Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-08-2017, 09:01 AM   #1
91A-77B

Default MAC's

Here's a new one for you. I placed an order by phone with MAC's yesterday. When email confirmation came, out of 6 items ordered, 5 had prices higher than listed in their 2017 catalog. When I called to complain, I was told catalogs are printed a year or 2 in advance, and prices change. I responded that MAC's should take this into consideration when preparing the catalog, and that I was buying product at quoted prices. (I should add that the person taking the order yesterday, did not advise of any price increases). So the person I spoke to today put me on hold for 5 minutes while she consulted with her supervisor. Here comes the fun part. When I go to their Lockport, NY "warehouse" (order is shipped there from Florida) to pick up the order, I must take a copy of their catalog with me, show the person I speak to the catalog prices vs. the prices I was charged, and I will receive a credit!!! When I asked if there wouldn't be a catalog at the warehouse, she said "just in case they haven't got one" I should bring mine with me. Also, their "system" does not enable them to credit me from head office. Incredible! Word of caution; make sure you confirm prices if you decide to do business with these guys. Sounds to me like they need to re-think their entire business model. Forewarned is forearmed.
91A-77B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:10 AM   #2
TagMan

Default Re: MAC's

MAC'S poor business practices, are legend. If one has done any research on them before buying, they purchase at their own peril. I would never do business with them again, nor would I do business with any member company of the Huffman Group. Buyer beware !
TagMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:11 AM   #3
itslow

Do the part prices in the printed catalogs vary from what is shown on the online catalog? Did they not inform you of the total amount charged to your card when you placed the order via the phone?

http://www.macsautoparts.com/

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:31 AM   #4
grumppyoldman

I ordered rear hubs and brake drums from them, they had no hubs but sent the drums. I got the hubs from Speedway, when the parts arrived they were all in Speedway boxes. Al
grumppyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:49 AM   #5
zippi

On my last order one of the items was a windshield regulator crank handle for my 37 pickup. I did not see the clip and washer listed so I ask and even sent them a pic. They got back with me and said they got with there technician and showed him the pic I sent and he said both parts are included with the crank handle. Well....they were not. I have emailed them multiple times about sending me the parts that I did not receive. I get no response from them.
zippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 03:59 PM   #6
willowbilly3

Do they even sell anything you can't get someplace else? I used them once many years ago and never again.
willowbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 04:06 PM   #7
FRANK PKNY

I had a poor experience with them this past year, I will never use them again. They have a NY address, however the parts come from elsewhere. They never got back to me on a part they shipped in error and charge me for, never responded to phone calls, or emails. Very poor Company to do business with. It changed hands and now is run like a third world corporation.
Old 08-08-2017, 04:24 PM   #8
FrankWest

MAC's got really bad when they moved to Florida.. Use their catalogue as a rough guide for what you need, then order the part from someone else. The last time I ordered from Mac's was a rubber door strap for my 1933. They were out of it and I had to wait over a month....Never again.
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:47 PM   #9
Mac VP

It would be unfair to assume that printed catalog prices are guaranteed until the next printing. I'm not sure what they print in theirs but our terms (printed in our catalog and on our website) state that all prices are subject to change without notice. When you have thousands of items available, it's impossible to hold prices on every item for a year while your costs rise on various items.

We often absorb many modest cost increases for a year or more, but some increases could overrun your actual selling price if you didn't adjust your pricing as needed. We always suggest verifying pricing when placing a phone order with us, as we will always have current pricing at our fingertips for quoting. Our website prices are kept updated weekly.

Catalogs are expensive to produce and distribute......and very time consuming to prepare. Nobody from the largest corporations down to the many small businesses would or should ever attempt to guarantee prices in a yearly catalog. You would not stay in business for long trying to do so.

I can't speak to their business practices (or anyone else in this business) but it would have been appropriate for the sales rep to have given the customer the various individual prices or at least a total for the order.

It's funny......not one customer has ever complained when we dropped our selling price on something found in our catalog at a higher price......or insisted on paying the higher cost either.
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:50 PM   #10
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac VP View Post
It would be unfair to assume that printed catalog prices are guaranteed until the next printing. I'm not sure what they print in theirs but our terms (printed in our catalog and on our website) state that all prices are subject to change without notice. When you have thousands of items available, it's impossible to hold prices on every item for a year while your costs rise on various items.

We often absorb many modest cost increases for a year or more, but some increases could overrun your actual selling price if you didn't adjust your pricing as needed. We always suggest verifying pricing when placing a phone order with us, as we will always have current pricing at our fingertips for quoting. Our website prices are kept updated weekly.

Catalogs are expensive to produce and distribute......and very time consuming to prepare. Nobody from the largest corporations down to the many small businesses would or should ever attempt to guarantee prices in a yearly catalog. You would not stay in business for long trying to do so.

I can't speak to their business practices (or anyone else in this business) but it would have been appropriate for the sales rep to have given the customer the various individual prices or at least a total for the order.

It's funny......not one customer has ever complained when we dropped our selling price on something found in our catalog at a higher price......or insisted on paying the higher cost either.
Finally! - A voice of reason when it comes to 'MAC's"....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 06:19 PM   #11
tubman

All I know is that I haven't bought anything from them in years. I quit buying Corvette parts from Ecklers several years before that.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 06:32 PM   #12
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by petehoovie View Post
Finally! - A voice of reason when it comes to 'MAC's"....
I think it's a horrible disservice and insult to Mac VP (Mac VanPelt) to use that other similar-sounding name ("MAC's") in the same comparison. It's hard enough for some of the newer guys on here to realize that the two names are in fact, two DIFFERENT entities, and that they represent two entirely different sets of values and business ethics. Mac VP is one of the most "stand-up", knowledgeable and ethical business people you could ever deal with. That "other" outfit..........READ THE REVIEWS ABOVE! The reviews are accurate! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:24 PM   #13
russcc

Coop -right on target. used Mac's in Lockport 10 year ago, once was enough. Mac Van Pelt is a true asset for our hobby, and an expert on transmissions and the like. The two are worlds apart.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:25 PM   #14
tubman

"V8COOPMAN" - You're right. I think there maybe some "newbies" that might get them confused. You are absolutely right in making sure that everyone knows the difference. There couldn't be two more different, similarly named operations on the planet.

Last edited by tubman; 08-08-2017 at 08:04 PM.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:03 PM   #15
Capt Kirk

I ordered a coil from MAC's over 2 years ago...was back ordered and (thankfully) it still hasn't arrived. They said they'd send it as soon as they could get it. I don't want it now. Sent my coil to Skip and got it back in about a week and couldn't be happier. I've had some other not so good experiences with them so I won't be doing business with them anymore.
Empty wallet
Capt Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:10 PM   #16
bosborn38pu

My journey on restoring my 38 pickup has led me to many different vendors and a considerable investment of time and resources. Given the difficulty in finding reliable parts, I've considered it fortunate that I (we) still have so many sources for parts and supplies for our aging vehicles. My experience with Mac's, and the other vendors, has been positive with very, very few exceptions.
bosborn38pu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:20 PM   #17
mountstimothy0

Ive always used Midwest early Ford's. They have never failed me. In fact ive always got my stuff earlier than estimated

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk
mountstimothy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:24 PM   #18
d.conrad

There are many other Ford part vendors to buy from. Forget about MAC'S.
d.conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:31 PM   #19
Greg58

I've ordered from Mac's a few times with no problems, most was before they joined Ecklers. I did order door seals once that came in a D. Carpenter box.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:41 AM   #20
TJ

I use C and G , All Ford Parts, and Bob Drake out here on the left coast. Never had a problem with any of them. Also have bought V-8 parts on e-Bay and have not had any issues, but I do check seller feedback. It appears since Mac's was bought by a big corporation that there has been a lot of complaints. One way to get their attention is to buy from other vendors. They are not the only game in town.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote