Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-09-2021, 07:12 PM   #1
McMimmcs

Default Off Topic Help Correct fancy wood damage

one of the cars in my collection has natural wood in the interior. My grandson placed a warm coffee cup on a flat wood surface. When he removed the cup the wood surface had a whitish circle where the warm coffee cup was sitting. I tried to remove the white residue with Liquid Gold furniture polish to no avail. Is there a tried and true method to repair this surface damage? Thank you in advance for your assistance. Wayne.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 08:51 PM   #2
LeonardS

Default Re: Off Topic Help Correct fancy wood damage

Is it natural wood without any stain or topcoat? If so, maybe a little wood bleach?
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 09:10 PM   #3
mass A man

Try using a small can of Howard's Restore-a-finish. It comes in nine or ten different colors to match the color finish you need to repair, Oak, Walnut, dark Walnut, Ebony, Mahogany, neutral, etc... Need to use it with a little piece of the finest, (xxxx) steel wool. Buff residue off with clean cotton cloth, wax over it with a good paste wax. I've had good luck with Howards for 40 years. I believe it's made in Paso Robles, Ca. "USA"
mass A man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 09:20 PM   #4
McMimmcs

I think it’s a polyurethane finish on it?
Old 01-10-2021, 10:47 AM   #5
Will N

I've read that smearing mayonnaise on a white water stain on finished wood will work. Apply it and let is sit for some time. The oil in the mayo will soak in and remove the stain.
Will N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:47 AM   #6
jrelliott

Finish could be Shellac. Try mass A Man's advice to rub out with steel wool and then French Polish. Where you use Denatured Alcohol and shellac in a soft cotton cloth with a cotton ball inside the pad to rub out the blemish. You can look up French Polish on the internet for more complete instructions.
jrelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 11:34 AM   #7
Tinbasher

It could be Lacquer. That will leave a mark like that. Try a little toothpaste and give it a rub, see if it will bring it back. Another thing to try is "Brasso" That will rub it out. Look for the old Brasso in a metal tin. Not the new one in the plastic bottle, it won't work.
If all else fails try a fine rubbing compound. One of them should work.

JP
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 01:43 PM   #8
McMimmcs

Thank you folks for the suggestions. Hopefully I can test them out this week. Wayne
Old 01-11-2021, 09:17 AM   #9
Bob Bidonde

I found these suggestions on the internet:

Get those white marks—caused by hot cups or sweating glasses—off your coffee table or other wooden furniture by making a paste of 1 tablespoon baking soda and 1 teaspoon water. Gently rub the spot in a circular motion until it disappears. Remember not to use too much water to remove water stains from wood;

Your most recent party left lots of watermark rings on your wood furniture. To make them disappear, apply petroleum jelly and let it sit overnight. In the morning, wipe the watermark away with the jelly;

To get rid of those telltale watermark rings left by sweating beverages, gently rub some non-gel toothpaste with a soft cloth on the surface to remove water stains from wood. Then wipe it off with a damp cloth and let it dry before applying furniture polish. For even stronger cleaning power, mix equal parts white toothpaste and baking soda. Rub the paste parallel to the wood grain, wipe it off, and then polish with lemon oil;

Someone forgot to use a coaster and now there’s an ugly white ring on the dining room table. When regular furniture polish doesn’t work, try using a dab of car wax to remove water stains from wood. Trace the ring with your finger to apply the wax. Let it dry and buff with a soft cloth;

To remove white rings left by wet glasses on wood furniture, mix equal parts vinegar and olive oil and apply it with a soft cloth while moving with the wood grain. Use another clean, soft cloth to shine it up. To get white water rings off leather furniture, dab them with a sponge soaked in full-strength white vinegar.

Hopefully, one of these suggestions works.