Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-23-2016, 01:47 AM   #1
1930marie

Default New tires recommendations

Looking to buy new tires for a 30 deluxe roadster. I'm looking at either another set of Firestones or the cool looking Goodyear diamond treads. The Goodyears Im told will fit the best in the dual sidemounts at full 35lbs, whereas the Firestones will not. Which tire wears and handles the best? The roadster is limited to a grocery getter. Thanks!
Old 02-23-2016, 02:01 AM   #2
DougVieyra

Default Re: New tires recommendations

The new GoodYear Tires feature the original tread and sidewall design, and are the correct size for the Model A. The Goodyear tires are too new to tell how many decades they will last.

The Firestone tires are over-sized and not of the original design. However, it is important that you like them if you buy them, because you will be looking at them for 15 to 30 years, depending on how many miles you put on them.

I have always preferred the look of the original Goodyear 'Diamond Tread' tires, however all my three Model A's came with Firestone tires. I have been waiting for thirty years for them to wear out so that I can be justified in buying a new set of Goodyear 'Diamond Tread' tires. After all this time they still show no signs of wearing out.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 02:24 AM   #3
TerryH

I got new Goodyear tires for my Town Sedan a couple of years ago, and really like the way the car handles now. I had BF Goodrich before, and my car would really get pulled by those tar strips....not at all with the Goodyears. It tracks really, really well, and I am very happy with them, plus they just look "right".
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 02:59 AM   #4
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

I have Goodyears on three of my A's and a 1931 Chevrolet. I could not be happier with their looks and performance. The whitewalls keep very white. They are worth the extra money. Lots of positive comments. Wayne

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 02-23-2016 at 07:53 AM.
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 03:40 AM   #5
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

My firestones wore out in about 5000 miles.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:57 AM   #6
Mitch//pa
BANNED

I like the goodyears, Kelsey tire is a good place to get them... If you have a business to go through tell them on the phone and they discount them substantially more then the Internet prices.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:52 AM   #7
goodoldvic

I got just under 6000 on my 21 inch firestones. Correct alignment, tire pressure and rotation(every two oil changes 1000 miles or so). They are worn evenly, but none the less worn.
goodoldvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:56 AM   #8
todd3131

I have a set of Goodyear's on my car and I have somewhere around 25 to 30 k on them roughly. I do need to replace them and I'm going back to them. The only difference between my 40 year old set and the new ones is the outer most part of the white wall detail is different and they say is correct other than that they are the same. I can't comment on the rubber composition being the same as new I'm not a chemist.
todd3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:33 AM   #9
ed thibodeau

My Goodyear tires on my pickup (23 yrs) are much better than the Firestones on my Tudor (19 yrs) with about the same miles.
ed thibodeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 12:03 PM   #10
DougVieyra

In looking at the difference in the milage life of the Firestone tires I suspect that they are from different manufacturers and different composition. My long-lasting Firestone tires are from the 1970's (New Zealand, I think) and I suspect that the other Firestone tires mentioned with the lesser life are from a more recent vintage and from a different manufacturer and country.

The same thing with the 'Goodyear' tires. The NEW issue tires that are of the original tread & sidewall design as used on New 1928-'31 Model A's, are of recent production and are NOT the same 'Goodyear' tire sidewall and manufacturer as the earlier 'Goodyear' tires made during the 1940's,'50's and '60's. Those earlier Goodyear tires (all U.S.made) may have a longer life than the Firestone tires that are made today.

So I am suggesting that we might want to be careful to evaluate our tire life by taking into consideration : Country of manufacture , and time of manufacture - both of which may indicate varying levels of quality of materials and production.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:09 PM   #11
todd3131

[QUOTE=DougVieyra;1246743]In looking at the difference in the milage life of the Firestone tires I suspect that they are from different manufacturers and different composition. My long-lasting Firestone tires are from the 1970's (New Zealand, I think) and I suspect that the other Firestone tires mentioned with the lesser life are from a more recent vintage and from a different manufacturer and country.

The same thing with the 'Goodyear' tires. The NEW issue tires that are of the original tread & sidewall design as used on New 1928-'31 Model A's, are of recent production and are NOT the same 'Goodyear' tire sidewall and manufacturer as the earlier 'Goodyear' tires made during the 1940's,'50's and '60's. Those earlier Goodyear tires (all U.S.made) may have a longer life than the Firestone tires that are made today.

So I am suggesting that we might want to be careful to evaluate our tire life by taking into consideration : Country of manufacture , and time of manufacture - both of which may indicate varying levels of quality of materials and production.[/QUOTE
You are correct even though my 40 year old tires look like the new current production I have no way of knowing if they will wear the same way.
todd3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:00 PM   #12
goodoldvic

The Firestones in my post were from universal tire and put on the car in 2013, they say made in USA. I'm replacing them with a set of Excelsior's made in India, unsure of the age of the Excelsior's. A fellow barner turned me onto a sweet deal on them, and I plan on running the rubber off them too, hope they last longer than six thousand miles.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:37 PM   #13
Mitch//pa
BANNED

It's easy to blame the tires but a contributor to premature tire wear is the toe setting being wrong... The broom sticks and shower curtain rods are a guess at best..
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:00 PM   #14
1930marie

Thanks everyone - your input has been extremely helpful and a good reminder of how to get the max miles out of the Goodyears I ordered today. Sincerely - many thanks for taking the time to post. ~ Michael
Old 02-23-2016, 09:12 PM   #15
goodoldvic

My shower curtain rod broom stick method works just fine thanx, perhaps the type of roads, heat and tire material might be looked at. Maybe they are more "show" than go tires.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:29 PM   #16
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodoldvic View Post
I got just under 6000 on my 21 inch firestones. Correct alignment, tire pressure and rotation(every two oil changes 1000 miles or so). They are worn evenly, but none the less worn.
In my opinion, rotation every 1000 miles is excessive and not necessary. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:08 PM   #17
updraught

The Comp V racing tyres supposedly last for 15,000 miles, from what I gather.
Half the life of a road tyre. This is a sticky tyre.

To last only 5000 miles it must be extremely sticky.

When braking does it try to bury the car in the road?
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:22 PM   #18
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodoldvic View Post
Yup, just like mine.

I'm starting to believe that the tires made today are for looks only.