Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-19-2020, 08:38 AM   #1
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck
Default My 56 T-Bird is coming along nicely

As I have said this 56 T-Bird had been sitting in a garage covered uo for 27 years. That not good as I have found out. New brakes, Wheel cylinders, Master Cylinder, U-Joints, Power Steering Control Valve, Battery, Oil and Filter, Valve cover Gaskets, Pinion Bearing, Wheeling Bearings and 5 new Tires and tubes. The T-Bird starting to shape up and drive as it should. This winter I want to put Air Condition in. I have not check the Radiator to see if it has 3 tubes or 4 tubes. It has not heated up yet when I drive it.I forget I change the heater motor and all the dash lights bulbs, fuzes also. Installed correct radio Town and Country.I love the way the T-Bird steers now. Brakes are nice also. The carb does stumble a bit when you first take of. I don't know what to do about that as yet. You fellows have been a great help and I am thankful very much. Ken Stewart
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 10:11 AM   #2
Dobie Gillis

Default Re: My 56 T-Bird is coming along nicely

Did you find out why your steering was so sloppy?
Old 08-19-2020, 04:28 PM   #3
Old Redneck

Yes I got a another Control Valve from Hills. Works great no leaks either.I did change all the hoses also.
Old 08-19-2020, 04:51 PM   #4
Dobie Gillis

Cool beans!
Old 08-19-2020, 07:23 PM   #5
Marcus

Ken - Glad to hear the 'Bird is getting closer to your demands! You might check out Vintage Air for an AC unit. I've had great luck with their dash hugger unit in several Mustangs; buddy just finished one in his '69 Roadrunner, and they all are unobtrusive but highly functional, and certainly not those huge ugly square boxes that were factory units for the Mustangs.
Hope you and Barb are staying safe, avoiding this Covid thing!!
Old 08-19-2020, 08:34 PM   #6
40cpe

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I had a Vintage Air in-dash unit in my '40. I ran it over 20 years and never even had to recharge it. R134A and put out 40 degree air at the vent. I Think the reason for the good performance is the manifold type condenser that replaced the old tube and fin variety.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg '40dashsm.JPG (82.1 KB, 8 views)
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 09:49 PM   #7
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Redneck View Post
Yes I got a another Control Valve from Hills. Works great no leaks either.I did change all the hoses also.
Ah Ha! I am suspecting that the first control valve you had, the rebuilder left out the spring in the drag-link that keeps pressure on the ball stud.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 09:57 PM   #8
Daves55Sedan

On your carburator (if you have 4-bbl teapot), the problem may be your accelerator pump piston cup. You may be able to keep your stem and just buy the rubber cup that stretches on around the bottom. I have seen some places sell the piston cup by themselves and probably a better idea, because there were several lengths of stems back in those days.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 10:35 AM   #9
Old Redneck

Today my wife and I went out for breakfast a 15 mile drive and in the T-Bird. It was a nice drive and the steering was very nice. I believe this T Bird going to make a nice driver. Now there some things I need to do before I try to put Air Conditioning in the car. Talks to Hills what I should do to get ready so the car don't heat up or run hot. I got to repaint the deck lid and repair the edge because of rust. The gas tank needs to be replace has rust inside. Then a electric fuel pump for vapor lock when on tour. Need to change the door locks to match the ignition switch. Glove door lock and deck lid ok. Just a few little things to do. Like to have a power seat with bucket seats because my wife wants the seat up very close. That way my knees are behind my head. Not nice to ride that way. You fellows have been a great help telling me how to correct what was wrong with the car Thanks again. Ken Stewart
Old 08-20-2020, 11:45 AM   #10
55blacktie

You might consider replacing Holley 4000 Teapot carburetor with a newer carburetor and swap the 1956 dual-diaphragm vacuum canister distributor for 1957-up distributor. At the very least, make sure your carburetor and distributor are compatible. The Teapot carburetor is not compatible with 57-up distributors.

I inherited my dad's 1955 Tbird and discovered, when replacing the distributor cap, I had a 57 distributor. The 57-up distributors have both vacuum and centrifugal advance. An expert recommended that I keep the 57 distributor but replace the Teapot with a modern carburetor. The small-base 55-56 intake manifolds will require a large-base carburetor adapter, or you can look for a large-base "B" manifold. I bought mine on ebay. If you want to keep the Teapot, go to Ted Eaton's website (Eaton Balancing). you'll find an article on modifying the Teapot to use with 57-up distributors.
55blacktie is offline   Reply With Quote