Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-14-2020, 12:03 PM   #1
L5wolvesf

Default 55 Customline Disc Advise

Hi Guys, I've found the donor for my 55 Customline disc brake swap. It is a 75 Merc Comet - same parts as the Granada.

Tomorrow I'll head over to pull the parts off. I'll be taking the spindle and all that attaches to it except the wheel. Also going to get the proportioning valve, master cylinder and the attached lines.

Anything else or other advise?

Thanks
Old 09-14-2020, 07:28 PM   #2
miker98038

Default Re: 55 Customline Disc Advise

I've not done that so I only know what I've read. But I do know the stock wheels won't fit the Granada hubs. They need to be turned down to the early wheel center opening. If you've got aftermarket or later wheels with larger centers it won't matter.

Since it's going to lower the car, you might measure where you are now. If the springs are sagging it might be the time to replace them. I know some use the Aerostar springs, but some report the car get too low with both the Granada spindles and the Aerostar springs.

And of course, be cautious around the springs.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 09:22 PM   #3
L5wolvesf

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker98038 View Post
I've not done that so I only know what I've read. But I do know the stock wheels won't fit the Granada hubs. They need to be turned down to the early wheel center opening. If you've got aftermarket or later wheels with larger centers it won't matter.

Since it's going to lower the car, you might measure where you are now. If the springs are sagging it might be the time to replace them. I know some use the Aerostar springs, but some report the car get too low with both the Granada spindles and the Aerostar springs.

And of course, be cautious around the springs.
I've done a lot of research on the disc swaps and know about the wheels and some other quirks. I'll be using bigger wheels.

The springs on my 55 are pretty done. So measuring would be useless. And, I'll be going to a 302 or 351 so that might change things too.

Appreciate the caution about springs. When I pulled out my spring compressor I shuttered a bit.

Thank you
Old 09-14-2020, 11:20 PM   #4
miker98038

Having been down the road before, I'd grab some measurements now. I think the factory manual gives a height at the headlight, and I'd take one from the springs at rest. And after the spindle spindle change. Might just come in handy when all is done and you go to order springs to suit your preferences.

I feel the same way about my spring compressor, they just scare me.

Edit. One more thing. Slack off the A arm bolts, at least the lowers first. Let's the arm drop. Retighten when the car is back on the springs (blocks or ground).
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 11:43 PM   #5
Y-Blockhead

When I converted my '55 Ranchwagon over to disc brakes I got everything from the donor Granada, power brake booster thru the 9" rear end. My complete brake system is '77 Granada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L5wolvesf View Post
Appreciate the caution about springs. When I pulled out my spring compressor I shuttered a bit.
Spring compressor? I use a floor jack and the weight of the car.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 05:56 AM   #6
Vern Appleton

Hmm, not bad. A '77 Granada isn't bad at all.
Vern Appleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:56 PM   #7
paul2748

I remember that the Mercury equivalent of a Granada was the Monarch, not the Comet. In a Lincoln, it was the Versailles.

I did the same swap with 80 Granada front brakes. Went with non-power, used the proportioning valve and master from the same car (did get a new master). Brakes work very good, even w/o power. On my 54.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 10:11 AM   #8
L5wolvesf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post

Spring compressor? I use a floor jack and the weight of the car.
I don't want to depend on a wrecking yard's car balancing act. I also brought along a small bottle jack to help with the job.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:14 AM   #9
L5wolvesf

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post
I remember that the Mercury equivalent of a Granada was the Monarch, not the Comet. In a Lincoln, it was the Versailles.

I did the same swap with 80 Granada front brakes. Went with non-power, used the proportioning valve and master from the same car (did get a new master). Brakes work very good, even w/o power. On my 54.
You are correct about the Monarch and the Versailles being equivalent. But the Comet/Maverick also shared the same chassis/parts in the mid 70s.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:17 AM   #10
L5wolvesf

I'm going to have to find another donor - someone grabbed the brakes already. I did get the master, vac booster and prop valve. The Comet has a pretty small booster btw.

I think I'll need the power brakes since I will be going to a 302 or 351 eventually.
Old 09-17-2020, 04:30 PM   #11
frank long island

when i did my 55 merc wagon i had to ream the lower ball joint hole out i used an aftermarket booster and master i think it was a 1 inch bore i also did a ranger disk rear car stopped great i didnt use a proportioning valve got a disk disk master
frank long island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 04:46 PM   #12
JeffB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by L5wolvesf View Post
I'm going to have to find another donor - someone grabbed the brakes already. I did get the master, vac booster and prop valve. The Comet has a pretty small booster btw.

I think I'll need the power brakes since I will be going to a 302 or 351 eventually.
Since the brakes are gone maybe this alternative ? https://scarebird.com/index.php?rout...&product_id=91 A big plus with this is parts will be EZ to get in the future,these older Fords are getting very scarce a lot of 70's & 80's cars fell victim to Obama's "Clunker" campaign and went to scrap.
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 10:25 AM   #13
Ole Don

Some folks forget the lower ball joint hole needs to be reamed with a tapered reamer. Most roundy round race shops can do it for a few bucks. Then; with Granada spindles, the turn stop wont line up. I welded a six inch piece of 3/8 round stock inside the lower A arm stop, extending up. In the many years mine was driven before being sold, they never bent. Then, the rotor is also the hub on this design. The rotor has a huge amount of meat reaching out to the outer bearing. I hade a machine shop take off about 1/8 to fit the stock wheels. It was a wonderful swap. If you are going with aftermarket wheels now, change out the wheel studs for longer ones. It is so much easier on the bench. One last thing, I mocked mine up with no spring to check clearance and hose length. I used an 18 inch long hose, that lower A arm really goes down a long way with no load on it.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 06:59 PM   #14
paul2748

If you happen to find a Versailles (Lincoln) setup, I understand the lower ball joint hole does not have to be reamed.

I had a Granada set up, had to ream mine. (54 Ford). Didn't have to add anything for positive stop.

Went with the stainless hoses.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 05:03 PM   #15
frank long island

don is who i got my information from many years ago
frank long island is offline   Reply With Quote