Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-25-2021, 04:21 PM   #1
56sedandelivery

Default ignition wiring harness testing

OK on my frankenford I have a 80s something tilt steering column. It was working before I took it apart and rebuilt it and primed it. Now I could just stick the wiring harness back in and probably would work but as big a pain in rear feeding it through there would like to test it to be sure it is good. Is there some video or instructions on how to test this harness? Thanks

Title should have been turn signal/horn harness I guess. Duh.

Last edited by 56sedandelivery; 12-25-2021 at 05:07 PM.
56sedandelivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 08:24 PM   #2
5851a

Default Re: ignition wiring harness testing

Do you have a picture of the 80's something? Is it a Ford column or another brand? The harness rarely goes bad but switches can be another story and you would need a wiring diagram for that.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 02:09 PM   #3
56sedandelivery

It is a 80 GM column that has the ignition on the column and the turn/horn harness that runs down the center of the column. I have the wire diagram but do not know how to check to make sure the switch part is still working before putting it back in the column. Enclosed pics of the column and the end of the harness before I tore it apart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Column.JPG (92.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0280.JPG (65.0 KB, 13 views)
Old 12-26-2021, 05:00 PM   #4
5851a

I'm not real up on GM columns. But you should be able to check continuity between inputs and out puts. 3 inputs, Brown is emergency flasher feed, that should have continuity with all lamps when switch is engaged. Purple is turn signal feed and that will have continuity to the front and rear lamps what ever direction the turn lever is set to. White is brake lamp feed and will only have continuity to rear lamps. Black is for horn relay and I'm not sure but think it will be a ground from steering wheel brush. Lt blue left front bulb, Yellow left rear bulb. Dk blue right front and green right rear bulb. Hope this is some help and old notes don't lead you astray.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 11:44 AM   #5
bobss396

The bracket on top of the column holds the actual ignition switch, are you using that? It would make sense if you keep the column key.

What 5851a says is good. You need to match up the GM code with the Ford harness functions.
bobss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 10:21 AM   #6
rotorwrench

Start with the F-body in that era and compare a diagram with what you have. Here is a link. https://nastyz28.com/2gcog/wiring.html

GM and others followed diagram patterns that lasted for a long time before changes were made.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 11:59 AM   #7
56sedandelivery

Thanks guys. getting there. Appears I have a 84-87 column. Prior to 84 there were 8 wires and after that 10. Extra two wires were for key buzzer which I do not have anyway. I will be rewiring the entire car so do not have to match with anything just need the correct column connector which I believe the companies that sell wire kit use. This is a pic of the column connector. Yes I will be using the standard GM ignition switch on the column.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ts.jpg (35.2 KB, 6 views)