Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-31-2011, 01:24 PM   #1
jrelliott

Default Carb leaking

My Tillotson carb is leaking out around the top of the Fuel Adjusting needle housing. Any recomendations on how to correct this? Could it be the float setting too high? Have also purchased a repair kit for the shut-off valve as the valve seems to be leaking ever so slightly and filling the carb after running the vehicle after shutting off this valve until it dies. A couple of days later smell gas in the garage and traced the leaking carb to this Fuel Adjusting Needle Housing where fuel is coming out of the top.
jrelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:55 PM   #2
mrtexas

Default Re: Carb leaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrelliott View Post
My Tillotson carb is leaking out around the top of the Fuel Adjusting needle housing. Any recomendations on how to correct this? Could it be the float setting too high? Have also purchased a repair kit for the shut-off valve as the valve seems to be leaking ever so slightly and filling the carb after running the vehicle after shutting off this valve until it dies. A couple of days later smell gas in the garage and traced the leaking carb to this Fuel Adjusting Needle Housing where fuel is coming out of the top.
Do you mean the GAV or the idle adjustment (the two needles that can be adjusted on a Tilly)?

Do you have one of those screens inside the gas tank to prevent rust from getting into the carb?

Do you turn off the gas and run the carb dry after each use? The carb can't leak if it doesn't have any gas in it.

Can't say I've had a problem with the GAV needle leaking.

http://members.fortunecity.com/pjsauber/TillyCarb.htm

I restore Tillys. Here is the instructions I provide the new owners:

Your re-built Tillotson Model A Carburetor
 I restored this Tilly by taking it apart and replacing any parts as necessary. I removed and replaced the 3 lead plugs and one freeze plug to clean out all the passages.
 This Tilly has been road tested on my 28RPU. I started it up easily, idled good, drove around the block and up to 45mph to test the high speed performance. It should do the same on your Model A.
 Most carb problems are from dirty fuel. Be sure and use a fuel filter to keep the fuel clean. My As have a screen on the inlet to the shutoff valve and another one in the fuel sediment bulb. I have used a micro filter Snyder’s part number A9156 page A119. However, filters may limit gas flow by gravity.
 Recommended to keep the carburetor clean:

 I have never had a problem with clogged carburetors. Clogged carburetors can cause hesitation, poor performance, and gas leaking by clogging the float valve.
 Caution: A Tilly is made out of aluminum or pot metal. It is not cast iron like a Zenith. Do not overtighten the mounting bolts or you will strip the threads. I have restored stripped threads with heli-coils if necessary. I mounted the carb on my car and the threads are not stripped on the carb you are getting. I will repair threads you strip but you are responsible for shipping both ways.
 I recommend that you start the thread on the gas inlet BEFORE tightening the mounting bolts to avoid stripping the threads. Using yellow fuel resistant Teflon tape is a good idea to prevent leaks. After attaching the gas inlet turn on the gas and check for leaks before starting.
 You should adjust the idle speed on your model A to your preference. I’ve adjusted it a little fast to make sure it works. I’ve adjusted the float slightly low to minimize leaks. Please see the directions.
 A Model A must be timed correctly to run right. It can be done without a timing light but I recommend using a timing indicator and a timing light to check your timing. They cost only $10. You have to make a mark on the crank pulley at top dead center. I have electronic ignition so this is how I do it. Here is one installed on my car:
 I want happy customers, please email [email protected] if not completely satisfied with this carburetor. If I have made a mistake and it is not right, I’ll pay return shipping or refund your money

Last edited by mrtexas; 05-31-2011 at 04:07 PM.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:41 AM   #3
jrelliott

Default Re: Carb leaking

Thanks fpr the info. Rebuilt the Tilly yesterday and lowered the float a little more plus putting some Locktite on the threads of the GAV valve where the unit screws into the carburator base as the threads looked a little bougered up. No leaks so far. Also the top and base were flat checking with straight edge on the mating surfaces.
jrelliott is offline   Reply With Quote