Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-10-2020, 04:23 AM   #1
CharlieBrown

Default My beloved Mustang V8 67'!

I LOVED the classic Mustangs since the dawn of time, and so I have always dreamed of getting one for myself. After reading the forums here and there, I decided upon the best version for renovation: the V8, of course. It whole process of looking for it went super fast because I found the car in a couple of days and everything matched my dreams.

I picked Mustang convertible 4.7 v8 200HP (289ci) in dark moss green color. It needs a complete overhaul, but I will take care of it with pleasure!

I just have a problem what to do with slightly scratched or corroded plates, like supports - just clean it by myself and paint it black or play with sandblasting and powder painting? I don't know what to do with rubbers either, these are slightly dirty but otherwise in perfect condition. They should be replaced, but I don't know if they will not be replaced for the worse?

Do you have any advice?
CharlieBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 08:25 AM   #2
BW

Default Re: My beloved Mustang V8 67'!

Good luck with your Mustang. I don't know what plates you are talking about, But that is up to you on how you want to do it. I would get all the corrosion off. As far as the rubbers go, I would try to clean them up first and see what you have. Any rubbers that are cracked replace. Daniel Carpenter and Steele, I think would be your best replacement. There is a lot of junk Mustang parts out there and I found the hard way cheaper is not better. Do your homework before you buy.
BW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 08:39 AM   #3
bobss396

You can almost build a new Mustang out of a parts catalog. Places like Steele Rubber and Carpenter are the best for rubber parts. As far as metal parts, it depends on how far you want to go. I try to keep the same level of detail throughout the build.
bobss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 03:13 PM   #4
Ford Freak

I will never forget the red w/black top '67 convertable my mother got new ! 289/auto . It had the first of the "wide oval" tires . I was 12 yrs. old & all the kids in the neighborhood loved riding in it ! I have a dark green '65 Falcon Sprint . My color is called Ivy Green , but it is probably the same as your color. Great color , and not very common . Good luck w/your '67 !
Ford Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 08:03 PM   #5
Marcus

CharlieBrown - All good advice, above. Also, check around your area for folks who have been down that restoration road. You will get lots of horror stories and some good advice. Figure your budget and then triple it. Cheap will get you cheap and disappointments. Check for a local Mustang club and join the on-line Mustang Forum. Once you start any restoration tear-down, you CANNOT take too many pictures! Be sure you very carefully inspect the typical rust areas: cowl, torque boxes, etc before you start anything: sometimes the degree of rust will impact your restoration plans. Your color may be Highland Green, the "Bullitt color." I don't know to what plates you are referring - but if you are building a show car, powder coating is the way to go. Any seals or rubbers should be replaced and Steele Rubber Parts is the best starting point. Suspension rubber parts can be had from many vendors, and you might want to consider a suspension upgrade (I like the sport performance package from NPD).
I currently have several Mustang convertibles, have restored more than I care to admit, and own the only Fox-bodied Mustang Pickup in existence. (Google Truckstang if you care to see pictures). Send a PM if you wish to talk Mustangs, and it would help if you posted your location.
Old 07-10-2020, 08:45 PM   #6
50fordcoupeman

Welcome to the Barn.I had a green '67 and the paint was called Spanish Moss Green. Try lacquer thinner on the rubbers-usually works wonders.
50fordcoupeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 03:34 PM   #7
Gene F

I had a 67 couple with at 289. Rust is the only real issues with Mustangs and Cougars. Kinda wish I had mine back.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 07:06 PM   #8
5851a

67 is a key year, it was before government regulation took over completely. Small block 289 and dark ivy green. A winner for sure, tell use more about brackets and rubber parts are suspension I'm guessing, probably need replacing and after 50+ years.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 10:40 PM   #9
Lanny

Welcome to the FordBarn. I used to buy any aftermarket Mustang Pars
I needed from Tony Branda Mustang and Cobra Parts.
There are tons of vendors that sell Mustang parts these days, so do a
search and look for a reputable vendor that is close to you. Then If you
need parts, you could drive there, or have them shipped reasonably.

If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.
But if daddy ain't happy...RUN
Lanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 02:29 PM   #10
frank long island

thinner will clean the rubbers but will dry them out i would replace with good rubber to seal out the weather I am in the process of building a 66 convertible also dark green with blk gut/top orignal 33000 mile 2 owner car but in bad shape floors cowl side panels door pillar trunk floor/rails motor is locked up 6 cyl sprint 3 spd interior only needs door panels and carpet Ill post pic in my profile soon good luck on your restoration
frank long island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 03:03 PM   #11
55blacktie

Soaking rubber parts in brake fluid is an old-school trick to revitalize, but I've not tried it. For window weatherstrips and other long pieces, you would need a lot of brake fluid and a large container. I don't think I would try it.

My 55 T-bird has spent its entire life in California and stored indoors. Nevertheless, pretty much anything made of rubber has dry rot and needs to be replaced. No amount of brake fluid/thinner will help.
55blacktie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 01:52 PM   #12
34pickup

The only Mustang I ever wanted was a 67-68 Fastback. And in green also. I used to lust after one in town that was the dark green with the two tone interior and a big block/4 speed. A friend of mine has a 68 convertible GT in Ivy Gold , beautiful car. I hope you can get it like you want it, it will be fun, they are easy to work on comparatively speaking.
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote