Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-02-2023, 09:33 PM   #21
Dave in MN

Default Re: "New Engine" driven to Deadhorse (Prudhoe Bay), Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model "A" Fords View Post
How many miles per U.S. gallon is it doing now?
17 mpg pulling the trailer if kept between 55 and 60 mph.
16 mpg if over 60 mph

18 if just the car and held between 60-65.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 08:48 AM   #22
Robert/Texas

Dave, your trip absolutely amazes me. Some years ago, my wife and I drove our 2005 Chevy Avalanche about 20 miles or so to a primitive RV park around 20 or 30 miles north of Coldfoot. We were thinking about driving our motorhome there but gave up on the idea. We got one flat tire and when I got back to Fairbanks, I replaced all the tires on the pickup. Two years later we flew to Deadhorse, spent the night there and visited the Prudhoe Bay infrastructure. We returned to Fairbanks in a tourist van. We really enjoyed that trip.
Robert/Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 09-07-2023, 02:54 PM   #23
Terry Burtz, Calif

Dave Gerald is home from Alaska and the following is an email from earlier today that I was cc'd on because it is an order for more parts from John Lampl.

Hi John ,
I made it back safely from the road trip to Alaska. No issues at all with the engine. Frankly, the engine was the least of my concerns for the trip.
I now have over 33,500 hard miles on the Burtz block. I know the assembly manual makes a statement about expectations form the block kit. I won't look it up, but it is something like: "Don't expect to keep up with modern traffic with the new engine." I understand why such a statement is made. With the right head and parts, that statement could be removed. The engine has no problem handling the extra loads from the use of a Miller Hi-Speed Head. Following the limited social media I do and from what I have read, I have to believe sn; 0007, my engine, must be one of the few engines really worked hard. The loaded weight of my travel rig was 4,840 lb. The camper 1460 lb and the car 3,380 lb. I climbed lots of hills where the drivetrain was worked extremely hard and the components never gave issue.
Well, Let's just say I am very pleased with what you and Terry have delivered to market.

John, When you have time, please email me an order/invoice for the following order:

6 - Motor kits
5 - Camshafts
4 - Heads
8 - Flywheels

The parts above are for replenishing my stock. I am not in a rush to get them as they are intended for "winter" projects. Please use normal delivery times and methods.

Thanks,
Dave Gerold
Terry Burtz, Calif is offline   Reply With Quote