Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-12-2020, 04:48 PM   #41
billybronco1

Default Re: Found Very Concerning Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by petehoovie View Post
I have used this product with great success > https://www.kseal.com/products/k-seal
No draining or flushing of cooling system with this product - will mix with anti freeze....

Petehoovie, did you use this stuff on flatheads with success? Do you think with my scenario its worth a try?
billybronco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 05:09 PM   #42
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybronco1 View Post
Petehoovie, did you use this stuff on flatheads with success? Do you think with my scenario its worth a try?

Yes. I used it for a leaking head gasket in my 21 stud '34 engine. It worked like a champ. Give it a shot. It's a little spendy but you get what you pay for....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 05:12 PM   #43
billybronco1

Sounds good, I read about and I think its worth a try. I'm try to figure on do I need an 8 or 16 ounce bottle. I can't seem to find the flathead coolant capacity online.
Old 10-12-2020, 05:16 PM   #44
Lanny

Delete

If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.
But if daddy ain't happy...RUN

Last edited by Lanny; 10-13-2020 at 11:54 AM.
Lanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 05:25 PM   #45
Lanny

Delete

If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.
But if daddy ain't happy...RUN

Last edited by Lanny; 10-13-2020 at 11:54 AM.
Lanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 05:28 PM   #46
petehoovie

My owners manual states a cooling system capacity of 22 quarts ....

"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

Last edited by petehoovie; 10-12-2020 at 05:35 PM.
Old 10-12-2020, 06:21 PM   #47
billybronco1

Decisions - decisions what to buy, K-seal regular all purpose, K-seal HD, K-seal Ultimate? Probably should spend the big bucks and get the ultimate!
Old 10-12-2020, 06:55 PM   #48
petehoovie

K-Seal ULTIMATE K3501-Just Pour & Go – No Need for Expensive Head Gasket Repairs

Guaranteed to make a repair or your money back

K-Seal ULTIMATE K3501 Head Gasket Repair is the simple, permanent fix for blown head gaskets, cracked heads and blocks, and porous engine blocks. Guaranteed repair for the life of your engine, or your money back!
Our unique formula works with all water-cooled engines – there’s no need to drain or flush your cooling system, and it doesn’t matter what kind of antifreeze or coolant you’ve used previously. Simply shake the bottle, pour K-Seal ULTIMATE into your cooling system, and you’re back on the road.
Just one bottle of K-Seal ULTIMATE is enough to fix blown head gaskets and cracked heads in cars, SUVs and small trucks. For larger engines, simply use two bottles.

Old 10-12-2020, 11:02 PM   #49
J Franklin

Talking Re: Found Very Concerning Issue

Do your friends accuse you of worry/indecision too often? I'll add one more choice,
I like AlumaSeal powder.

I'm betting with a proper re-torque and a dash of stop leak you'll get things in order.

Last edited by J Franklin; 10-12-2020 at 11:11 PM.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 12:51 AM   #50
Rudolph

Quote:
Originally Posted by my4dv8 View Post
Not sure why folk say back off the head nuts to re torque . I never have and never will ,to my way of thinking it unsettles any sealing done on the threads . A properly lubed nut or stud only need to be torqued down, maybe 3 times or More until the nut/stud settles . Only up if the head is coming off.

Try it next time with a pen mark on the stud and the nut you will be supersized, even the most well lubed nut will sometimes not turn, you need to overcome that little bit of friction that makes the wrench click.

most manuals say re tighten a cople times then after a few hundred kms back each one off and re torque
Rudolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 08:20 AM   #51
mhsprecher

If antifreeze is getting into the cylinders, you can often smell it at the exhaust. That would depend upon the amount leaking, of course, and the reliability of your sniffer!
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 11:28 AM   #52
billybronco1

The more I think of this I really would like to fix this leak right instead out of a can. I'm just afraid if I pull or try to pull the heads I might open up a can of worms. If I break a stud or something, I'm really mixed on what to do. A friend of mine has pulled many a heads and said he would help me so maybe that is the way to go. Does anyone have a good reading or youtube on all the tricks of taking the heads of a 21 stud?
Old 10-13-2020, 12:14 PM   #53
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Lot of work with studs, seems much easier to at least try a sealer first. Do you realize some builder put in a sealant in new rebuilds?
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 12:19 PM   #54
billybronco1

No I did not know that. I Have been trying to loosen some nuts a tad, will re torque everything once I get my torque wrench, most are moving okay, a few stubborn ones. Guess I will have to sleep on the idea what to do, I did order some K-seal ultimate
Old 10-13-2020, 01:13 PM   #55
tubman

I agree with "JSeery"; avoid removing the heads and fooling around with the studs if at all possible. Getting the nuts off without breaking any studs is just the beginning of your problems. You can have every nut off and in a can 50 feet from the car and the heads usually still won't move. If you have the time, browse around the web for pictures of fixtures that were made for this very purpose. Most of them resemble medieval torture devices and can cause almost as much pain. That will give you a taste of what you're in for.

Last edited by tubman; 10-13-2020 at 01:27 PM.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 02:36 PM   #56
Rudolph

Quote:
No I did not know that. I Have been trying to loosen some nuts a tad, will re torque everything once I get my torque wrench, most are moving okay, a few stubborn ones. Guess I will have to sleep on the idea what to do, I did order some K-seal ultimate
Don’t loosen them all at once, just one at a time with the bar then bring it back up with the toque wrench in the right pattern,
Rudolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 06:19 PM   #57
Ggmac

Quote:
It only takes one stud to break and your looking at alot of time , money and labor ! Remove engine , remove as much as you can , send , take to machine shop , have the stud repaired and then see what the problem is = hundreds if not a thousand dollars . Use the bottle fix first .
Im using the $1000 amount as im pretty sure you dont have a engine hoist , engine stand , maybe a truch to transport to a qualified FLAT HEAD MACHINE SHOP . Dont make a beautiful car into a project that grows too big and gets put off and eventually sold . Use it , drive it , enjoy it . Life is getting shorter for all of us .
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 06:36 PM   #58
Cobra Joe

^^^^x2
Old 10-13-2020, 07:09 PM   #59
3twinridges

Condensation is normal, our v8 does it also. If you are running rich or the exhaust system is old it tends to be stained black. Even my BMW has condensation at the exhaust on cold start ups.

If you really had a bad leak, I think you would see it leak all the time at the exhaust fittings, and it would be green on a paper towel. I would probably remove the exhaust manifold and scope the exhaust port for signs of leaks before I removed the heads. Removing the heads would be my last resort. Once you take the head off you are going to have to scrape the head surface risking getting trash all down in the piston rings, etc. Thus the whole can of worms thing.

JB
3twinridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 09:42 AM   #60
billybronco1

Have not tried the K-seal yet still screwing around with the exhaust. I did start the car and warmed it up, then pulled the plug that showed antifreeze. Was wondering if it would stop when the engine was hot, the answer was no and when I pulled the muffler off the exhaust pipe dripped antifreeze - not good.