Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-02-2020, 07:28 PM   #1
55blacktie

Default Casco Thunderbird HO Water Pump

I would like to hear from members who are using Casco's Thunderbird HO water pump. I've not read any negative reviews, but a Tbird owner told me that his car ran hotter after installing the Casco pump. He believes that the coolant did not remain in the radiator long enough for sufficient cooling. He switched back to standard pump, has stock radiator, but is using a puller electric fan. His car is no longer overheating. His car has ac, and the summers are quite hot.

I've read pros and cons of using a high-volume water pump. One might argue that although the coolant flows through the radiator more quickly, it also flows through the engine block more quickly. If the coolant needs to spend more time in the radiator, does it also need to spend more time in the engine block to extract heat from the engine? Has anyone studied thermodynamics?
55blacktie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 06:41 AM   #2
Vern Appleton

Default Re: Casco Thunderbird HO Water Pump

I haven't read any reviews about the Casco Thunderbird HO as well. Any other feedback would be well-appreciated.
Vern Appleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 05:17 PM   #3
Bonniewwyn

I put this pump on our '56 this summer. Car always ran hot according to the Ford gauge. We added Air Cond and temp would go all the way too hot side. So added the casco pump, new aluminum radiator after flushing block 3 times and really nothing much came out. Electric pusher fan added, Car now runs around letter "T" on Temp gauge and its in low 90 degree temp most days. I think the pump helped. Our car has all the rad shrouds on it.
Bonniewwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 11:44 AM   #4
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck

I plan on doing that with my T-Bird also. I am also thinking strongly about putting a later automatic, overdrive transmission in the car.Here what on my list 60,40 power seat for mother when she drives, Tilt Wheel and smaller steering wheel, Cruse Control. Any of you fellows done this? Do away with the soft top more room for the 60 40 seat.
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 02:00 PM   #5
miker98038

Excuse me going OT from the op.

I've got a tilt/tele wheel in my bird, made by ididit. There's more mods in mine, but the wheel is normally in just about the stock position. Changing the column in a bird has some challenges due to the existing slip joint. This assumes you've got the telescoping stock column. It can be done, but you need some background in hot rod column work.

The bird suppliers make a smaller diameter wheel complete with horn ring. I'd try that on the stock column first, because the tilt really doesn't end up doing much for me. Your case may differ. Here's a link to Casco, but I think all the bird suppliers carry them. IIRC, someone else is close to you.

https://www.classictbird.com/Steerin...ctinfo/3600SM/

I've looked all over for a seat that had more adjustment. Never found anything in the street rods or junk yards. Not to say it isn't out there, I just never found it. I wasn't willing to pay someone to cut, weld, and modify a seat and then do custom cushions and upholstery.

If you come up with a seat solution, post it for us please.

Last edited by miker98038; 09-05-2020 at 02:07 PM.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 09:24 AM   #6
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck

I will start with smaller Steering Wheel then a 60-40 seat. I see no problem with that down the road. I can go to Bucket Seats if I half to. My wife is short and she moves the seat up real close and that don't work for me. If I half to go to a bucket seat I will. It will half to be power on her side for sure. Time will tell.
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote