the yard and into the barn would be a big help and greatly appreciated.
Thanks for reading and I promise my future post won't be a book.
Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1936 FORD MODEL51 TREES FRONT.jpg (202.1 KB, 1196 views)
File Type: jpg 1936 FORD MODEL51 TREES SIDE.jpg (206.2 KB, 322 views)
File Type: jpg 1936 FORD MODEL51 FL.jpg (139.0 KB, 318 views)
File Type: jpg 1936 FORD MODEL51 FR.jpg (149.9 KB, 318 views)
File Type: jpg 1936 FORD MODEL51 INSIDE.jpg (139.9 KB, 324 views)
File Type: jpg 1936 FORD MODEL51 SIGN.jpg (107.9 KB, 313 views)
File Type: jpg 1936 FORD MODEL51 RS.jpg (164.0 KB, 284 views)
File Type: jpg 1936 FORD MODEL51 LS.jpg (95.7 KB, 272 views)
File Type: jpg 1936 FORD MODEL51 BACK.jpg (142.2 KB, 246 views)
File Type: jpg 1936 FORD MODEL51TRAILER.jpg (70.5 KB, 247 views)

"Well, ain't this place a geographical oddity. Two weeks from everywhere!" Everett Ulysses McGill
Scavenger One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 04:17 PM   #2
Mart

Default Re: A forgotten in plain site 1936 Model 51

Hey, hello and welcome to the barn. I enjoyed the long story. Sometimes people are too brief and leave out a lot of interesting details. There's a fella on the HAMB doing a similar truck. Here's a link: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...hread.1178435/

Anyway, good luck with it and keep us informed as to how it is going.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 04:24 PM   #3
tubman

You might want to check this thread out : https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...t=demonstrator.

I seem to remember a thread about a guy who restored a '36 truck much like yours, but I can't seem to find it now.

(EDIT : Damn, Mart, you're quick!)
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 04:26 PM   #4
Blastfromthepast

ScavengerOne, welcome to the Forum. You’ve come to the right place for information.
Nice truck and wish you the best. I’m not a truck owner so I can’t help you with that
but what I will say is that there are a bunch of nice guys here
that will go out of their way to help you.
Post your question and the suggestions will come.
Best of luck with your project, Blast.
Blastfromthepast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 05:21 PM   #5
mercman from oz

It is great that you have saved this old 1936 Ford Truck. I have a good friend in Virginia who is restoring a similar 1935 Ford Truck. Regards.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 06:27 PM   #6
muggsy

I too am a new member. Best of luck with your new project
muggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:17 PM   #7
Newc

Hi; That is a "Script" bed!! and the Military G8T trucks used those solid front side boards. Generally the military contracts in '35/36 were Chevys, also tho Whites, Internationals, and Fords were purchased in the rapid build up of a new mechanized military. Horses were present right up to WW2. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:43 PM   #8
KDL

Nice truck! Good luck on your project.
KDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 09:11 PM   #9
Zeke3

Welcome aboard. I loved the story also and it looks like a great project.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 01:10 AM   #10
frnkeore

It is a dump bed? Those two levers, next to the parking brake, look like they are for the PTO and dump cylinder. Is that right?
'54 Ford Tudor Mainline
frnkeore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 08:46 AM   #11
Model51

Hello,
I live in Fairfax Station, VA, so I'm close to you. I'm restoring a 1935 1 1/2" stakebed as a demonstrator truck and have a lot of information, parts and pictures of 1935 and 1936 Ford trucks like yours. I also have a 1936 1 1/2 ton panel truck. You are welcome to visit. I should be able to answer most of your questions and help out. If you are interested, let me know. I'm not quite sure how personal messages work on this forum, but we should be able to get in touch directly somehow.
Model51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 08:59 AM   #12
Model51

A couple observations from your pictures. Your truck looks to be fairly original which is good and might be a 157" frame. The other size is 131 1/2". I'm not sure what the extra levers to the right of the hand brake originally were for. Typically, a 157" wheel base truck did not have a dump body, those were found on 131 1/2" models mostly. The script bed on back is a great thing to have. The two front side panels are originals as they came with all Model 51 stake trucks (1935 and 1936 trucks are the same model). It sure looks like a former demonstrator truck which was essentially a yellow truck with blue accents (fenders, belt rail on cab, etc.). I have a set of photos of a really nice original demonstrator which you can use for patterns once the day comes when you want to paint it. Look forward to hearing more. Also, I can come to your place and look over your truck and answer questions that way too.
Model51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 10:10 AM   #13
Ol' Ron

Yes, We need more people like you, good luck, stay safe. And think Flatheads and you'll go to heaven.
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 11:14 AM   #14
51504bat

Welcome to the Barn. Love your truck. Had several '40 1 1/2 ton flatbeds but sent them on their way because they just weren't daily driver candidates like my '39 p/u. This site is a great source for info/support. Another site you should consider is the Ford Trucks Enthusiasts (FTE) forum: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum42/

IMO you can't have too many sources of info.
Old 12-03-2020, 11:17 AM   #15
Scavenger One

Thank you Mart and thanks for the link, I will check it out.

"Well, ain't this place a geographical oddity. Two weeks from everywhere!" Everett Ulysses McGill
Old 12-03-2020, 11:23 AM   #16
Scavenger One

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
You might want to check this thread out : https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...t=demonstrator.

I seem to remember a thread about a guy who restored a '36 truck much like yours, but I can't seem to find it now.

(EDIT : Damn, Mart, you're quick!)
Thank you Tubman. I may have seen the thread you are referring to. The Truck was his Grandfather's, inherited by his uncle, ended up sitting in a hedgerow, purchased sight unseen from the cousin, got it back up and drivable in a year's timeframe.

Old 12-03-2020, 11:27 AM   #17
Scavenger One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastfromthepast View Post
ScavengerOne, welcome to the Forum. You’ve come to the right place for information.
Nice truck and wish you the best. I’m not a truck owner so I can’t help you with that
but what I will say is that there are a bunch of nice guys here
that will go out of their way to help you.
Post your question and the suggestions will come.
Best of luck with your project, Blast.
Thank you Blast. That is the hope. In everything I was reading so far, there was always someone pointing to the group of people in the Ford Barn.

Old 12-03-2020, 11:31 AM   #18
Scavenger One

Quote:
Originally Posted by frnkeore View Post
It is a dump bed? Those two levers, next to the parking brake, look like they are for the PTO and dump cylinder. Is that right?
Frank, yes it is a dump bed. I know the levers have to do with PTO and Dump but I haven't gotten into how they work yet. I am sure getting that working again will be its own project in its self.

Old 12-03-2020, 11:35 AM   #19
Scavenger One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model51 View Post
Hello,
I live in Fairfax Station, VA, so I'm close to you. I'm restoring a 1935 1 1/2" stakebed as a demonstrator truck and have a lot of information, parts and pictures of 1935 and 1936 Ford trucks like yours. I also have a 1936 1 1/2 ton panel truck. You are welcome to visit. I should be able to answer most of your questions and help out. If you are interested, let me know. I'm not quite sure how personal messages work on this forum, but we should be able to get in touch directly somehow.
Model51, Yea you are not that far away from me at all. I use to work at the Harley Dealer in Fairfax City. Definitely would like to catch up with you and check out your projects as well.
Jeff

Old 12-03-2020, 12:00 PM   #20
Scavenger One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model51 View Post
A couple observations from your pictures. Your truck looks to be fairly original which is good and might be a 157" frame. The other size is 131 1/2". I'm not sure what the extra levers to the right of the hand brake originally were for. Typically, a 157" wheel base truck did not have a dump body, those were found on 131 1/2" models mostly. The script bed on back is a great thing to have. The two front side panels are originals as they came with all Model 51 stake trucks (1935 and 1936 trucks are the same model). It sure looks like a former demonstrator truck which was essentially a yellow truck with blue accents (fenders, belt rail on cab, etc.). I have a set of photos of a really nice original demonstrator which you can use for patterns once the day comes when you want to paint it. Look forward to hearing more. Also, I can come to your place and look over your truck and answer questions that way too.
Yes, it is a 157" and it is a Dump. Is it original to the truck or was it added on later, I do not know. I will say that there are two "I" beams that have been Bolted/welded onto the underside of the bed possibly for support when it raised.
You are more than welcome to come by. I would love to hear your opinions and advice. I am actually just west of Manassas ( less than a mile off 28) super easy to find. We will have to get in touch and get together soon.