Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-01-2022, 04:05 PM   #1
slatgrille

Default '29 RPU seat

Does anyone have a pic showing the seat/back and how they are attached to the riser and wood slats? I've looked in the books/manuals I have and see nothing that helps. I have a decent seat spring, but no bottom 'pan'. I have no idea how to do this or what hardware is used/needed.

Except for attaching my rear fenders and wiring up my horn and lights, this rig is ready for the road! Sitting on an old tire covered with a piece of plywood is not my idea of a 'comfortable ride'....

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Craig
slatgrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 05:18 PM   #2
wrndln

Default Re: '29 RPU seat

Do you have Mack Hils "Restoring the Model A Pickup" booklet? It is not too good, but does have pictures of the seatback slats and seat frame for 28/29 open pickups (page 11 & 12). There are small wood blocks attached to the slats at the top and cut at an angle. If you don't have the book, I can take some pictures of the pictures in the book and post them. Let me know.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 09:41 PM   #3
slatgrille

Thanks Rusty, I don't have that book. Pics sure will help. Are there any other books relating to the open roadster p/u? My uncle built the bed from oak and framed up the cab doors and panels from wood before he passed away unexpectedly in 1990. After gathering dust at his son's house for 30 years, I acquired it and put my 'touch' to it figuring out how he might have finished it. I bought a repro back panel and made the wood pieces fit. I then used sheet metal screwed onto the inside of the wood frames. My seat riser is also a repro so that is why I'm asking for help.

Once it's done I'll post some pics. Thanks again!

Craig
Old 08-02-2022, 03:35 PM   #4
slatgrille

Any seat experts on the forum? I'm thinking the 'A' should be more comfortable than my jeep!
Old 08-02-2022, 03:49 PM   #5
wrndln

I took pictures of the 2 pages in Mack Hils booklet of the seatback wood for a 28/29 OCPU and attached them. I have a 29 CCPU that appears to have the same 4 seatback wood pieces as an OCPU. I took some pictures of them and attached them. The machine screws holding the seatback spring clip are temporary - semi-tubular rivets were originally used. Hope this helps.

Rusty Nelson
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_7639.jpg (49.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 100_7640.jpg (27.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 100_7641.jpg (23.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 100_7642.jpg (17.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 100_7643.jpg (19.1 KB, 8 views)
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 05:32 PM   #6
slatgrille

Thank you Rusty. The repro seat riser I mounted doesn't have the original center contours for the reinforcement board shown. I made the 4 vertical slats and will probably purchase the 'belt rail' wood. So now the question is, 'how does the seat attach to the riser'? It's got those 'funky' triangular brackets at the front edge, and the large ovals at each rear corner. The seat back I assume hooks to the angular metal clips? Just need to figure out the locating dimensions now.

Thanks for the time you took posting these pics, it sure helps!

Craig