Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-29-2020, 01:39 PM   #21
30 Closed Cab PU

Default Re: convert to LED headlights

If you do a search on LEDs here on the Barn, there is a ton of info on them including the Logo-lights. It is somewhat confusing since some say they are great, others object to them saying they do not focus/align in the correct pattern.

I use the Logo lights primarily as daylight running lights, typically do not use them at night since I rarely drive the A at night.. I find they throw light everywhere, but then my reflectors were replaced 8-9 years ago, may be not shaped corectly, and I do not know where they came from.

The Logo-lights are not exactly cheap, but conversion to the ones with the fans that are reported to work correctly are fairly expensive.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 02:42 PM   #22
BRENT in 10-uh-C

I am answering Kevin in NJ comments below which are in the bold letters below;

What is not brought out is where the light goes. It gets glossed over.

I dunno where the light goes Kevin, ...the light probably evaporates into space somewhere. Seriously, is this the "right question" you think we should all be asking ourselves??

The point to focusing the lamp is to put the light where it needs to go and not into the trees or the eyes of the oncoming cars.

Again, more misinformation. 'Aiming' and 'Focusing' are two different terms, -and you are confusing the two. 'Focusing' deals with making a crisp beam whereas 'Aiming' deals with keeping the light beam(s) out of the trees or oncoming traffic's eyes. Since an incandescent bulb only has one or maybe two filaments, the light of the filament is focused using the parabolic shape of the reflector to produce the furthest beam as possible with just that thin line of illumination. Focusing an LED bulb that has many diodes emitting in different locations is not necessary to concentrate a beam of light in a direction. The intensity of the diode(s) is what determines the distance and pattern.

A while ago someone did tests with a light measuring device and found the halogen solution did put almost the same amount of light where you need it to drive. But it also put a lot of light all over the place.

This all can be argued until Jesus comes back, but the bottom line is people need to trust people who have actually used them for their feedback, -and quit listening to people who have not even tried them. To prove my point, tell us all where you purchased your bulbs, and how long you tested them on your own car. My experience counters the opinions you are giving.

Pretty sure blinding oncoming traffic or be in the mirror of the car in front is (not??) a good thing.

This poor comment has been beat to death also. I am pretty sure I can blind oncoming motorists and/or motorists in front of me with an improperly aimed Model-A headlamp, -no matter whether it has an incandescent bulb or a halogen bulb. With that being the case, not sure how relevant it is to using an LED bulb when any bulb can be made to blind oncoming traffic or illuminate trees.

So a real test would be measuring the light in multiple places. I am pretty sure there are standards for light amounts in areas in front of the car.

I doubt you would like to compare a 32cp bulb with an original reflector in a modern DOT test where specifications are set for LED and Halogen lighting. Secondly, the "real test" is when someone here reports their findings when they have installed LED bulbs in their own Model-A.

Do these LED lamps meet these requirements when used in the A headlamps? We do not know and likely will never know. If you are going to ask the questions you need to ask the right questions.

Again, this same comment has been 'over-used' and it never gains any traction. Here are the truthful facts regarding this, ...most naysayers of the LED bulbs have never even used them, however they are full of opinions based on hearsay. Most people that have reported favorable results on this site and social media are people who HAVE used them and found them to be an improvement.

As I recall the original type bulb with a good reflector and properly focused did a decent job lighting the road. A direct fit halogen did better. Both work fine with factory electrics.

This I will partially agree with. The only thing is you left out one sentence. You should have added; 'Certain direct-fit LED bulbs have been found to produce more usable light than the incandescent and the retrofitted halogen bulbs.'. The LED bulbs have also been found to work fine with factory electrics.

The bottom-line in this entire thread is people should only give feedback on subjects they have first-hand knowledge of, -and not an answer based on hearsay, opinions, or possibilities.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 10:43 PM   #23
Pete

How come what with all of the internet and modern instant communication facilities, no one seems to know of the conversion kits available that enable you to install 7 inch standard seal beam headlamp bulbs, either 6 or 12 volt, inside a model A headlight bucket, with NO modification to the bucket and it keeps the original lens glass?
All the changeover requires is a reasonable skill with a screwdriver.
Modern cars still use these bulbs so it is very unlikely a model A is going to overdrive them.
One big advantage of all this is they are FAR cheaper than 2 modern halogen or LED bulbs.
Pete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 11:01 PM   #24
PalAl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
How come what with all of the internet and modern instant communication facilities, no one seems to know of the conversion kits available that enable you to install 7 inch standard seal beam headlamp bulbs, either 6 or 12 volt, inside a model A headlight bucket, with NO modification to the bucket and it keeps the original lens glass?
All the changeover requires is a reasonable skill with a screwdriver.
Modern cars still use these bulbs so it is very unlikely a model A is going to overdrive them.
One big advantage of all this is they are FAR cheaper than 2 modern halogen or LED bulbs.
Pete, would you be so kind as to pass on more information on this 7 in behind the lens sealed beam kit for Model A Fords. Would love to see pictures of what you have done and where you purchased this product and even more help would be part numbers. Model A lighting upgrades have been a topic since the 50's. Thanks for taking the time to show us what you have
PalAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 11:07 PM   #25
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalAl View Post
Pete, would you be so kind as to pass on more information on this 7 in behind the lens sealed beam kit for Model A Fords. Would love to see pictures of what you have done and where you purchased this product and even more help would be part numbers. Model A lighting upgrades have been a topic since the 50's. Thanks for taking the time to show us what you have
I will see what I can find. I haven't installed any for several years. All of the model A vendor's used to sell them.
Pete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 12:39 AM   #26
Bob Johnson

Here are some tests I did with Halogen and LED headlights. All pictures were taken with the same camera with the same exposure. Draw your own conclusions. Note the incandescent bulb pictures were mostly black.

Bob Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 11:05 AM   #27
katy

I have these on my '31, Sealed beam adapter kit:

https://snydersantiqueauto.com/Produ...hts/head-light
Old 08-30-2020, 11:33 AM   #28
Jack Shaft
BANNED

A lumen is the measure of the amount of brightness of a light bulb.there is no focusing that can make up for LED bulbs being in some cases 10 times brighter than a conventional filament bulb.

There is no difference in the 'quality' of light, light emitting diode bulbs can obtained in color of light displayed.

Running a stock generator LED bulbs make sense on two levels,brighter and more effective lights at a lower draw than incandescents,that means less load..lees load makes amperage available for other circuits.
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 11:55 AM   #29
mass A man

I switched over to all LED's in the A, I do like the very low amp draw now at night. I hear that the Logo Lights are actually 8-12 volts, so at low RPM's or a low setting on 3rd brush, the lights will flicker, trying to stay lit. You may want to investigate this yourself.
mass A man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 12:05 PM   #30
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass A man View Post
I switched over to all LED's in the A, I do like the very low amp draw now at night. I hear that the Logo Lights are actually 8-12 volts, so at low RPM's or a low setting on 3rd brush, the lights will flicker, trying to stay lit. You may want to investigate this yourself.

Thanks for the info, my logo lights do flicker some at lower speeds. I put up with it, figured I must have poor connections somewhere, never took the time to investigate. When I bought them thought I had read they worked down to 6 volts, but not sure now.
Old 08-30-2020, 12:06 PM   #31
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:

What do you use in your headlamps?
Old 08-30-2020, 12:18 PM   #32
Conaway2

Quote:
LogoLites will actually work on 6 or 12 volts. With my stock 6V electrical system, I’ve had no issue with flicker at all. Those who report this as an issue need to check electrical connections.
Jim
Conaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 01:39 PM   #33
mass A man

My headlamps are LogoLites. All other came from a different vendor. I've rewired and ran separate ground years ago when I was refreshing this old truck. Also I see where my tail lamps flicker a bit too, before I nudged my 3rd brush down a bit from mid-point to increase output. Haven't tested it out yet. Yes, the LogoLites do in fact "work", but flicker at times. Same comments of flickering lights from local friend with a '30 roadster, fully restored.
Old 08-30-2020, 07:21 PM   #34
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Johnson View Post
Here are some tests I did with Halogen and LED headlights. All pictures were taken with the same camera with the same exposure. Draw your own conclusions. Note the incandescent bulb pictures were mostly black.

Bob your test with LEDs must be flawed since your LED lights are not shining up in the trees!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 07:04 AM   #35
ryanheacox

Quote:
My headlamps are LogoLites. All other came from a different vendor. I've rewired and ran separate ground years ago when I was refreshing this old truck. Also I see where my tail lamps flicker a bit too, before I nudged my 3rd brush down a bit from mid-point to increase output. Haven't tested it out yet. Yes, the LogoLites do in fact "work", but flicker at times. Same comments of flickering lights from local friend with a '30 roadster, fully restored.

Same here, I was thoroughly disappointed in them. I went through and gave both sockets a dedicated ground, cleaned all connections and made sure that everything was "tite and brite". Nothing got rid of the flicker and occasionally one of the high beams would completely drop out and go back to low beam. This was on a generator with Tom W's EVR.

I popped in a couple of new 32-50 incandescents and am more than happy with the performance.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 07:23 AM   #36
GPierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Bob your test with LEDs must be flawed since your LED lights are not shining up in the trees!!
I love starting the day with good hearty laugh. It sets the tone for the rest of my day.
GPierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 12:12 PM   #37
mass A man

I'm running the original generator with the Voltage regulator I bought from the company that made them, "Fun Projects, Inc." years ago.Works very well, but still had a serious amperage drain on a long night drive. Adjusting the 3rd brush back and forth is a pain, just to remember to do it at least, Don't want to boil my battery during a long day trip. This is why I made the switch to LogoLites.

Like you, Ryan, my wiring and everything is top notch clean and tight, yes, I'm sure, as I do hold an F.A.A. mechanic's license. My buddy with the '30 roadster and flickering lights called Logolites and pressed the man for the voltage, response was; 8-12 Volts. I believe some guys have not noticed the flickering since it is not noticeable while driving the car at speed. Even at idle, one would need to have things just right to see the reflection of their headlights doing the "flicker dance".
Old 08-31-2020, 05:21 PM   #38
CarlG

My pickup is now ALL LED. My headlights are from JDMastar, they utilize the same 9007 socket and reflectors that the Halogens did. I am very pleased with the light output and the fact that the electrical drain is nil. I have had no complaints regarding blinding oncoming traffic.

One of the best things I've done to my pickup to enhance the driving experience, especially at night.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 10:10 PM   #39
Pat/Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadpsd View Post
I got mine here. Same bulb as the LogoLights.

https://www.ledlight.com/led-headlig...polarized.aspx
I just purchased these LED bulbs. I installed them on my 1932 Ford Standard Coupe. Below are the results. Installed one on the driver's side and compared the headlights in the daylight. As you can see...there is a noticeable difference in the brightness. I was still concerned what the pattern would look like at night. I installed LEDs in a '50 Ford and the pattern isn't as good as I would like.

Anyway, After it got dark out, I turned the LED headlights on to return my 5W to the car hauler (trailer) and I was pleasantly surprised to see the pattern actually where it needed to be and not in the trees etc. I didn't adjust the generator. In the daytime my amp gauge reads about 6-8 amps when driving. With the LEDs, my amp gauge read about 1-2 amps on the plus side. I am also running LED taillight bulbs.

I believe now I will go ahead and order a couple more of the LED bulbs to install in my '30 Town Sedan.

Stay Safe,
Pat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LED Headlights on 1932 Ford C.jpg (87.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg LED Headlights on 1932 Ford B.jpg (23.0 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg LED Headlights on 1932 Ford A.jpg (43.0 KB, 31 views)
Pat/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 07:50 AM   #40
77Birdman

As a source for parts, try 'superbrightled's' a web search should bring them up. I do not know whether or not they have stuff to fit an 'A', but I have gotten some stuff for my modern old car.
Because all new cars use them, and I suppose the lack of ability to focus an aim?, MD inspections no longer test headlights. They used to have an aiming board with a couple of horizontal lines to use as headlight adjustments, these are no longer effective with led's.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote