Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-20-2021, 04:55 PM   #1
Bobpro

Default Headlight Issue

I am experiencing an issue with the light switch lever positions on the steering wheel and/or headlights. With the Pandemic and not having driven during the night for a number of years, I do not know how to resolve my problem.
Many years ago, I converted my 1930 Closed Cab Pickup to 12 volts with an alternator. Last month while driving home from a night meeting of our local Antique Auto Club, I had to use the headlights. Remembering the light switch clock positions, with 6:00 o’clock being the OFF position, I moved the lever to the 5:00 o’clock position. The headlight was very bright, and had tail lights. So I moved the lever to the 4:00 o’clock position. I had no lights, no headlights, nor tail lights. I then moved the lever to the 7:00 o’clock position. I had very bright headlights, and tail lights. In other words, my headlights are either NONE or BRIGHT. When BRIGHT, both headlight bulbs are lit.
I know this is NOT correct. But I do not know where to start to determine the issue. The center headlight bulb is a Quartz Halogen bulb, with double contacts on the bottom. The upper headlight bulb is a “conventional” bulb, with a single contact on the bottom. I have determined that BOTH bulbs are lit when in the 5:00 o’clock and 7:00 o’clock positions.
I opened the Light Switch Body and cleaned the contact points to remove any oil residue, thinking maybe that is my cause of issue. However, this did not resolve the problem.
So, do I have issues with the bulbs, as to not being correct? Or could it be an issue in the Light Switch Body, with maybe the light switch spider being installed improperly?
Getting older, and forgetting some of the basics?

Bob
Bobpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 05:07 PM   #2
Bob C

Default Re: Headlight Issue

6:00 is off 5:00 is low 4:00 is high and 7:00 is park.
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 06:31 PM   #3
Bobpro

Yes, Bob, I am aware of those locations. That is why I am aware I have an issue.
Bobpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 06:47 PM   #4
SteveE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobpro View Post
I am experiencing an issue with the light switch lever positions on the steering wheel and/or headlights. With the Pandemic and not having driven during the night for a number of years, I do not know how to resolve my problem.
Many years ago, I converted my 1930 Closed Cab Pickup to 12 volts with an alternator. Last month while driving home from a night meeting of our local Antique Auto Club, I had to use the headlights. Remembering the light switch clock positions, with 6:00 o’clock being the OFF position, I moved the lever to the 5:00 o’clock position. The headlight was very bright, and had tail lights. So I moved the lever to the 4:00 o’clock position. I had no lights, no headlights, nor tail lights. I then moved the lever to the 7:00 o’clock position. I had very bright headlights, and tail lights. In other words, my headlights are either NONE or BRIGHT. When BRIGHT, both headlight bulbs are lit.
I know this is NOT correct. But I do not know where to start to determine the issue. The center headlight bulb is a Quartz Halogen bulb, with double contacts on the bottom. The upper headlight bulb is a “conventional” bulb, with a single contact on the bottom. I have determined that BOTH bulbs are lit when in the 5:00 o’clock and 7:00 o’clock positions.
I opened the Light Switch Body and cleaned the contact points to remove any oil residue, thinking maybe that is my cause of issue. However, this did not resolve the problem.
So, do I have issues with the bulbs, as to not being correct? Or could it be an issue in the Light Switch Body, with maybe the light switch spider being installed improperly?
Getting older, and forgetting some of the basics?

Bob
Hi Bob,

It sounds like the contacts in the light switch bail could be worn out, shorting out or getting oil form the steering gear. Unclip the bail and take a look in there. Also, check the wires to bail as they jiggle around and sometime pop off the connectors.

Steve
SteveE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 06:52 PM   #5
SteveE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveE View Post
Hi Bob,

It sounds like the contacts in the light switch bail could be worn out, shorting out or getting oil form the steering gear. Unclip the bail and take a look in there. Also, check the wires to bail as they jiggle around and sometime pop off the connectors.

Steve
Sorry, looks like you already check those. Maybe the horn rod it's pushing the bail cap away from the body when you rotate the light switch or moving the whole bail. I found that adding a zip tie around the bail body keeps it from rotating when I turn the switch. Just a thought.
SteveE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 10:30 PM   #6
700rpm

It sounds like a problem in the harness-lights contacts plate. Something in that lower steering column/main electrical junction is where I’d look first.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 04:20 AM   #7
shew01

Default Headlight Issue

Did the lights work correctly in the past, i.e., is this a new behavior? Or, have your lights always worked like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by shew01; 04-21-2021 at 02:07 PM.
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 07:24 AM   #8
Stingray70

Another easy thing to check is the headlight conduit connectors. When I got my car the incorrect bullets were on the wiring harness. They were making contact with one another in the round plastic piece (at the back of the headlight) causing all sorts of bizarre lighting combinations.

I took the connectors apart, separated the wires and checked each one with a voltmeter. I would have sworn it was a bad switch but it wasn't. In my case I installed the correct bullets and replaced the plastic connector inserts.