Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-05-2020, 06:48 PM   #1
poolplayer1

Default 55 Ford ranch wagon/ Sunvisors

Does anyone here have any used sunvisors for my 55 ford? About 20 yrs ago,I took my wagon to a guy to replace the headliner.He had the wagon at his shop for about 10 months before he had it done and when I went to pick it up,he could not find the visors.darn it. I don't really care about the condition of the visor cause I have a good upholstery guy here in town that can put new cloth or vinyl on them.They would have to be complete with mounting brackets.
Thanks to all for checking.
poolplayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:29 PM   #2
dmsfrr

Default Re: 55 Ford ranch wagon/ Sunvisors

Have you tried a *Wanted* ad in the Swap-Meet section? A pair for the interior, not one of the big ones for the outside?
Is there a chance you have dimensions for them or a photo (from another car) of what they look like?

A previous owner put a pair of white visors in my '55 (photo) but they aren't the right shape for a baby bird.
If there's a chance they'd fit a full-sized '55 car... I have correctly shaped replacements and can take these out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 55-19.jpg (76.1 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 08-05-2020 at 08:59 PM. Reason: add photo
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:53 PM   #3
paul2748

I see a bunch of them on ebay. Some are big $'s
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:57 AM   #4
JeffB2

Notice the picture in the upper left they have plenty they part out and they ship. https://www.facebook.com/Rudys-Class...cnpVuU&fref=nf
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 04:46 PM   #5
Daves55Sedan

Be careful when buying used sunvisors from someone. Ask to see close-up photos of the mounting bracket. The '55 sedan models have a triangular shaped silver colored mounting bracket. The '55 Crown Vic, '56 Vicky and '56 Crown Vic have a different bracket. The '56 sedans may have the same bracket but the visor may be shaped differently. I'm pretty sure the '54 visors won't work either.
Also, make sure the spring that pokes up behind the bracket is tight and not broken. If this connection is loose, the visor will automatically swing toward the door window while you are driving. The only way to fix this is to grind down the top of the rod where it is punched down so you can remove the spring, then get a new spring stout enough to hold it steady. It would be necessary to heat up the end of the rod and punch it down to hold the spring. This must be done before re-upholstering.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 05:45 PM   #6
poolplayer1

Thanks guys for your help in finding the visors for my 55.I will keep searching and also go and check on epay and rudys chop-shop.Hopefully,I will find them somewhere.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:42 PM   #7
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
... The '55 sedan models have a triangular shaped silver colored mounting bracket. The '55 Crown Vic, '56 Vicky and '56 Crown Vic have a different bracket. The '56 sedans may have the same bracket but the visor may be shaped differently. I'm pretty sure the '54 visors won't work either.
Back in reply # 2 the mounting bracket arms for the visors are correct for the car but the visors are not.
Within limits and if needed, it seems some mix & match to end up with what you need may be possible.

The visors in the photo also have another opening at the top closest to the inside mirror, for a rod that would stick out of the visors to hook into a support groove / hook on either side of the center mirror mount.
If anyone has an idea what year or model vehicle they will fit, someone else could use them.
They measure 20 & 1/2 overall width by 4 & 5/8 high and could even be for a something several years newer.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 08-06-2020 at 09:54 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 01:05 PM   #8
delco1946

Not sure if you wanted old ones, but you can buy them new from Macs Auto.
delco1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 02:11 PM   #9
poolplayer1

Thanks to all for your help.